+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An encouraging display today. A satisfied fan.

An encouraging display today. A satisfied fan.

All of the players worked very hard.
    Our defenders worked well together and were almost error free.
    Our midfield was outstanding. It’s been a long time since we saw so much skill and short passes made in midfield and they did a great job smothering the Newcastle players and winning the ball back when lost. We had more possession than Newcastle. Arter and Camarasa had great debuts and fitted in well with Ralls, who also put in a great performance.
    We showed pace and played some very quick long balls which found their target.
    Murphy had a great game.

The disappointments were that Hoilett seemed a bit sidelined in the first half playing on the right and that he and Mendez Laing both wasted opportunities to put in great crosses, instead blasting them way beyond where they needed to go. The reports are saying that Zohore missed two good chances. The misses didn’t look as bad as that to me during the match but there is no hiding the fact that their keeper only had to make one save.

NW has commented that our dead ball delivery was poor leading to wasted chances from set pieces and some of Etheridge’s distribution was also poor. But his penalty save immense.

Overall, I thought it a really encouraging performance and a big step forward.

And big spending Fulham, Wolves and West Ham all lost.

Re: An encouraging display today. A satisfied fan.

Eilidh Barbour asked if Pellegrini would more quickly be under pressure because of what happened last year. I think yes and with a tough few games ahead they could well be in the relegation scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Our midfield was outstanding. It’s been a long time since we saw so much skill and short passes made in midfield and they did a great job smothering the Newcastle players and winning the ball back when lost. We had more possession than Newcastle. Arter and Camarasa had great debuts and fitted in well with Ralls, who also put in a great performance.
    Murphy had a great game.

The disappointments were that Hoilett seemed a bit sidelined in the first half playing on the right and that he and Mendez Laing both wasted opportunities to put in great crosses, instead blasting them way beyond where they needed to go. The reports are saying that Zohore missed two good chances. The misses didn’t look as bad as that to me during the match but there is no hiding the fact that their keeper only had to make one save.

NW has commented that our dead ball delivery was poor leading to wasted chances from set pieces and some of Etheridge’s distribution was also poor. But his penalty save immense.

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised by how many of last season's squad looked comfortable at this level. I though Bennett was excellent, Morrison, Etheridge, Bamba, Ralls and Manga looked good too (which was great as I don't like him at right back - where was Peltier, not even on the bench?). Hoilett looked a bit out-of-sorts, hopefully it was an off day. As has been said in other threads, the midfield looked great. Nice balance with the three of them. I noticed the three of them warming up in the centre circle before the game. All classy players with a nice touch. I was particularly impressed by Arter. He was everywhere, as well as constantly cojoling, encouraging and being in the ref's ear. He looks a real leader.

Murphy had a great game.

Couldn't agree more.

We will be not be a pushover for anybody.

Murphy had a great game.

Our midfield were great, but as with last week, we once again looked toothless in front of goal. After two games we haven't scored yet, and that does concern me big time. Goals win games! I like Zahore, but I feel that if he was up to premier league level he would have been taken to the world cup. We shall see though. We really do need to beat Huddersfield next week, who won't be pushovers, as we have a very, very hard September.

I've felt along that it will take some time for the Fulham and Wolves players to bed in and gel. As for West Ham, they have been an accident waiting to happen since they left Upton Park. This season could be the one. Fingers crossed. I spoke to two Newcastle fans after the game in the Prince of Wales, and they feel if Benitez does go this season, they will be in big trouble. Here's hoping Man Ure get rid of Mourinhio and replace him with Rafa

Murphy had a great game.

Positives -

Team looked very well organised, confident. Knew exactly what they were doing

Arter is a significant upgrade for us. Genuine Premier League class

Camarasa - some nice touches. Got caught a few times but think he might be good

Murphy is a very decent player

Zohore - reckon he can cut it at this level

Negatives

Atmosphere was a disappointment.

Manga, for me, just is not up to this standard

It’s pretty obvious we’re gobba struggle for goals

All in all, encouraging signs today. Clearly going to be very hard, nigh-on impossible, for us to survive, but we’ll give it a crack.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Positives -

Team looked very well organised, confident. Knew exactly what they were doing

Arter is a significant upgrade for us. Genuine Premier League class

Camarasa - some nice touches. Got caught a few times but think he might be good

Murphy is a very decent player

Zohore - reckon he can cut it at this level

Negatives

Atmosphere was a disappointment.

Manga, for me, just is not up to this standard

It’s pretty obvious we’re gobba struggle for goals

All in all, encouraging signs today. Clearly going to be very hard, nigh-on impossible, for us to survive, but we’ll give it a crack.
    I thought Manga did alright to be fair. He's a better centre back than he is a full back but he looked comfortable to me.

