+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paterson

Re: Paterson

He did create the chance that Bobby Reid flicked just wide, what a relief it would have been had that trickled goal side of the post.

There is obviously more than a slight chance that NW was joking when he publicly stated the Patterson couldnt defend. There is no way that an experienced manager like him would have slated any player to the media like that if he meant it. He signed him as a full back and only had to use him in midfield due to an injury crisis last season and after the way he played had to continue with that option.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    There is obviously more than a slight chance that NW was joking when he publicly stated the Patterson couldnt defend. There is no way that an experienced manager like him would have slated any player to the media like that if he meant it. He signed him as a full back and only had to use him in midfield due to an injury crisis last season and after the way he played had to continue with that option.
    Maybe but even now we use a cb at rb. He is undoubtedly better going forward in my opinion.

Think in a better squad he would be a good attacking full back. Decent pace, decent crossing, can see him popping up at the far post to score also.

I don't think at fullback his technical ability would be bad either. I remember his first appearance was at rb as a sub, he came in dribbled at speed and put in a lovely cross.

I don't see us using him there though as we play a system where the full backs are largely asked to defend. F

Heisenberg

Experienced managers do criticise their players... Just look at Mourinho's criticism of Luke Shaw for instance.

I don't think Warnock was joking at all - I think he was being light hearted about finding out the truth about Paterson's defensive abilities. Having played him at right back in a couple of games last season, it must have been obvious to Warnock that Paterson didn't look comfortable playing there at that level. Warnock then said that he knew Paterson would get him goals so it was about finding a position for him.

Just think he was a distinctly average player last year. Also played in v poor leage. Can’t possibly feature in any way if we have any hope.

Quote Originally Posted by The Charterhouse of Parma View Post
    Just think he was a distinctly average player last year. Also played in v poor leage. Can’t possibly feature in any way if we have any hope.
    Hi Jirga

Paterson cannot defend at all. Warnock praised his attacking qualities but there is no way he's a right back. Watch him try and hold someone up, or show them down the line. You can get away with it in the middle of the pitch but he's not agile enough or a competent enough defender to stand a man up or show them down the line. I love Paterson but I don't know where he fits in this season. Perhaps he's a good option if we're getting crosses into the box and need a goal after 70 or so minutes but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.