+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zohore

Zohore

Must be said the way some of the fans today got on Zohore's back today was embarrassing. Imagine being a grown human being with a functioning brain and thinking his performance today was solely because 'he couldn't be arsed' or that he isn't good enough. What exactly do people expect when he's up as the lone striker ? With next to no service as a striker he's unlikely to produce much, or the people expecting him to chase down absolutely every single ball ? Do people want him gassed after 20 minutes, wasting energy on balls that are 35 yards away ? Ludicrous.

Re: Zohore

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Must be said the way some of the fans today got on Zohore's back today was embarrassing. Imagine being a grown human being with a functioning brain and thinking his performance today was solely because 'he couldn't be arsed' or that he isn't good enough. What exactly do people expect when he's up as the lone striker ? With next to no service as a striker he's unlikely to produce much, or the people expecting him to chase down absolutely every single ball ? Do people want him gassed after 20 minutes, wasting energy on balls that are 35 yards away ? Ludicrous.
    As I've just typed in my blog piece on the game, we could have Harry Kane playing in the lone striker role for us and he wouldn't score many because for 90 per cent of the time he would never have a team mate within twenty or thirty yards of him.

Exactly .
    We have some right tools 'supporting' us.
    They expect Zahore to play on his own up front, close down, and get a hat trick while he's at it !

Oh, and apparently we were "better when Ward came on". Nothing to do with them being down to 10 men

Shame he was already off when huddersfield went down to 10 men. We started passing it round then and it would have suited his game more.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As I've just typed in my blog piece on the game, we could have Harry Kane playing in the lone striker role for us and he wouldn't score many because for 90 per cent of the time he would never have a team mate within twenty or thirty yards of him.
    Fair play some of our fans have no empathy for the player nor the game. Utterly embarrassing what they expect of them, particularly Zohore who is very, very quickly going to become a scape goat I fear.

Thought that he was excellent in all aspects except inside the 18 yard box. Worked his bollocks off, held the ball up well, no City players within 20-30 yards of him, defended from the front & tracked back.

Just got back so haven't seen other comments but he certainly had a better game than Bamba, Manga, Murphy, Reid or the abysmal Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Thought that he was excellent in all aspects except inside the 18 yard box. Worked his bollocks off, held the ball up well, no City players within 20-30 yards of him, defended from the front & tracked back.

Just got back so haven't seen other comments but he certainly had a better game than Bamba, Manga, Murphy, Reid or the abysmal Patterson
    Agreed about Patterson. I don't see what he brings to us at this level. In the Championship he was good at finding space up top, but now no longer has that freedom. He's not particularly creative. When Mendez-Laing went off I hoped Bobby Reid would get a go.

Just felt sorry for him. Time and time again we just played aimless long balls that he had to try to do something with and then with no support. He also looks like a player that’s my missed a large chunk of pre season and is playing catch up.

I’ve said in another thread previously that Manga is better than Bamba on the ball. I retract that statement. Any footballing ability seems to have been drummed out of Bruno and he now just looks to lump it every time.

He will never be a right back. He lacks confidence when he gets forward with the ball and whilst better defensively today, he still gets caught for pace. Neil’s still trying to squeeze 3 centre backs into the team and it doesn’t work. You need more ability on the ball in the premier league and that has been highlighted even more when the 2 sides have been down to 10 men and the full back becomes the extra man when the balls moved from side to side.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    When Mendez-Laing went off I hoped Bobby Reid would get a go.
    You, me & 2000 other City fans. Negative substitution by NW

It didn’t surprise me though, particularly with the way we started on the back foot.

Really don't know what he was thinking putting Patterson on, he had a knack for being in the right positions last season, this is a different beast and his lack of ability was on full display today, against a team may which I say, didn't actually offer that much in the final third, just alot of passing and crossing. Granted Reid wasn't great when he came on, but he does have the blatant desire to get the ball down and go at players, which we desperately need, and in the long run would help Ken.

It was. If you set the team to play with a flying winger, why on earth replace him with anything but?

Really don't know what he was thinking putting Patterson on, he had a knack for being in the right positions last season, this is a different beast and his lack of ability was on full display today, against a team may which I say, didn't actually offer that much in the final third, just alot of passing and crossing. Granted Reid wasn't great when he came on, but he does have the blatant desire to get the ball down and go at players, which we desperately need, and in the long run would help Ken.
    Agreed. I think Patterson will disappear this season.

