Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
Probably would agree in general. I don't go with 'enjoy the ride' sentiment, and neither do I particularly derive a lot of satisfaction from 'the club is good shape now' viewpoint. A couple of poor seasons on the pitch and that will soon evaporate.

It's irked me from the off that given an opportunity the likes of which I doubt we'll get again for a decade at least - if ever - has been handled in a pragmatic manner. Talk of bouncing back up stronger in the event of relegation was louder than 'let's do whatever we can to stay up'.

City were, and do have a problem that Wolves & Fulham don't, ie they're what you can call footballing sides which can be strengthened without impacting on their style - in other words carry on doing what they do, but better. City's style makes that difficult and they obviously need to adapt - or adopt - a slightly different playing style which would need a considerable change in playing personnel to do this. But whichever way you play you're going to have to score goals, so assuming our manager gets things right and the defence holds out and we create the odd chance, we don't have a Premiership quality striker, even a lower Prem quality, or even a Championship quality striker on our books to put those chances away. We don't even have goalscoring midfielders, and that, I fear is a problem that not even Warnock can solve - at least not until January..
We've got an issue whereas Premier League quality strikers cost significant amounts of money. We'll have to go abroad I think. I'd have loved us to sign a striker but do have sympathies with the club, they've tried but haven't been able to get one within budget. We certainly need to beef up our overseas scouting, as we were linked to Fullkrug for £4.5m, who scored 15 Bundesliga goals last season.

If we look at the Championship top scorers, we've signed Reid, Vydra is on an absolute wedge at Burnley (and he certainly couldn't lead the line), Grabban and Clarke aren't good enough, leaving Waghorn and Assombalonga as the only other strikers in the top 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E...ip#Top_scorers

Warnock, and the team, have basically dragged us up kicking and screaming and while there's never a case of it being "too early", we've not really got a style that transpires to creating chances. I've got a great deal of sympathy for Zohore, as while he's been pretty average, you could have Drogba in his pop up there, and he'd still find it hard being as isolated as he often is.