+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil Warnock interview with Sky

Neil Warnock interview with Sky

Re: Neil Warnock interview with Sky

Everything I hear about us is very negative. Even the manager seems to be getting his excuses in early on.

Whilst I understand a large part of it comes down to how much you spend, there has got to be some sort of plan and the chairman has got to somehow make another 20 million available, at least to get us on the same page as the rest. If we don't have the personnel, then it's not down to the crowd to get us there, it's down to the fricking manager to train harder and to be more creative tactically.

You can't say " we are stuffed cause we don't have the cash" and on the other hand say "the fans have to be up for it". It's almost as if the chairman and manager have washed their hands of this season already and are leaving it to the players and fans to see what they can do with this car-crash of a season. That's what it feels like to me.

I cannot see Warnock lasting too long with this kind of attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Everything I hear about us is very negative. Even the manager seems to be getting his excuses in early on.

Whilst I understand a large part of it comes down to how much you spend, there has got to be some sort of plan and the chairman has got to somehow make another 20 million available, at least to get us on the same page as the rest. If we don't have the personnel, then it's not down to the crowd to get us there, it's down to the fricking manager to train harder and to be more creative tactically.

You can't say " we are stuffed cause we don't have the cash" and on the other hand say "the fans have to be up for it". It's almost as if the chairman and manager have washed their hands of this season already and are leaving it to the players and fans to see what they can do with this car-crash of a season. That's what it feels like to me.

There is a middle ground between Optimism and Negativity. It's called Reality.

I see his statement as being more realistic than negative.

The last thing I would want would be false optimism.

I want to win the lottery jackpot, I hope that I will, but I don't expect to. That doesn't stop me buying a ticket.

I want us to avoid relegation, I hope that we will, but at this point I realistically don't expect to. That will not stop me supporting the club.

Warnocks been in the game a long time and knows how to play the media. However, I didn’t read the likes of David Wagner sending out those kind of “realistic” vibes with Huddersfield last year. He said they weren’t there to make up the numbers, backed himself and got the rewards.

Agree with both of the last 2 posts. It doesn’t need to be overplayed by Warnock (everyone understands I think).

And we’re literally one game in and we’re arguably the more threatening side in the 2nd half of that game. We may get a couple of hidings from Man City and Liverpool but outside of that we will lost many more than we win but we’ll be competitive as will the scores

I reckon he believes he can keep us up. We weren’t expected to make the playoffs last season, and went up automatically. He’s just playing the underdog. Be an interesting interview if we hammer Newcastle with our full strength side.

Warnock has been around a long time, and he knows how to shake off responsibility. Almost very loss is down to refereeing.

The problem with "making another £20m available" is that the transfer window doesn't open until Cardiff have played 20 games, and it is unlikely they will have anyone else in by game 21.

What the club have done, very cleverly, is dupe fans into thinking that this is a "bonus" year, and that the club will come out of it in great shape. That all sounds lovely, but it is as ambiguous, vague and vacuous as anything I hear. All I kept hearing during the Sam era and the "£100m investment" era was "It's not our money, why should we worry?". The VERY same people are now saying "It's important that the club doesn't over spend". But, it's not YOUR money, so why are you bothered.

How many fans can honestly say that they will walk out of match day 21 with the club struggling and saying "at least we'll be in a better shape because of this". Then what? Another Championship promotion season, then another season of being uncompetitive and frugal. Warnock has obviously built a team ready for the next promotion campaign, but he's unlikely to be there when it kicks off. Also, how easy is it to go from a "car-crash" of a season as a group of individuals into a "promotion here we come" campaign. Craig Noone was the one getting plaudits in the last promotion season, where is he now? Caulker? Marshall? Turner? Kim Bo Kyung? All players who, theoretically, could have been part of a second promotion campaign who went on to struggle because of a season of being whipped, or went on to leave because they felt they were too good for the Championship etc etc.

On paper Cardiff have a very good Championship team (although a dodgy midfield). How good will that look if the team goes down (in the way that Warnock seems to be preparing people for)? Of course, this could all be "reverse-psychology" and making it "us against the world" - no harm in that. But, as a message, it's pretty uninspiring isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Agree with both of the last 2 posts. It doesn’t need to be overplayed by Warnock (everyone understands I think).

And we’re literally one game in and we’re arguably the more threatening side in the 2nd half of that game. We may get a couple of hidings from Man City and Liverpool but outside of that we will lost many more than we win but we’ll be competitive as will the scores
    For about 20 minutes out of 90, Cardiff were the better team - but it was industrious, lacked quality and lacked end product. This in a game some people on here perceived as a relegation 6 pointer.

I'm all for positivity (my earlier posts for example) but this is already starting to sound like we've come to terms with relegation. We very well could be but still. We all know how difficult this season is but hearing it over and over again from the manager sounds more defeatist than motivational. In reality there ARE teams that we can beat if we play well enough. But suggesting we can't before a ball is even licked against those teams...

I'm still "In Warnock We Trust" but using the same man management technique as last season doesn't seem like the best idea. We were underdogs last season. We're EVERYBODY'S favourite to finish last this season. It's not the same. So when you say we're shit, we believe it. Before, during and after the game.

All I'm saying is please beat Newcastle so we can ignore Warnock's doomsday narrative and get back to being excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I'm all for positivity (my earlier posts for example) but this is already starting to sound like we've come to terms with relegation. We very well could be but still. We all know how difficult this season is but hearing it over and over again from the manager sounds more defeatist than motivational. In reality there ARE teams that we can beat if we play well enough. But suggesting we can't before a ball is even licked against those teams...

