+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wales Squad Announced

Wales Squad Announced

https://twitter.com/FAWales/status/1034735241339056129

A few notable omissions and some interesting call ups to say the least.

Re: Wales Squad Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    https://twitter.com/FAWales/status/1034735241339056129

A few notable omissions and some interesting call ups to say the least.
    Decent squad that. Not sure how I feel about Paul "yes I will no I won't" Dummett though

Will the nation's league games be counted as competitive games so we can tie down Ampadu and Brooks?

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Will the nation's league games be counted as competitive games so we can tie down Ampadu and Brooks?
    The embarrassing, and hardly that complimentary to UEFA, thing is that I know next to nothing about this Nations League and even less about what happens after the mini groups are over - my understanding is that we can qualify for Euro 2020 if we do well enough against Denmark and the Republic, so presumably they must be competitive internationals?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The embarrassing, and hardly that complimentary to UEFA, thing is that I know next to nothing about this Nations League and even less about what happens after the mini groups are over - my understanding is that we can qualify for Euro 2020 if we do well enough against Denmark and the Republic, so presumably they must be competitive internationals?
    I've read several explanations of it and I still don't understand it

Just read on Twitter that Hal Robson-Kanu has packed up international football - thanks for that goal Hal

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Nope.
    I think they might be, as that is the reason Declan Rice has decided to not be picked for Ireland as it would tie him to them and England are courting him as well.

Heisenberg

A dearth of centre forwards in that list. Why don't we produce them any more? We had Rush, Saunders and Hughes around at the same time, previously. What I'd give for just one of those now!

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post
    I think they might be, as that is the reason Declan Rice has decided to not be picked for Ireland as it would tie him to them and England are courting him as well.
    A piece in The Guardian on Rice suggests you are right but I definitely read earlier in the year this new competition would not tie down players to a country. I hope you are right because we need to nail these youngsters to Wales.

A piece in The Guardian on Rice suggests you are right but I definitely read earlier in the year this new competition would not tie down players to a country. I hope you are right because we need to nail these youngsters to Wales.
    That surely can't be right, how can Uefa expect anyone to take this tournament seriously if it's treated like a friendly competition, despite the fact it does offer a route to the Euros.

Heisenberg

Jesus....

I'm sure I read that they're full internationals. UEFA rules class it as part of the qualifying competition for the next Euros so I don't see how they can be friendlies.

Quote Originally Posted by Swbluebird View Post
    That surely can't be right, how can Uefa expect anyone to take this tournament seriously if it's treated like a friendly competition, despite the fact it does offer a route to the Euros.
    I don't think UEFA expect people to take it deadly serious, it has a few rather glaring flaws as well. For example, if we can't win our group, it is probably better to tank, then we'd have a better chance of winning group C next time, thus getting an easier qualification to the Euros. Someone from D is going to qualify, after all.

Here's an explanation on the Nations League I wrote a couple of weeks back on it, hopefully this well help. I'm no expert in it but I understand it quite well so pop me any questions you may have.

https://behindthegoal16.wordpress.co...gue-explained/

Managed to grab an interview with Giggs this morning, here is everything he had to say at the squad announcement

https://behindthegoal16.wordpress.co...-announcement/

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Here's an explanation on the Nations League I wrote a couple of weeks back on it, hopefully this well help. I'm no expert in it but I understand it quite well so pop me any questions you may have.

https://behindthegoal16.wordpress.co...gue-explained/
    Who's the genius who thought that lot up then .

Thanks for the explanation, but I have another question, if the regular qualification groups are only running from March to November next year, it has to mean either that the groups are smaller than last time or teams are only going to meet each other once doesn't it?

Cameron Coxe and Mark Harris make the Under 21 squad, but the fact we only have two in it, when we tend have four or five in, say, Under 17 and Under 15 squads offers more proof of how we struggle to maintain youngsters development between their late teens and early twenties.

I see that Ashley Baker of Sheffield Wednesday, released by us when Russell Slade was in charge I believe. has made the squad.

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/under-2...-and-portugal/

Thanks for the explanation, but I have another question, if the regular qualification groups are only running from March to November next year, it has to mean either that the groups are smaller than last time or teams are only going to meet each other once doesn't it?

Cameron Coxe and Mark Harris make the Under 21 squad, but the fact we only have two in it, when we tend have four or five in, say, Under 17 and Under 15 squads offers more proof of how we struggle to maintain youngsters development between their late teens and early twenties.

I see that Ashley Baker of Sheffield Wednesday, released by us when Russell Slade was in charge I believe. has made the squad.

No there are 5 groups of 5 and 5 groups of 6, everyone will play each other home and away. There will be two games played in every international break for the group of 6 and one day out of the 9 off for the group of 5 (March, June, September, October, November).

Regarding Ash Baker, he has just broken into the Wednesday team and is apparently a very promising talent. Regan Poole is the other obvious name that was let go.

Surprising to see Matt Smith and Tyler Roberts in the senior squad, but can do them good being around the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I don't think UEFA expect people to take it deadly serious, it has a few rather glaring flaws as well. For example, if we can't win our group, it is probably better to tank, then we'd have a better chance of winning group C next time, thus getting an easier qualification to the Euros. Someone from D is going to qualify, after all.
    Not necessarily as that would result in us dropping down into a lower pot for the Euro qualifiers meaning we'd have a harder draw for those (in theory).

Quote Originally Posted by Swbluebird View Post
    Not necessarily as that would result in us dropping down into a lower pot for the Euro qualifiers meaning we'd have a harder draw for those (in theory).
    In theory, perhaps. You never know with ranking points but realistically in Pot D, you'd play one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E...eague#League_D

Someone in C is definitely going to tank on purpose.

A double header in each international break

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Managed to grab an interview with Giggs this morning, here is everything he had to say at the squad announcement

https://behindthegoal16.wordpress.co...-announcement/
    Did you get his autograph?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Did you get his autograph?
    I was in full professional mode, so no I didn't

However, I was pleasantly surprised that he came up and introduced himself to me and not the other way around.

He spoke well today and has picked a very strong group of Wales players. Loads have missed out and I can't remember that happening in recent times; Lee Evans, Neil Taylor, Tom Bradshaw, Jonny Williams, Gwion Edwards, Jazz Richards, HRK (retired) etc.

The fact that the format is so little understood is testament to it being a dopey one.