+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A bit premature to write off Ken

A bit premature to write off Ken

I didn't think he was 100% fit yesterday but some of the feedback has already said he isn't good enough.
    I thought he was a handful, held the ball well and was a real outlet for our excellent midfield.
    Give the boy a chance mun!

Re: A bit premature to write off Ken

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    I didn't think he was 100% fit yesterday but some of the feedback has already said he isn't good enough.
    I thought he was a handful, held the ball well and was a real outlet for our excellent midfield.
    Give the boy a chance mun!
    I thought in general play he did well enough and, as you say, he was just coming back off an injury and he also missed some of the pre season. However, while his lack of aerial ability for someone of his size could be tolerated in the Championship, he's got to do better with the decent headed chances which came his way than he did yesterday.

The good news is that he'll be our top goalscorer. The bad news is it will be four goals.

He did a lot better than Reid last week and our shape was much improved. He had a few chances but he needs games to get sharp again. That one header that he missed when unmarked was tough because he thought the two players in front of him would get something on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    He did a lot better than Reid last week and our shape was much improved. He had a few chances but he needs games to get sharp again. That one header that he missed when unmarked was tough because he thought the two players in front of him would get something on it.
    The fact is Zohore's heading has been sub standard since the day he joined us. Heading is not really what he is about and he brings other things to the team which makes me think he can be effective at this level, but we are a side which looks to get plenty of crosses in from open play and, as the most likely person to get on to the end of one of them, he needs to do better, especially in this league, when headed opportunities come his way.

It's way too early to write him off, like I said in a previous post I'm hoping it's just one of those "bad day at the office" scenario

His move to up front wasn't good at all ....... very lethargic didn't seem to run into the spaces when we were going forward, just expected the ball to be played directly to him

Personally I thought he did OK. Caused their centre half’s a lot of problems and won loads of free kicks.

Yes, he missed a few chances, but I thought they were all difficult ones with people jumping in front or the bell just too high.

He doesn’t really get much of a leap which is a worry, but I’d stick with him

He was obviously unfit. Said that to my boy at the time. Give him time and we may just may see the Ken who was attracting 20 million pound bids.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Personally I thought he did OK. Caused their centre half’s a lot of problems and won loads of free kicks.

Yes, he missed a few chances, but I thought they were all difficult ones with people jumping in front or the bell just too high.

THIS.

To be fair to their defenders had their arms all over him whenever to ball was played up to him whether the ball was on the ground or in the air and were rarely punished for it

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The fact is Zohore's heading has been sub standard since the day he joined us. Heading is not really what he is about and he brings other things to the team which makes me think he can be effective at this level, but we are a side which looks to get plenty of crosses in from open play and, as the most likely person to get on to the end of one of them, he needs to do better, especially in this league, when headed opportunities come his way.
    That being the case then Madine would be the better option

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    That being the case then Madine would be the better option

Pains me to say it, but i agree.

Madine probably would have scored yesterday. Wouldn't surprise me to see him start at Huddersfield.

It's a bit of a conundrum really, he is excellent at holding up the ball, but this is only part of a good strikers game. They also have to score goals and Ken seems to have a few dry patches here and there. There was some interest in him after his purple patch last year, but I haven't heard of anything since then.

I’d like to see him playing with Reid from the start. Why can’t he be taught to head the ball?

I dont think it is. Ken is a total waste of space for anything head height or above. He ducks away from high balls. Give me Madine up front every time. Since Madine joined he hasnt been given a run of starts so hasnt had much of a chance to prove himself. No way will Ken be our top scorer this season unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

He had a free header midway through 2nd half. He neither got off the ground or hit the target 🙄

Begs the question if what Warnock said about Zohore that’s he’s hardly trained why he played the full 90 , what must Madine think , I would have started with Madine and brought Ken on later

Had Hoilett not got injured I would have expected Madine to replace Zohore late on.

I thought Ken tired badly after 50 mins. Should have brought Madine on with Reid playing off him.

That header he missed was a shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought in general play he did well enough and, as you say, he was just coming back off an injury and he also missed some of the pre season. However, while his lack of aerial ability for someone of his size could be tolerated in the Championship, he's got to do better with the decent headed chances which came his way than he did yesterday.
    It has to be said that he often doesn't really properly challenge for some high balls.