I'm still "In Warnock We Trust" but using the same man management technique as last season doesn't seem like the best idea. We were underdogs last season. We're EVERYBODY'S favourite to finish last this season. It's not the same. So when you say we're shit, we believe it. Before, during and after the game.

All I'm saying is please beat Newcastle so we can ignore Warnock's doomsday narrative and get back to being excited.
    I refuse to edit this.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Warnocks been in the game a long time and knows how to play the media. However, I didn’t read the likes of David Wagner sending out those kind of “realistic” vibes with Huddersfield last year. He said they weren’t there to make up the numbers, backed himself and got the rewards.
    Fans respond to effort on the pitch more than anything. I think he's just trying to ensure that If we do a Palace of 17/18 and struggle in early games that fans stay on side and help pull us up the table.

The weaker the side is the more positive and supportive the crowd need to be. Season just started and no reason we can't stay up, even if it will be a challenge.

No one wants us to stay up because they deem us coming up as a fluke, through the use of 'defensive' football. Just lots of noise from teams who've spent a bit more and need to ensure they gel to stay up.

He was saying similar last season. He believes we can stay up as do the players but realistically it's going to be a challenge, just as promotion was.

The media want sexy football, like how Wolves and Fulham played for a lot of last season. What they have forgotten about is the way we battered the big boys in the first few months of last season. The majority of pundits didn't take us seriously until after the January 2018 window closed and by that time we were playing percentage football.

What Warnock is saying is that the fans can help the team get back to that way of playing. We can physically dominate teams who underestimate us if we get our key players on the pitch. We will need to generate an intimidating home atmosphere where the opposition lose concentration and thats when we hurt teams.

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with what we've done over the summer or the rhetoric from Warnock. If Fulham or Wolves under perform they will be forced into a fire sale next season, whereas we would be quite stable.

If you are playing poker, you don't tell the other players you have 4 aces !!!!!!

Calm down, as long as the players put the effort in, that's all we can ask.

I would prefer our bunch, to that of Wolvesalona and Fulshit, when the going gets tough.

Behind the scenes the team will be fired up and im sure believe they will stay up.

We've played one game, we've had no off-the-field dramas so far and we have 2/3 new signings who might yet play an influential part. Perhaps a tadge too early to be describing it already as a car-crash of a season?

Warnock played down expectations all last season too and it worked. We are quite likely to be relegated but we aren’t yet and we’ve only played one game. The next 2 games will give us a much better view.

We didn’t create much against Bournemouth but we held our own against a very good team away from home.

We’ve got a few new players to come in Saturday plus hopefully zohore. Let’s not panic just yet.

I'm not quite sure what was expected. I would have been pretty concerned if we'd approached the season in the way Wolves and Fulham have given the unpredictable nature of our owner. I think we've got the balance about right and I'm not waving the white-flag either yet.

The interview seem very much Warnock's style. I'm certainly not going to criticise him for his approach based on his performance to date. Ultimately all of these quotes/interviews sound OK, or not, depending on results, so I tend to take them with a pinch of salt. if we survive he'll probably be labelled a genius for taking the pressure off the players. If we finish bottom he'll be criticised for a lack of ambition. Let's see what happens.

Ideally I’d liked us to have spent a little bit more and brought in some genuine quality. Unless we have a few surprised I just feel like every other side has one or two players of genuine quality who can a few minutes of magic and change a game.

Unless ried or Murphy really kick on this season it’s a bit hard to see where that will come from.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post

I want to win the lottery jackpot, I hope that I will, but I don't expect to. That doesn't stop me buying a ticket.

I want us to avoid relegation, I hope that we will, but at this point I realistically don't expect to. That will not stop me supporting the club.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    For about 20 minutes out of 90, Cardiff were the better team - but it was industrious, lacked quality and lacked end product. This in a game some people on here perceived as a relegation 6 pointer.
    And this.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post

Think you've hit the spot.

So many clubs over spend and then fail and then have to deal with the long term fall out ( see Cardiff's last promotion to this level ) .

Yes we probably have the weakest squad in skill and value in the Premiership , therefore you are categorized as likely to be bottom,that is a sensible option .

If we had spent 300 million we would be talking top 10 .

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Behind the scenes the team will be fired up and im sure believe they will stay up.
    As long as this is the case, I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Ideally I’d liked us to have spent a little bit more and brought in some genuine quality. Unless we have a few surprised I just feel like every other side has one or two players of genuine quality who can a few minutes of magic and change a game.

Unless ried or Murphy really kick on this season it’s a bit hard to see where that will come from.
    One of the main issues with promoted clubs, is attracting players of proven quality.
    In our case it is doubly hard as Wolves and Fulham are seen as sides playing quality football so have potential.
    Cardiff, on the other hand, are seen by pundits and the media as making it into the Premiership by a strange fluke.

There were strong rumours over the weeks that Arter really did not fancy signing for Cardiff ?
    If that is true of a fringe player in the low level club, where do we go ?
    I think Warnocks concept of bringing in hungry players with potential (and a point to prove) may well be the right choice.
    I hope we give Camarasa a chance as he may have the quality and ability that could help us.
    As has been said above, 11 gritty players who will tackle anything that moves will not keep us up.