Although our trajectory is quite different to when the red regime got promoted there are similarities regarding the lack of goalscoring opportunities - and it's difficult to see things going a different way.

There's another debate to be had about Zohore, and that's the kind of player he is. We don't really do that much on here, we just make presumptions based on what we think a player needs in order to improve and expect that to be enough, unfortunately, football isn't an exact science, and neither are footballers. The general consensus seems to be that Zohore needs more support, that way, he'll contribute more and get more opportunities, leading to more goals. That would help, but i'll ask this question-Since Zohore has established himself in the team, when has he ever linked up with one individual or looked like he has that type of thinking where he relies on players getting closer to him? i'd say he hasn't, and i'd also say that the evidence is shown by the type of goal he generally scores. I can't really pin what kind of player Ken is. He's not an out and out striker, neither a number 10. I wouldn't say that his movement is great, or his timing, and he's not very mobile. His heading is poor, he just doesn't look natural when he jumps for a ball.

His attributes are his strength on the ball, his ability to buy fouls by backing in, he holds the ball up well, has a good touch and can weight a pass, he's also very good on the half turn, a very strong runner with the ball and his size makes it very difficult for defenders if he gets into a position where he can turn them. What he isn't, is a box striker or the kind of player who wants the ball played up to his head. I'd like to see a someone play beyond Zohore, I think that he would be more affective if he played a little deeper, where there is more chance for him to have the ball played into his feet and more options to lay the ball off and create attacking options, I just can't see him forging an on field partnership with anyone, he just doesn't play that way, he's not an urgent player, he slows the game down, he's quite unique in style. Giving him more support would obviously be beneficial, but not necessarily the answer. getting him more involved and closer to the midfield play would benefit his game in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There's another debate to be had about Zohore, and that's the kind of player he is. We don't really do that much on here, we just make presumptions based on what we think a player needs in order to improve and expect that to be enough, unfortunately, football isn't an exact science, and neither are footballers. The general consensus seems to be that Zohore needs more support, that way, he'll contribute more and get more opportunities, leading to more goals. That would help, but i'll ask this question-Since Zohore has established himself in the team, when has he ever linked up with one individual or looked like he has that type of thinking where he relies on players getting closer to him? i'd say he hasn't, and i'd also say that the evidence is shown by the type of goal he generally scores. I can't really pin what kind of player Ken is. He's not an out and out striker, neither a number 10. I wouldn't say that his movement is great, or his timing, and he's not very mobile. His heading is poor, he just doesn't look natural when he jumps for a ball.

His attributes are his strength on the ball, his ability to buy fouls by backing in, he holds the ball up well, has a good touch and can weight a pass, he's also very good on the half turn, a very strong runner with the ball and his size makes it very difficult for defenders if he gets into a position where he can turn them. What he isn't, is a box striker or the kind of player who wants the ball played up to his head. I'd like to see a someone play beyond Zohore, I think that he would be more affective if he played a little deeper, where there is more chance for him to have the ball played into his feet and more options to lay the ball off and create attacking options, I just can't see him forging an on field partnership with anyone, he just doesn't play that way, he's not an urgent player, he slows the game down, he's quite unique in style. Giving him more support would obviously be beneficial, but not necessarily the answer. getting him more involved and closer to the midfield play would benefit his game in my opinion.
    Agree, but that's not what Neil wants unfortunately, so the midfield, and the full backs to an extent have to be more efficient in their supply of the ball. Etheridge can also share some of the blame for being far to slow to distribute it and set up a counter attack where Ken could run in behind. However, given how weak we are going forward and the glaring need for 3 CM's and 2 wingers, especially as the wingers are so vital to the support of the full backs, I fail to see where we can fit another player in to allow Ken to drop back.

