+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Adrian Chiles On BBC 2 Last Night

Adrian Chiles On BBC 2 Last Night

If you drink alcohol, watch it.

A real sobering doc, from an honest down to earth Adrian Chiles.

A good watch and an eye opener with the main message being you don't have to be an alcoholic to have an alcohol addiction.

Re: Adrian Chiles On BBC 2 Last Night

Twas an interesting watch, have had problems with the booze in the past past but am now in control of it instead of the other way round. Major sympathies with anyone out there who is suffering with addiction. Major will power required to conquer it but take it from me it can be done. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    Twas an interesting watch, have had problems with the booze in the past past but am now in control of it instead of the other way round. Major sympathies with anyone out there who is suffering with addiction. Major will power required to conquer it but take it from me it can be done. Good luck.
    I saw it as well and was enthralled how much his drinking routine mirrored mine.

I actually gave up drink a month ago today and feel so much better for it. If I've really fancied a lager, I've had non-alcoholic which is lovely.

I only really miss a glass of red which I used to really enjoy. The benefits of not drinking far outweigh doing so as far as I'm concerned.

Watched it.

Tonight is the first night I've not drunk at least a bottle of red in god knows how long. No more on a school night for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Watched it.

Tonight is the first night I've not drunk at least a bottle of red in god knows how long. No more on a school night for a while.
    Good on you!

I've been virtually tea total for about six or seven years now (five pints a year at the most) after drinking to levels which, if not in the Chiles class, were still double and more the old weekly limit of twenty one units for nearly forty years. I was gradually dropping my drinking levels down the years to a stage where I was probably drinking less than half of what I did in my twenties and early thirties, but it was still too much and I think it was only me being on Warfarin which led to me stopping - I think I still would have been binge drinking on Saturday nights if it wasn't for that. The only time I miss the booze is at Christmas when i have a wish to go out and get absolutely arse holed - just the once would do and the truth is that, having been all but off the stuff for all of this time, it would probably only take four or five pints for that to happen!

I've cut down my drinking drastically since moving back from London. I used to drink everyday, always drank about 6 or 7 pints a day after work, even when we finished at 2am, we'd have a tame pub that would open up for us near our office. If I was off on a Saturday it would be drinking from around 8am on the way to City games, and finishing around midnight. We even used to go to the "early houses" at Smithfield Market (pubs that opened at 5am to cater for the market workers) after our night shifts.

My blood pressure was through the roof and I was on 5mg a day of blood pressure tablets. Since coming here, my drinking is limited to match days only, with the odd Friday club drink for an hour or two. I think the change of job, the reduction in drinking getting a proper night's sleep (well almost) and eating 3 meals a day has made a huge difference to my health. I'm now down to 1.25mg a day for blood pressure.

Could I gave up drinking? Probably. Do I want to? Not really, I enjoy the social side of it - I've rarely been a home drinker if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I've cut down my drinking drastically since moving back from London. I used to drink everyday, always drank about 6 or 7 pints a day after work, even when we finished at 2am, we'd have a tame pub that would open up for us near our office. If I was off on a Saturday it would be drinking from around 8am on the way to City games, and finishing around midnight. We even used to go to the "early houses" at Smithfield Market (pubs that opened at 5am to cater for the market workers) after our night shifts.

My blood pressure was through the roof and I was on 5mg a day of blood pressure tablets. Since coming here, my drinking is limited to match days only, with the odd Friday club drink for an hour or two. I think the change of job, the reduction in drinking getting a proper night's sleep (well almost) and eating 3 meals a day has made a huge difference to my health. I'm now down to 1.25mg a day for blood pressure.

Could I gave up drinking? Probably. Do I want to? Not really, I enjoy the social side of it - I've rarely been a home drinker if at all.
    Same here, pubs and clubs were a big part of the attraction for me - I barely ever drank at home and, I'm still not sure why, but I never drank before games. Adrian Chiles was pretty certain he wasn't an alcoholic - I knew I wasn't, because I could easily go days without touching alcohol, but I really did enjoy the whole pub thing.