+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "Swansea being in the Premier League is good for Welsh football..."

Heisenberg

"Swansea being in the Premier League is good for Welsh football..."

Heard that said numerous times when they were struggling last season (and the previous one). My argument was always "but how many Welsh players do they have in their team?" None, was often the answer.

Tonight they've got 2 Welsh players starting for them and one on the bench (all of which were part of their academy).

Is that argument finally put to bed or what???

Heisenberg

Re: "Swansea being in the Premier League is good for Welsh football..."

The third player has now come on... when was the last time they had 3 Welsh players on the pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The third player has now come on... when was the last time they had 3 Welsh players on the pitch?
    I’ve said time and time again that Swansea being relegated would be good for welsh football for this very reason. Always tongue in cheek but pleased to be proven right

17/5/2015 - so 3 years ago. That was in the PL defeat to Man City (4-2). Williams, Richards and Taylor the three Welshmen.

14/8/2016 - 2 years ago was the last time Cardiff had three Welshmen on the pitch in a 2-0 defeat at home to QPR in the Championship. 15,869 people saw Richards, John and Huws on the pitch, but only for 2 minutes before Craig Noone came on for Richards. During these 2 minutes, QPR took the lead through Caulker.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    17/5/2015 - so 3 years ago. That was in the PL defeat to Man City (4-2). Williams, Richards and Taylor the three Welshmen.

14/8/2016 - 2 years ago was the last time Cardiff had three Welshmen on the pitch in a 2-0 defeat at home to QPR in the Championship. 15,869 people saw Richards, John and Huws on the pitch, but only for 2 minutes before Craig Noone came on for Richards. During these 2 minutes, QPR took the lead through Caulker.
    Bloody hell, if City had fielded 3 Welshmen more recently (until tonight) then there's surely no connection with Welsh teams being in the Premier League and "being good for Welsh football".

Thank you for your valued and well researched input, Kris. Much appreciated.

Bloody hell, if City had fielded 3 Welshmen more recently (until tonight) then there's surely no connection with Welsh teams being in the Premier League and "being good for Welsh football".

Thank you for your valued and well researched input, Kris. Much appreciated.
    I think Wales benefited from Swansea being in the PL initially, as a few of their players rose up the leagues with them, but the club outgrew the local talent.

Wales also benefited (to a lesser extent) from Cardiff's rise to the Championship - again though the club outgrew local talent.

I have gone from the "Having Welsh clubs as high as possible in the league is good for Wales" camp to a "It doesn't really matter" camp. I think though that, in football, fans will always put club before country, and whilst they would really love a team full of Welsh players nothing beats a winning team. Owners don't really care either, local talent could be cheaper but it's now an instant results business and owners don't really think long-term anymore. Not a direct criticism of Tan because it is widespread in the whole of football.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I think Wales benefited from Swansea being in the PL initially, as a few of their players rose up the leagues with them, but the club outgrew the local talent.

Wales also benefited (to a lesser extent) from Cardiff's rise to the Championship - again though the club outgrew local talent.

I have gone from the "Having Welsh clubs as high as possible in the league is good for Wales" camp to a "It doesn't really matter" camp. I think though that, in football, fans will always put club before country, and whilst they would really love a team full of Welsh players nothing beats a winning team. Owners don't really care either, local talent could be cheaper but it's now an instant results business and owners don't really think long-term anymore. Not a direct criticism of Tan because it is widespread in the whole of football.
    Agreed. Taylor, Allen and Williams were stalwarts in their promotion. Then Taylor got injured (I think it was in their second season in the PL) and they couldn't replace him outside the window, so Davies deputised (who knows how that story could have unfolded had they been able to sign another LB).

That's 4 very important players for Wales right there... But as soon as they sold them, they couldn't replace them with more youth players because of the risk of relegation and went for more tried and tested players (to varying degrees of success).

Now they're in a position where there is a lot less risk involved so they can afford to play their youth players more often. Also, the fact that they've been truly f**ked over by their board has helped Welsh football as their squad is a bit threadbare. Long may it continue!

The only thing I can think of is that Premier League money used right can provide youth facilities and better coaches to give young talent a better chance. I appreciate that other clubs tend to nick the best youngsters but how are Welsh clubs going to break that trend without more money?

You might get a one off, once in a generation Ramsey who loves the club, but look at Southampton who have been up there pretty much every season and they've developed their youth setup into something we can all aspire to.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that Premier League money used right can provide youth facilities and better coaches to give young talent a better chance. I appreciate that other clubs tend to nick the best youngsters but how are Welsh clubs going to break that trend without more money?

You might get a one off, once in a generation Ramsey who loves the club, but look at Southampton who have been up there pretty much every season and they've developed their youth setup into something we can all aspire to.
    Agree with the above.

I also think the question is too broad. I think Swansea in the PL has helped welsh football support but NOT development of players.