I thought we did Newcastle all ends up bar up front, our midfield can only improve the more they play together. Still annoying that posters on here still cant get Zohore’s name right, might as well call Bamba Bambi. C’mon lads it’s not hard, ask Risdale or Bothroyd🤪🤪🤪

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I thought we did Newcastle all ends up bar up front, our midfield can only improve the more they play together. Still annoying that posters on here still cant get Zohore’s name right, might as well call Bamba Bambi. C’mon lads it’s not hard, ask Risdale or Bothroyd🤪🤪🤪
    I thought they were better in the first 30 ,quicker of mind etc , after that we were as good or better , we are lacking up front though as we have to bolster midfield,it's not unexpected.

When they came down to us in the Championship they bossed us easily , today they didn't.

What impressed me the most today was the understanding we enjoyed in midfield and the neat passing was sublime, not seen for a long time, well done to the new entrants. Also the way we tackled to win the ball back, especially by Bennett was immense.

Agree with this lot. As for set pieces, why was Murphy taking any. His crossing is his weakness.

Hoillet or Ralls please.

However it would be great to wheel on a Whittingham.

We will need to improve on this aspect as it’s pretty much our best chance of scoring

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Agree with this lot. As for set pieces, why was Murphy taking any. His crossing is his weakness.

Hoillet or Ralls please.

However it would be great to wheel on a Whittingham.

We will need to improve on this aspect as it’s pretty much our best chance of scoring
    Tomlin anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Tomlin anyone?
    Just what we need.

If only we could play with 12 men 😂

Seriously I’d have him on the bench

Would have been good to see Tomlin come on instead of Reid. He maybe could have opened them up.
    Shame he has put himself on the outer.
    Overall really encouraged by that display.
    Looking forward to next week now.

Aw, bless!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Just what we need.

If only we could play with 12 men ��

Seriously I’d have him on the bench
    If we assume that Murphy, Connolly and Kadeem are the 23rd, 24th and 25th members of our squad, I'm convinced Tomlin could give us far more than any of these three. Unless we have good cup runs, I doubt very much that Murphy and Connolly will play much, however I understand the need for trusted, experience cover, so they earn their places. However, I can't see how Kadeem is going to add to our chances. We have three wide players who will get picked ahead of him, plus I'm sure Reid could do a job there. I see Tomlin as unique and I'll take his shortcomings for all that he can bring in a creative sense. As an option off the bench, he could win us more points than Kadeem.

I’m not sure what Tomlin has shown to actually warrant another chance. It’s seems to be based on some vague potential creative edge, rather than anything he’s particularly Shown consistently imo. He had a great chance to make an impact here but didn’t take it. Too late for him now imo. Forest didn’t come back in for him either.

Is he a Newcastle fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I’m not sure what Tomlin has shown to actually warrant another chance. It’s seems to be based on some vague potential creative edge, rather than anything he’s particularly Shown consistently imo. He had a great chance to make an impact here but didn’t take it. Too late for him now imo. Forest didn’t come back in for him either.
    He can pick a pass and is an obvious candidate for set pieces, something we're sorely missing. It's obvious that NW doesn't want him around, but I think he could make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Reading and Norwich games show that he can make an impact, albeit as you say not consistently in the 1st half of the season, before he was packed off on loan to Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I thought we did Newcastle all ends up bar up front, our midfield can only improve the more they play together. Still annoying that posters on here still cant get Zohore’s name right, might as well call Bamba Bambi. C’mon lads it’s not hard, ask Risdale or Bothroyd������
    Sorry Steve, my bad. Next I'll be spelling Dave Karver's name wrong, Fred Davis, Ronnie Burd, Willy Andersun, Arian Alstun, Robert Ermshaw, Peter Thorn, and loads of others too lol

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post
    Reading and Norwich games show that he can make an impact, albeit as you say not consistently in the 1st half of the season, before he was packed off on loan to Forest.
    Fair enough, I don’t have anything against him. Just always felt there was a lot more talk about his apparent qualities than there was evidence of them. I thought our two new midfielders yesterday on the other hand both made a notable impact in their first appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Sorry Steve, my bad. Next I'll be spelling Dave Karver's name wrong, Fred Davis, Ronnie Burd, Willy Andersun, Arian Alstun, Robert Ermshaw, Peter Thorn, and loads of others too lol
    Quite right Mr Sole 68😂😂😂😂😂

When they wen down to 10 men, I felt he should’ve made a double substitution straight away. Reid and either NML or Madine. He waited and waited and we couldn’t get on the ball, the crowd went flat. Seemed to take an age to change it.

Most encouraging thing was the midfield. We bossed it, and Newcastle have good players in there. I’m more confident about our chances of staying up, I think Ken tried hard, I wish he could bloody head the ball, but I think he’s gonna be important again this season, and play better than he did yesterday.