Agree, but that's not what Neil wants unfortunately, so the midfield, and the full backs to an extent have to be more efficient in their supply of the ball. Etheridge can also share some of the blame for being far to slow to distribute it and set up a counter attack where Ken could run in behind. However, given how weak we are going forward and the glaring need for 3 CM's and 2 wingers, especially as the wingers are so vital to the support of the full backs, I fail to see where we can fit another player in to allow Ken to drop back.
    Yup, it is a problem, seems like we're setting up not to lose, and maybe get a goal on the counter-set piece. I do feel for Ken, it's a thankless task, I just don't see him as an orthodox striker, therefore, I don't think that he should play there exclusively. We all know his strengths, although it seems that Warnock isn't playing to those strengths anymore, infact I don't think he has for the best part of a year.

Getting on Zohore's back is pathetic. The definition of people who know zero about football. He's a big lad asked to chase down on his own ****ing pointlessly in their half, often a 1 (or 2 with arter) man press which is easy enough for the keeper to pass it out to a RB or lb and it's a massive sprint for **** all reason.

That's before we get on to the lack of opportunities he has with the ball at his feet. Our fans are clueless at times. Singing Danny Ward's name in the first half, comical. Why Danny Ward didn't hit that chance earlier is beyond me, if that was Zohore he'd be getting so much stick.

Warnock needs to find a way to get bobby Reid into the team. He is the one person who looks between the lines for it. Zohore would thrive off that.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Getting on Zohore's back is pathetic. The definition of people who know zero about football. He's a big lad asked to chase down on his own ****ing pointlessly in their half, often a 1 (or 2 with arter) man press which is easy enough for the keeper to pass it out to a RB or lb and it's a massive sprint for **** all reason.

That's before we get on to the lack of opportunities he has with the ball at his feet. Our fans are clueless at times. Singing Danny Ward's name in the first half, comical. Why Danny Ward didn't hit that chance earlier is beyond me, if that was Zohore he'd be getting so much stick.

Warnock needs to find a way to get bobby Reid into the team. He is the one person who looks between the lines for it. Zohore would thrive off that.
    I think that you're saying that we should become more creative? if so, I agree.

If we look back at last year:

West Bromwich - relegated because fans turned on manager and players that could have kept them up. Rightly or wrongly this should have been left til the summer.

Stoke - relegated because of a really poor summer transfer window where Diouf ended up being their best striker and starting full-back, Peter Crouch was best goal threat.

Swansea - relegated because they undermined their strong foundations over the course of several seasons and it caught up with them.

I don't think Swansea can apply to us, and while I can take the Stoke reason (we all know we needed an extra striker) I cannot stand to go down for turning on players or club a la West Bromwich. That is West Ham's fate. It's going to be a struggle this year but 10x harder if players don't play with positive and supportive backing on match-day.

Still the only promoted side to keep a clean sheet, not the first promoted side to fail to win in back to back games against 10 men, and not in the relegation spots 3 games in.

I'm not going to waste much time talking about these people but if we are going to stay up it might need more positivity and support from our fans. We can't change the players we have and I don't believe anybody on the bench was better than our starting 11 yesterday. After what these players have done over the last 18 months they have all won a place in my heart and I will support them until the manager decides we have better options.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that you're saying that we should become more creative? if so, I agree.
    Yeah, I was on a rant last night after a long drive as I was annoyed at the game by how negative some fans were. God help up when we get beat 5-0 at Man City like 75% of teams do.

I think Warnock has to sacrifice one of the midfield 3 for Bobby Reid in games like yesterday.

The way Warnock wants us to play I think we would be better starting with madine then bring a fresh zohore on

People say bring Madine in while not recognising that in both of our away games, Warnock has turned to Danny Ward before him when bringing a striker off the bench. I disagree with Tuerto to the extent that it's hard to know how Zohore would do with number ten type player behind him (Reid would be my choice) because it's so long since we played in that way. Increasingly, whoever plays up front has become more isolated from the rest of the team and, given how the fixture list shapes up over the next two months, it's hard to see that situation changing any time soon. Yesterday, Sean Morrison missed the easiest chance we've had this season and if we aren't scoring from set pieces, then it's hard to see where a goal is going to come from against the likes of Chelsea and Man City - I'm just hoping a combination of Arsenal's woeful away form and their ricketty defence will enable us to break our scoring duck, and, hopefully, pick up a point or three a week today.

WE are very quick to get on the back of strikers.Its is very frustrating on times when you are willing them to score but lets try and get behind all of them because the task this season is going to be hard enough without our own fans jeering at them.
    Ken has only played two games this season give the boy a chance.