+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stoke

Stoke

Rowett off to a flyer .....currently 2 down at home to Wigan and 23rd in Championship !!

Re: Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    0-3
    Happy days

Unfortunately Reading have conceded 2 penalties and are now drawing moving back to 23rd.....Pearcey won’t be happy !

It cracks me up how pundits just assume Stoke will win the league easily, the championship is a very different beast. Be interesting to watch this year...

It just makes you realise what an amazing job Warnock did last year!

Couldn't happen to a nicer club.

Listening to the report it sounds like Joe Allen and Ashley Williams had really poor games.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Listening to the report it sounds like Joe Allen and Ashley Williams had really poor games.
    Think Williams got sent off 2nd yellow.
    Wasn't he on the bench last week too?

Watched the game on Sky and Joe Allen was totally anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It cracks me up how pundits just assume Stoke will win the league easily, the championship is a very different beast. Be interesting to watch this year...
    Tbf I thought they bought well, Rowett is toxic though. What the **** happened to him, he looked like he was going to have a top career at brum.

The Championship looks brutal (in a good way) this season.

Going to be great viewing.

We got out whole the going was good. Great timing of a promotion 👍

Two excellent Championship matches shown over the past couple of nights - a bigger shock than Stoke's struggles for me is how well Bolton are doing.

Good enough for them - hope they go down with bristol

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Two excellent Championship matches shown over the past couple of nights - a bigger shock than Stoke's struggles for me is how well Bolton are doing.
    No surprise with 7 ex bluebirds in their squad!!

The Stoke situation is a funny one, with the players they managed to retain and with the players they brought in, the squad looked too good for the league, the early talk of them was of walking the league, and whilst it is easy to get carried away with the press, the players they do have looks decent.

Is it an issue that you have players who in the back of their mind, dont really want to play at this level, or are not maybe up for the fight. Is it the case that with the quality of the squad the opposition are raising their game to play them.

Contrast this to Swansea, who saw their squad decimated, yet are doing the best of the relegated team, is the best way to cope when relegated is to totally dismantle your squad and start again with a galvanised bunch who will work together.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    The Stoke situation is a funny one, with the players they managed to retain and with the players they brought in, the squad looked too good for the league, the early talk of them was of walking the league, and whilst it is easy to get carried away with the press, the players they do have looks decent.

Is it an issue that you have players who in the back of their mind, dont really want to play at this level, or are not maybe up for the fight. Is it the case that with the quality of the squad the opposition are raising their game to play them.

Contrast this to Swansea, who saw their squad decimated, yet are doing the best of the relegated team, is the best way to cope when relegated is to totally dismantle your squad and start again with a galvanised bunch who will work together.
    There seems to be no solid tactic really, Newcastle both times have kept a similar squad and walked the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    There seems to be no solid tactic really, Newcastle both times have kept a similar squad and walked the league.
    Yes i was thinking of Newcastle as i was writing that thread, but recently we have seen teams like Villa, and now Stoke trying that tactic, but it hits you if it doesnt work immediately and the parachute payments reduce.

Not for me full of quality ex Bloobirds, Madine cheering them on ,can't go wrong .

I did feel they wernt as bad as some I saw last year, who were higher or alledgly better than them .

Bolton were the worst Championship side I saw down here last season.

Bolton were the worst Championship side I saw down here last season.
    Didn't have Josh Magennis last season.. .

I don't think the Swansea situation is part of a well thought out plan to be honest. They've sold everyone they can for what they can and haven't reinvested.
    It's early days but Potter is proving to be the real deal.
    It was a cracking game of football vs Leeds the other night and they probably deserved to win.
    I think if they had someone like Clement in charge this year they'd be tumbling through the leagues.

I agree with Bob and Mike, the quality of the matches I have watched in the championship this season has been off the scale.

I'd love to see the disparity between the rewards of the premier league and the football league tighten and I think that would be good for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I don't think the Swansea situation is part of a well thought out plan to be honest. They've sold everyone they can for what they can and haven't reinvested.
    It's early days but Potter is proving to be the real deal.
    It was a cracking game of football vs Leeds the other night and they probably deserved to win.
    I think if they had someone like Clement in charge this year they'd be tumbling through the leagues.

I agree with Bob and Mike, the quality of the matches I have watched in the championship this season has been off the scale.

I'd love to see the disparity between the rewards of the premier league and the football league tighten and I think that would be good for everyone.
    I agree the Swansea situation wasnt part of a plan, but the result is to create a camaraderie between the remaining players, whereas at Stoke you may have a bunch of players playing for the wage, but really not wanting to play in the Championship.

I agree the Swansea situation wasnt part of a plan, but the result is to create a camaraderie between the remaining players, whereas at Stoke you may have a bunch of players playing for the wage, but really not wanting to play in the Championship.
    Swansea is a complete mess and Potter is working wonders despite being handcuffed. If their owners had their way, they'd sell everyone not nailed down for a half decent fee. They've currently got one senior centre half. They'll probably stay up but I can't see them challenging, like Leeds they won't have the squad to sustain it.