+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil Warnock interview with Sky

Re: Neil Warnock interview with Sky

I thought Arter chose us over Watford so that was good at least.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    One of the main issues with promoted clubs, is attracting players of proven quality.
    In our case it is doubly hard as Wolves and Fulham are seen as sides playing quality football so have potential.
    Cardiff, on the other hand, are seen by pundits and the media as making it into the Premiership by a strange fluke.

There were strong rumours over the weeks that Arter really did not fancy signing for Cardiff ?
    If that is true of a fringe player in the low level club, where do we go ?
    I think Warnocks concept of bringing in hungry players with potential (and a point to prove) may well be the right choice.
    I hope we give Camarasa a chance as he may have the quality and ability that could help us.
    As has been said above, 11 gritty players who will tackle anything that moves will not keep us up.
    Wolves and Fulham have loads of cash, we don't. That's all you need to put. Watford supposedly wanted Arter, he's here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Wolves and Fulham have loads of cash, we don't. That's all you need to put. Watford supposedly wanted Arter, he's here.
    Not so straight forward.
    The point I was trying to make is that even without any signings, both Wolves and Fulham would not get the level of negativity as Cardiff. This has the effect on potential players signing.
    I think our squad looks ok - as long as we can score goals

The comments are almost Slade-esque.
    'We're not shopping at Harrods anymore'

I didn't wait a lifetime to hear more of that defeatist talk.
    Come on Neil, we're here now, let's make a feckin go of it

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Not so straight forward.
    The point I was trying to make is that even without any signings, both Wolves and Fulham would not get the level of negativity as Cardiff. This has the effect on potential players signing.
    I think our squad looks ok - as long as we can score goals
    Wolves have spent a fortune, Fulham have spent a fortune. Wolves sign players because Jorge Mendes tells them to sign, Shahid Khan at Fulham is possibly richer than Ambramovich. Our wage bill in 16/17 was half of that of Fulham's. We wanted Jefferson Lerma and offered 6m, he went to Bournemouth for 28m. It is all about money. If we spent the same as Fulham, we wouldn't be getting the negativity we are.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think you've hit the spot.

So many clubs over spend and then fail and then have to deal with the long term fall out ( see Cardiff's last promotion to this level ) .

Yes we probably have the weakest squad in skill and value in the Premiership , therefore you are categorized as likely to be bottom,that is a sensible option .

If we had spent 300 million we would be talking top 10 .

If we had spent £50m, £100m, £200m or £300m the expectations of fans would have been different. Undoubtedly there would be much debate as to what we should expect for each amount. As you say £300m might be top ten or better, £50m a better chance of avoiding relegation. The pressure would be enormous. The angst if underperforming, destructive.
    I hope that we can be a surprise package and it is far too early to be sure that we cannot.
    But we have a start point and it’s a good one. Do enough to avoid relegation.
    And let’s see not only where we are after say ten matches but what other clubs are doing. It may not just be the lowest spending clubs propping up the table.

This is only a small part of Neil Warnocks interview with Sky - why not listen to the rest on Saturday morning before making a snap judgement about his attitude. In any event in my opinion there is nothing defeatist or negative in what he says, he is just being realistic. It makes me laugh when he states 'The fans have been brilliant this summer, really on board, they know we've not spent a lot of money. But not much negativity'. He obviously hasnt seen the contents of this thread or others on this board recently. Luckily some of the idiots who post on here arent representative of the vast majority who fully support what NW abd the club are doing. The Second poster on this thread is living in cloud cuckoo land.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    If you are playing poker, you don't tell the other players you have 4 aces !!!!!!

Calm down, as long as the players put the effort in, that's all we can ask.

I would prefer our bunch, to that of Wolvesalona and Fulshit, when the going gets tough.
    /\/\ This x 2

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Everything I hear about us is very negative. Even the manager seems to be getting his excuses in early on.

