Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
The FOBTs I cant even begin to explain to you Mike. If you are a compulsive gambler, which I am, you keep throwing money in them thinking its got to start paying out at some point, but even though you know it isnt going to, you just cant stop. If I had put £600 in the machine for example, then got £400 back so I was only losing £200 instead of just taking a £200 hit I would think "Ive got to get all my money back" then end up losing that £600 and more. Id lose a grand on them more times than I want to remember.

I remember one time I went down the shop on my lunch hour, started losing, rang my boss to say I had a personal issue, and couldnt come back to work and stayed in there all afternoon. I put £2k in and eventually it started to pay back and I got £1800 back. I hit the £500 jackpot 3 times in a row and had these chinese guys jumping all over me thinking it was all winnings and really I was still £200 down.

The really big losses ive had have been on live roullette online where as you say you can win big quickly, but lose big very quickly also. I was doing £500-£1000 spins at one point. Crazy. Both times mentioned where I lost £6.5k and £5k I was actually winning but as a gambler its never enough and so eventually they got their money back, and all of mine too.

Ive had one or two lapses since I finally decided to jack in the roullette but nothing major, lose £200, win £300, lose £50.etc and probably won more than I lost, but winning is actually worse because it makes you feel like playing them again.

I never went to gamblers anonymous or counselling, spoke to family obviously, my old man baled me out a couple of times. I just try and keep telling myself theres no point looking back at what youve lost, just enjoy the future. Im fortunate enough that my gambling debt, which im still paying off, is manageable, and ive still got plenty of disposable income to enjoy a nice life.

I hope if theres anyonelse reading this who is going through a gambling addiction, that they seek help, or tell someone about their problem. Its one that is easier to hide than drink or drugs but it affects you mentally.

It actually helps putting my experience down in writing like this as always found it difficult to talk to someone about it. I was in denial for too long because I didnt want to accept I had a serious problem, and that cost me thousands more by not addressing it earlier.
Great post .
My maxim now is - what will i do if i win?
And the answer is always give it all back.