+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Twelve BIG games

The Twelve BIG games

I feel it is time to assess how many points would be a good return from the 12 big games.
    Man U Man C Liver Arse Totts and Chelski.

I think 10 would be a great return. That's three wins and a draw.
    We should beat some of them at home.

Is 10 points a good return?

Re: The Twelve BIG games

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    I feel it is time to assess how many points would be a good return from the 12 big games.

Yes I would have said so.
    I think we got 4 from the equivalent fixtures the last time round

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yes I would have said so.
    I think we got 4 from the equivalent fixtures the last time round
    Just the Man City win and Manure draw last time.
    If we get anywhere near 10 this time I'd be amazed.

10 points is very optimistic! Taking any points against the top 6 even at home would be a bonus. If we can squeeze 3/4 points that would be a result.

It would be interesting to see how many points relegated teams have got off the top 6 in years gone by. Not going to be me working it out, though. Last season Swansea got 7, Stoke got 5 and West Brom got 9, meaning the relegated teams all avoided defeat in at least 3 games to the top 6. We avoided defeat to the top 6 twice when we were relegated (in our first two home games). We also drew with Man Utd at home and came within seconds of a point against Spurs at home, when Ben Turner's goal was disallowed.

It depends when you play them.

Didn't west brom go on a run when they were relegated?

10?! . That would require us to score a goal ;-)

I reckon that 5 or 6 is more realistic.

CardiffCitySince1927

Personally, I reckon 4/5 would be good.

I have a good feeling about dodgy Arsenal and think we can pick up a win or two against the top 6 at home. I also reckon we’ll hold a big club or two at their ground to a 0-0.

Argh.

This annoyed me last time. These are not big games. They are games against teams playing in another division. They are a distraction from the real job.

Huddersfield, palace, Brighton, Southampton etc. They are big games. They play in our division. If we get points there, we also deprive a divisional rival of points. They are the games that matter.

The games against non-divisional rivals are important but not as important as games against the teams in your division. Win those and you win your division, which in our case means survival.

Beating Man City last time was not as good as losing to, say, Hull was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Argh.

This annoyed me last time. These are not big games. They are games against teams playing in another division. They are a distraction from the real job.

Huddersfield, palace, Brighton, Southampton etc. They are big games. They play in our division. If we get points there, we also deprive a divisional rival of points. They are the games that matter.

The games against non-divisional rivals are important but not as important as games against the teams in your division. Win those and you win your division, which in our case means survival.

Beating Man City last time was not as good as losing to, say, Hull was bad.
    You really are missing the point here.

These 12 are the big games. Our players and the whole club know that.
    These are the games where we will get media attention. Not be relegated to 4 minutes at the end of MOTD.

Our players will be far more UP for the game on Sunday. Hence the garbage on show tonight. Beat Arsenal and the media will be watching us closely at Chelski and eventually when we play one of the other 13 fillers.

You really are missing the point here.

These 12 are the big games. Our players and the whole club know that.
    These are the games where we will get media attention. Not be relegated to 4 minutes at the end of MOTD.

Our players will be far more UP for the game on Sunday. Hence the garbage on show tonight. Beat Arsenal and the media will be watching us closely at Chelski and eventually when we play one of the other 13 fillers.
    I really am not.

Media attention is not the purpose. Impressing people by being plucky against the big boys is not the purpose. Running before we can walk is not the purpose.

I thought after our education last time we had learned this. Man City? Liverpool? Look at the shiny shiny? Forget it.

Win the games against our competition is what matters.

3 points max.