Whilst I understand a large part of it comes down to how much you spend, there has got to be some sort of plan and the chairman has got to somehow make another 20 million available, at least to get us on the same page as the rest. If we don't have the personnel, then it's not down to the crowd to get us there, it's down to the fricking manager to train harder and to be more creative tactically.

You can't say " we are stuffed cause we don't have the cash" and on the other hand say "the fans have to be up for it". It's almost as if the chairman and manager have washed their hands of this season already and are leaving it to the players and fans to see what they can do with this car-crash of a season. That's what it feels like to me.

I cannot see Warnock lasting too long with this kind of attitude.
    Cannot see him lasting long if every one of the fans thought along the same lines as you.

He's playing it cool, just like he did last season right til the very end.
    What would he gain by bigging us up in the media?

His team talks will be a lot different from his tv interviews and the team will be up for the challenge.

What happened to in warnock we trust?

Fulham lost 2-0 at home to Palace
    Wolves drew against 10 man Everton

Is that what spending loads of money gets you

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    We've played one game, we've had no off-the-field dramas so far and we have 2/3 new signings who might yet play an influential part. Perhaps a tadge too early to be describing it already as a car-crash of a season?
    Tell that to NW, I’m just reading between the lines. It’s the way I’m interpreting this “we got no money = we got little chance” mantra eminating from the powers.

The clever thing about this “bluff” ,as some are calling it , is that if it comes true, which is looking very realistic, as others are calling it, then Warnock can say “ I told you so “.

The not so clever thing about it is that he is running the risk of generating apathy amongst the fans. It’s a conflicted message.

“They are a realistic bunch , the Welsh” feels a little condescending as well, but maybe my knickers are becoming a little twisted at that point......still, the Welsh do like a manager with ideas and a nice brand of football (see the Jacks/Martinez).

For me , the underdogs who have stayed up in this division have had one of two things, a manager with good ideas or money. It’s difficult to think of a side that stayed up on spirit alone.

If that is the reality then so be it. That said, this is competetive football and we have to be competitive, otherwise we are goingg to be playing 38 friendlies, and we all know the type of atmosphere that is generated at those games.

.....being competitive is not the same as “giving it your best”. I could give my best but I wouldn’t come anywhere near being competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    If we had spent £50m, £100m, £200m or £300m the expectations of fans would have been different. Undoubtedly there would be much debate as to what we should expect for each amount. As you say £300m might be top ten or better, £50m a better chance of avoiding relegation. The pressure would be enormous. The angst if underperforming, destructive.
    I hope that we can be a surprise package and it is far too early to be sure that we cannot.
    But we have a start point and it’s a good one. Do enough to avoid relegation.
    And let’s see not only where we are after say ten matches but what other clubs are doing. It may not just be the lowest spending clubs propping up the table.
    If we had spent 50 million we’d have a striker now with a good goalscoring record. We’d also have a bit left over for another midfielder, although give me a 20 million pound striker with a 15 goal plus record for three consecutive seasons from any top/second tier side in Europe and I’d be feeling a lot more positive. We’ll call it evens at 45. 45 million for a prem club is nothing. Stick in some relegation clauses and long with the tv rights this season and parachutes next we should be solid.

45 million is not stupid money. Spending 25 is a bit stupid in my opinion, relegation or not. Maybe Tan , a man of his honourable word, is still sticking to his “no red , no money” blackmail.... sorry pledge. Pledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    If we had spent 50 million we’d have a striker now with a good goalscoring record. We’d also have a bit left over for another midfielder, although give me a 20 million pound striker with a 15 goal plus record for three consecutive seasons from any top/second tier side in Europe and I’d be feeling a lot more positive. We’ll call it evens at 45. 45 million for a prem club is nothing. Stick in some relegation clauses and long with the tv rights this season and parachutes next we should be solid.

