+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The bedding-in time in the EPL

The bedding-in time in the EPL

It's obvious that there has to be a period when promoted teams have to acclimatize to the nuances of the Premier League - the pace, the skill, the refs etc. And I feel this has to be taken into account when looking at how City have settled down - especially as we have only a handful of players with EPL experience.

The new boys are extremely fit and work incredibly hard and clearly are at a different level compared with last season. But, in defence, I've seen not exactly panic on occasion, but certainly nervousness and the attacking performances could also be tempered by a lack of confidence at this level.

Hopefully, we will adapt quickly to the EPL experience.

If this is true, then the team and its individuals need to be cut some slack. Take Paterson, for example. After an injury-hit early season in 2017, he forced his way into the team, played in a completely new position and scored some vital goals. His dribbling and distribution noticeably improved as the season wore on. Now, he appears to be on the periphery of the team after the new midfield signings, but I'm looking for signs that he (and other players like Zohore) can continue his evolution to be a 'Premier League' player.

Several other teams have made this transition after shaky starts to EPL life - in fact, all three promoted sides managed this in the 2017/18 season. Can City emulate them?

Re: The bedding-in time in the EPL

Callum Patterson will make it at this level. He is strong and knows what to do near the goal. My money is on him to score first for us if he gets the game time.
    Totally agree with that post.