+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paterson

Paterson

Worth a go at right back? He might at least offer more going forward than Manga and it is his original position

He was brought on for NML to replicate what he did at Forest last season (where it worked) but it just didn't work on Saturday, he was poor & looked lost

Re: Paterson

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Worth a go at right back? He might at least offer more going forward than Manga and it is his original position

He was brought on for NML to replicate what he did at Forest last season (where it worked) but it just didn't work on Saturday, he was poor & looked lost
    Are you serious? He got ran ragged by Kongolo, and he's a left back. He can't defend. I love Paterson but I don't see him having a major part to play this season.

Our defence isnt an issue at the minute. Build from the back; as we are.

We will win very few games this season. We won't win a single one that Paterson starts. Cracking championship player but i'm pretty sure everyone was aware he lacks technical ability, and that is one thing you need in the prem. No way does he start a single game for me this season. Harsh, but true in my opinion. I'd drop Etheridge for Smithies personally but I think that level of controversy might cause some people's brain cogs to brake down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Are you serious? He got ran ragged by Kongolo, and he's a left back. He can't defend. I love Paterson but I don't see him having a major part to play this season.
    Just a suggestion, calm down. I wouldn't do it but Manga clearly isn't a right back

Just a suggestion, calm down. I wouldn't do it but Manga clearly isn't a right back
    Manga is the least of our issues. We haven't conceded a goal in the two matches he played there.

Worth a go at right back?
    Right back in the changing room?

Umm! Paterson is right back originally not a left one, but he is certainly not a wide/ winger midfielder, he is a number 10 as his goals last season showed! and Manga has done really well this season playing at right back, and who the hell said he does not get forward!

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Umm! Paterson is right back originally not a left one, but he is certainly not a wide/ winger midfielder, he is a number 10 as his goals last season showed! and Manga has done really well this season playing at right back, and who the hell said he does not get forward!
    Quite right. In the Premier League there's much more onus on full backs to support in attack and be comfortable with the ball. Peltier is possibly a better defender, but he offers nothing further up the field. That's fine in the Championship, but not the top flight.

I like Paterson and think he should be used in midfield as is more of an attacking option than the others(I would currently stick with what we have )

However the defence is doing OK so would stick with them. It probably is conserative approach but it's not panic time just yet. We should probably be on a couple more points as games go.

I would only play him if we're chasing a goal and just lumping it upfield

A number ten with no touch, no composure, cant dribble, can’t pick a pass. He’s just good in the air, and last season had a knack for being in the right place at the right time to score goals. I’d throw him up front late on when we need a goal and pump balls in the box, otherwise he shouldn’t be playing.

What matches have you been watching, he is very good in the air

What matches have you been watching, he is very good in the air
    I said he’s good in the air

And what number tens are known for being good in the air?

I missed that bit

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    A number ten with no touch, no composure, cant dribble, can’t pick a pass. He’s just good in the air, and last season had a knack for being in the right place at the right time to score goals. I’d throw him up front late on when we need a goal and pump balls in the box, otherwise he shouldn’t be playing.
    Luckily you are not picking the team. How you can dismiss one of our best players from last season in the way that you have is totally beyond me, especially bearing in mind we are only three games into the season and he has only started one of those and came on as a sub in the other two. No composure or touch - how the hell did he score ten goals last season then ?. He is a international full back or wing back but has hardly ever played there for us. Give him a break.

My thoughts exactly

Just that little thing eh? Possibly something absent in our team so far this season.

There's more competition for places so he may be end-up being a bit-part player, but he brought something different to the team last season and contributed greatly to our success so I think your summary is pretty harsh.

Think we will struggle for goals even if we had Roberto Carlos in his prime bombing forward. As such we are surely better off being solid at the back, so far Manga hasn't caused me much concern in that regard.

Think people have written off Paterson too soon mind, as far as I'm concerned even after our signings, if he was starting every match where he did last season he would probably still be our top scorer just through aerial ability and his late runs into the box.

Am I the only one who thinks he's come back carrying a few pounds. He was great for us last year but looks a different player this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks he's come back carrying a few pounds. He was great for us last year but looks a different player this year.
    Probably his haircut, he never looked like a slim footballer

He’s definitely beefed up this season.

Look, no one even knows his best position. And I’m not judging him on three games. Whenever he got on the ball in their third last season, he often fumbled the ball, couldn’t get it out of his feet. He was good at getting on the end it things, but there’s nothing to get on the end of this season. Warnock has said he can’t defend, and the games are passing him by.

I’m not trying to be harsh for effect, and I’d love to be wrong. But while we are not creating many chances, there are better options, and he would be more effective thrown on as an extra man up front, late in games. Not in the first half, for a wide player. I thought it was a poor change and Reid should’ve come on.

NW would never pick Paterson at RB & at the moment I think he is struggling to keep up with the pace of Premier League football. Can see him mainly being used off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Probably his haircut, he never looked like a slim footballer
    Bizarrely enough I thought exactly the same but told myself not to be so daft - a haircut doesn't make your belly and arse look bigger - does it?

Maybe that's been my problem all these years.

Great - so now I'm going bald I should look about 12 stone by the end of the year.

By the way I agree - Paterson as impact sub for me.