45 million is not stupid money. Spending 25 is a bit stupid in my opinion, relegation or not. Maybe Tan , a man of his honourable word, is still sticking to his “no red , no money” blackmail.... sorry pledge. Pledge.
    WBA and Swansea both spent more than that as established PL sides last season and were relegated. And co-incidentally it’s what we spent last time when we finished bottom. So not sure there’s a magic figure to spend.

I understand what you’re getting at. But personally I’m far from apathetic and am finding the contrast in approach from last time we were promoted a breath of fresh air and feel much more in tune with club, come what may.

If you think that Warnock is resigned to being relegated; after 1 game then you're wrong. Same as people were wrong when we imploded over Christmas and Warnock was careful with his words and tried to temper expectations. He still had the belief and confidence to rally us and get us back on track.

The hardest part I'm finding already this season; is that everyone has an opinion. And by everyone I don't mean people who actually have an interest in Cardiff City; but people in the office who all of a sudden are experts on Cardiff City because they seen 90 seconds of highlights on Match of the Day. Everything is magnified and everyone is convinced that we're onto a hiding. I'm confident we won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    For about 20 minutes out of 90, Cardiff were the better team - but it was industrious, lacked quality and lacked end product. This in a game some people on here perceived as a relegation 6 pointer.
    Blakey said 9 minutes, and I tend to agree. Also made a good point about having more than one tactical leg in the premier league. Looking forward to the game, on my mobile, in a tent on a fly fishing trip 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post

No. But watch the games, and it shows what it gets you. Hope.

You have to look at what happened with him at QPR.

He was given 0 support and had them doing alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    You have to look at what happened with him at QPR.

He was given 0 support and had them doing alright.
    They spent 27.1m that summer! The previous summer, Championship QPR were seen as big spenders bringing in Taarabt from Spurs for a fee of £3m. He was sacked with the club in 17th spot having picked up 5 points out of the previous 11 games. The final straw being a 2-1 home defeat to Norwich.

Is Kinnock looking to attend another game? Some big ones coming up.

Oops, it's Neil Warnock, not Neil Kinnock

Fulham were really unlucky if you watch the match, Everton have spent a decent amount themselves and Wolves played really well.

Are you writing teams off after one game?

They spent 27.1m that summer! The previous summer, Championship QPR were seen as big spenders bringing in Taarabt from Spurs for a fee of £3m. He was sacked with the club in 17th spot having picked up 5 points out of the previous 11 games. The final straw being a 2-1 home defeat to Norwich.
    They did not spend 27.1m that summer. He spent about 10m, and most of it was on deadline day or after the season had started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E...rs_F.C._season

Are you writing teams off after one game?
    We could go down after spending £100m, and we'd be in the same mess as Warnock inherited. At least this way, we might survive but we probably won't but we'll be stronger than we were. We've got a lot of deficiencies and throwing money at it isn't going to automatically fix them.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They did not spend 27.1m that summer. He spent about 10m, and most of it was on deadline day or after the season had started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E...rs_F.C._season
    In addition, Taarabt cost £1m, not the £3m Kris has stated. QPR were not seen as "big spenders" at all at that time.

If anyone has seen 'The Four Year Plan' documentary about QPR during the Briatore era, they will recognise the amazing job Warnock did there. It's one of the main reasons that I was delighted that we had appointed him as he turned an absolute circus of a club into a promoted club.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    In addition, Taarabt cost £1m, not the £3m Kris has stated. QPR were not seen as "big spenders" at all at that time.

If anyone has seen 'The Four Year Plan' documentary about QPR during the Briatore era, they will recognise the amazing job Warnock did there. It's one of the main reasons that I was delighted that we had appointed him as he turned an absolute circus of a club into a promoted club.
    Read his book and he talks about how they expected new owners in but it didn't materialise until after the transfer window closed, so he ended up signing cheaper players than the ones he had lined up. He actually did pretty well early on too winning a few away games but then got sacked.

I know the book is going to be a little biased but it's definitely worth a read. Just hope he updates it to include rotherham and city when he's done with us.