+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anybody see the programme about Bute on BBC 4 tonight?

Anybody see the programme about Bute on BBC 4 tonight?

Quite interesting account of his life and notable Cardiff buildings he commissioned, growth of the docks and City etc.

On IPlayer here if you missed it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...welsh-fortune#

Re: Anybody see the programme about Bute on BBC 4 tonight?

I thought it was an excellent programme, very informative. Lots of interior shots of Cardiff Castle and Castell Coch. I missed the beginning of the programme did they mention 19/20 Park Place which is now the Park House restaurant, the other important William Burges building in Cardiff ?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I thought it was an excellent programme, very informative. Lots of interior shots of Cardiff Castle and Castell Coch. I missed the beginning of the programme did they mention 19/20 Park Place which is now the Park House restaurant, the other important William Burges building in Cardiff ?
    That was built for one of his chief architects of one of the docks, as a family home.

Scottish guy - can't remember his name. I'll look it up when I get back from hols.

Cheers for the heads up about the programme too. That'll be right up my street.

No, I don’t think they did.

Clearly they were a privileged, aristocratic family and not universally popular. But they left a huge legacy in the area and Cardiff would be a very different place without them. Their Mount Stuart Estate in Scotland is absolutely stunning too.

Didn't **** Abrahams buy that building at one time, or am I wildly mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Didn't **** Abrahams buy that building at one time, or am I wildly mistaken?
    I don’t know. Is he a lover of Gothic Revival Architecture ?

We had a family meal there a few weeks ago. It's stunning building.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    We had a family meal there a few weeks ago. It's stunning building.
    Yes, it is. Prior to 1974 I remember it being the main office of Cardiff Rural District Council. It then passed to the City Council who eventually sold it.

I don’t know. Is he a lover of Gothic Revival Architecture ?
    I don't know. Is it a requirement that he would need to be a lover of Gothic architecture in order to purchase the building?

I don't know. Is it a requirement that he would need to be a lover of Gothic architecture in order to purchase the building?
    I don't know. If it was him who purchased it then I was just trying to figure out his motivation.

For some it is

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...e-led-zeppelin

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Yes indeed, Jimmy Page’s name was in the credits at the end of the programme

I don't know. If it was him who purchased it then I was just trying to figure out his motivation.
    A business venture I believe, wanted to turn it into some kind of gentlemen's club. Anyway, as I said in my first post, I'm uncertain if I have got my wires crossed on this.

A business venture I believe, wanted to turn it into some kind of gentlemen's club. Anyway, as I said in my first post, I'm uncertain if I have got my wires crossed on this.
    Well, I was being ironic. However, I think the building has passed through a number of pairs of hands since it was sold by the Council so you could well be right

missed the start but thought it was really good.

Kids enjoyed as well - which is was surprising as it was a reality tv show with half naked chicks.