+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Greatest selling album in America ever, why?

Greatest selling album in America ever, why?

I used to quite like the Eagles back in the early to mid 70s when, unfortunately, glam rock and prog rock ruled, but why are they so popular now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45274174

Re: Greatest selling album in America ever, why?

Strange, a few good songs but they are hardly the Beatles, stones, zep etc

Garth Brooks and Hootie & The Blowfish are in the top 10 aswell.
    I've never heard of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I used to quite like the Eagles back in the early to mid 70s when, unfortunately, glam rock and prog rock ruled, but why are they so popular now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45274174
    Sorry but The Eagles were never glam rock or prog rock. Hotel California is one of the best albums ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Sorry but The Eagles were never glam rock or prog rock. Hotel California is one of the best albums ever.
    Bob isn't saying they were.

Bit surprised that The Wall is in the top ten, but no sign of Dark Side of the Moon - which surely outsold The Wall?

The Eagles? Yawn.

Easy listening and perhaps good for radio in the USA?

That was the reason I quite liked them - for someone with my music taste the years 1970 to 1975 weren't a great time.

That was the reason I quite liked them - for someone with my music taste the years 1970 to 1975 weren't a great time.
    They were different to the normal “popular” trend and made some great albums between 72 and 79. When they got back together in the 90’s Hell Freezes Over was basically a return to the 70’s apart from a couple of tracks, Long Road Out Of Eden (ref to the Iraq war) wasn’t a bad album in the noughties.

They’re still massive in North America and still sell out stadia even after the death of Glenn Frey. I’m not at all surprised by them being in those positions and other than Hootie and the Blowfish (who had mild success in the UK) none of the top 10 really surprise me. It was an era where airplay on the radio made a band and subsequently made for fewer bands being successful compared to what we experience today

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Great band, but not sure of any worthiness in that stature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoW3bqnr7tw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aVHLL5egRY

Great band for people like me of a certain age. In record shops (remember those) they were classified as a country rock band.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Bit surprised that The Wall is in the top ten, but no sign of Dark Side of the Moon - which surely outsold The Wall?
    The Wall was led by Waters' ego.

And then came "his" Final Cut."

For me they were best when doing Atom Heart Mother (in particular), Meddle, Obscured before they got sucked into Waters' ego bubble with Animals and The Wall (which I enjoyed but never as much as the earliers).

As for the Eagles, I have just listened earlier this week to their first 4 albums again which I rate as fabulous in that genre.

Same goes for Steely Dan, how they progressed to jazz and yacht music as now defined.

Led Zep is another whom created some seriously masterful music in their field. Genesis likewise pre and post Gabriel (well at least for their fits 2 without him).

Each to their own but I do feel the 70's heavy hitters albums have lasted so much better than stuff I was converted to from 77 ie Ramones, Clash, Jam, Damned, Stranglers.

I always came back to the 70's for music. How did they allow so much drivel in the 80's and onwards?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I beg you to listen to the hotties and blow fish first album ,classic rock roll blues,up there with Counting Crows ,there is some great America music out there if you like this genre

I dont think Greatest Hits albums should be allowed to count ,I note they are at nos 3 as well ,they were good .

It's not surprising since country rock was huge in the early to late 70's. The Eagles also had immaculate five-part harmonies in their repertoire, so it was a winning formula.

This was more to my liking though ..

This thread could easily slip into naming your fav bands and we wouldn't want that. OMD, Oasis and the Killers.

The Last Resort on Hotel California is an amazing track relating to the European conquest of America. Brilliant.

Surprised Bat Out Of Hell isn't in the top ten.

I would rather slam my nadgers in the fridge door for half hour than listen to anything by the Eagles or anyone else from the West Coast, other than the Beach Boys.

The Eagles ripped Jethro Tulls song we used to know and called it Hotel California

Life in the fast lane is a hell of a tune fair play

The Last Resort on Hotel California is an amazing track relating to the European conquest of America. Brilliant.
    Agreed, it's the bollux.
    "You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye".