+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Cardiff a smaller club than Fulham and wolves ?

Re: Are Cardiff a smaller club than Fulham and wolves ?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You make it sound so easy to pop back up again if we go down.
    This is true. In fact, given the Warnock effect on what might be considered a limited squad, plus his age, I doubt he'd be around to try and take us back up again. Not so confident about being a yo-yo team.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    This is true. In fact, given the Warnock effect on what might be considered a limited squad, plus his age, I doubt he'd be around to try and take us back up again. Not so confident about being a yo-yo team.
    Agreed. That’s why I’ve been so frustrated and vocal on here. Once a club manages to reach the top flight, they’ve surely got to try everything in their means to stay up and try to improve the following season.
    I’m not talking about going gung ho with the purse strings, but at least try to buy a bit of decent talent.

Agreed. That’s why I’ve been so frustrated and vocal on here. Once a club manages to reach the top flight, they’ve surely got to try everything in their means to stay up and try to improve the following season.
    I’m not talking about going gung ho with the purse strings, but at least try to buy a bit of decent talent.
    I remember Vincent Tan talking about Michu a few years ago. He distinctly said something along the lines that clubs don't need to spend lots of money when you can buy a great player for £2million (I think that's what Michu cost). Sadly, Tan is utterly misguided if he thinks he can build a great team with lucky buys, like Michu. Yes, sometimes you can get lucky in the transfer market. Perhaps you'll be even luckier and get a great tip-off. Perhaps your scouting network will unearth some hidden gems (and in fairness, we've done pretty well over the last couple of seasons in terms of who we've brought in or we wouldn't be anywhere near the Premier League).

Tan obviously controls the purse strings, and rightly so, it's his club. If he thinks we can survive on relative bargain buys then we'll need an amazing scouting network and contacts. It could also be that he's being prudent given our debt situation, which he's significantly helped, but there's still a big debt outstanding.

Either way, I'm with you in that if we can survive for a few seasons, the investment will be worth it.

I’m not talking about going gung ho with the purse strings, but at least try to buy a bit of decent talent
    That just makes no sense. Are you seriously suggesting that NW hasn't tried to buy talent for his last chance at proving he can manage a team successfully in the Prem? He'll have sat down with VT and the Board and discussed what is needed in his view within what VT thinks the club can afford in their business model.

If you think we could have spent more then undoubtedly we could have gambled larger sums but even then we'd be nowhere near the spend of Wolves and Fulham and we'd still be struggling with meeting FFP potentially. All the other teams in the league will also have strengthened this summer so they're even more difficult to catch.

If it matters that much to you then put your own money in - I can guarantee you won't see a penny of it back but it might (probably not though) make a few people happy that you'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    That just makes no sense. Are you seriously suggesting that NW hasn't tried to buy talent for his last chance at proving he can manage a team successfully in the Prem? He'll have sat down with VT and the Board and discussed what is needed in his view within what VT thinks the club can afford in their business model.
    This paragraph sums everything up. Warnock probably knows what is needed for us to survive, whether that is accurate is dependant on his own belief on what he can achieve. Tan will have an amount he's prepared to spend. If what Warnock thinks he needs is more than VT thinks we can afford then down we go. Ultimately it's down to Tan. If he thinks we can survive for less than Warnock suggests, then that's his shout as he owns the club.

Once again, conversation seems to centre around us having just the two extremes to work towards - spend along the lines we did in the summer of 2013 (relatively speaking that would probably equate to about £70-80 million these days) and the modest, by Premier League standards, spending we saw this summer. Neil Warnock has said on more than one occasion that our budget is about half of Huddersfield's (we haven't spent as much as they did last summer either) - Huddersfield and Burnley are often held up as two examples we should follow, but, in essence, we aren't because we are trying to survive by spending less than them.
    I've always argued that there is a middle way by which we could have spent something like £10 to £15 million more in transfer fees if wages were controlled in the same way as Burnley appear to have done. There is the possibility of course that we do have this money to spend and we're hanging on until January so spend it, but that is a very risky strategy if you ask me, because the lack of squad depth exposed by Tuesday's game has me considering the prospect that we could be virtually tailed off by then, with the chance that no one of the standard we would require would be willing to come to a club that was, almost certainly, going down.

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    You're spot on. I am really glad that we are being careful with the money as I would much rather be a yo-yo club, a la West Brom in the naughties, and build a solid foundation so that we don't go through the financial meltdown again.

Me too. Miracle we went up last season, throwing 100 million at it won’t guarantee doo doo in the money league either. Let’s build a nice team like I think we have almost, if we go down, we will have a much better chance of promotion than last season surely. In sir Neil we trust

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    You sure of that ?

If I was a business man and owned Wembley I'd sell the prime London ground that Fulham so on ?

If I was a pure footy man I wounld't,as its one of the best old grounds left.

Here's the rub, like every big club they need big stadia and dosh .?

The cottage is a listed building there's no way they'd be allowed to demolish it.

There is no way Fulham are going to move to Wembley, it's for the jaguars NFL team.

That's ignoring the fact it's a different part of London to Fulham and that they're redeveloping the big stand at the cottage.

We are building slowly and investing what we can afford.
    The plan seems to be built on the worst outcome, relegation.
    NW has already stated if we stay up it would eclipse anything else he has ever done x 100.
    What we will have is a strong squad of 16 and be able to invest again if the worst happens , with a financially stable club as well.
    Who can blame Tan for not blowing another 100 million and the fallout which came from OGS signings.
    FFP etc.
    One thing for sure we will have 16 players trying to out do some outstanding teams this year.
    Lets enjoy upsetting some bug guns.
    4th from bottom and 38 points is our target , 2 down 32 to go.
    Last edited by fred keenor; 30-08-18 at 08:49. Reason: Spelling

People always like to point out that our summer signings in the premier league handicapped us because we spent too much but we offloaded the 2 mains ones (Caulker and Medel) for around what we paid for them, the only one that ****ed us up was Cornelius because Malky paid 10x his actual value. We also signed Katherine and Odemwinge both of whom we managed to offload too.

our main problem was letting Solskjaer sign a load of shite and not know what to do with them when trying to get us back up.

That's why I think we should have spent a bit more, if these players are well scouted and are actually decent you shouldn't really lose anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Nice post.

What are ticket prices like these days? I work in Putney a couple of days per week and they used to advertise season tickets at the station and they were peanuts. Obviously you've moved on as a club, but is it still reasonable, or is a small ground and growing demand driving prices up?
    Thanks
    Prices for us season ticket holders who bought early were the similar, if not rise of over £200. Burnley tickets were reasonable £30
    Single tickets are now expensive Arsenal cheapest ticket £60-£75 most expensive, average price is £50 so not cheap, it’s not a working class game anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    This paragraph sums everything up. Warnock probably knows what is needed for us to survive, whether that is accurate is dependant on his own belief on what he can achieve. Tan will have an amount he's prepared to spend. If what Warnock thinks he needs is more than VT thinks we can afford then down we go. Ultimately it's down to Tan. If he thinks we can survive for less than Warnock suggests, then that's his shout as he owns the club.
    I tnink tan and mehmet have a plan B, playing it cautiously

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The cottage is a listed building there's no way they'd be allowed to demolish it.

There is no way Fulham are going to move to Wembley, it's for the jaguars NFL team.

That's ignoring the fact it's a different part of London to Fulham and that they're redeveloping the big stand at the cottage.
    Excellent post, have to buy you a ticket to CC

People always like to point out that our summer signings in the premier league handicapped us because we spent too much but we offloaded the 2 mains ones (Caulker and Medel) for around what we paid for them, the only one that ****ed us up was Cornelius because Malky paid 10x his actual value. We also signed Katherine and Odemwinge both of whom we managed to offload too.

our main problem was letting Solskjaer sign a load of shite and not know what to do with them when trying to get us back up.

That's why I think we should have spent a bit more, if these players are well scouted and are actually decent you shouldn't really lose anything.
    Buy young talent, it’s then a win win, we have bought seri £18m he already looks a cheap buy, if he does well, we sell him and make profit, though I would rather keep him

Quote Originally Posted by Fulham traveller View Post
    Buy young talent, it’s then a win win, we have bought seri £18m he already looks a cheap buy, if he does well, we sell him and make profit, though I would rather keep him
    We tried that with Cornelius

Quote Originally Posted by Fulham traveller View Post
    Excellent post, have to buy you a ticket to CC
    I lived in London for a few years and went to craven cottage quite a few times, one of my favourite grounds to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    We tried that with Cornelius
    He said talent, so that rules Cornelius out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He said talent, so that rules Cornelius out.
    Harsh he did score against forest green rovers and also against ........... erm no one

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Once again, conversation seems to centre around us having just the two extremes to work towards - spend along the lines we did in the summer of 2013 (relatively speaking that would probably equate to about £70-80 million these days) and the modest, by Premier League standards, spending we saw this summer. Neil Warnock has said on more than one occasion that our budget is about half of Huddersfield's (we haven't spent as much as they did last summer either) - Huddersfield and Burnley are often held up as two examples we should follow, but, in essence, we aren't because we are trying to survive by spending less than them.
    I've always argued that there is a middle way by which we could have spent something like £10 to £15 million more in transfer fees if wages were controlled in the same way as Burnley appear to have done. There is the possibility of course that we do have this money to spend and we're hanging on until January so spend it, but that is a very risky strategy if you ask me, because the lack of squad depth exposed by Tuesday's game has me considering the prospect that we could be virtually tailed off by then, with the chance that no one of the standard we would require would be willing to come to a club that was, almost certainly, going down.
    I don’t think that we spent £70-80m the last time around and what we did spend a vast amount of it was recovered when players were moved on. I think that the debt would have been a lot smaller than what people think. Don’t forget that City would have got over 100m on being promoted then.

With regards to this years spend I agree with you that although we spent 24m a more realistic figure would have been 35-45m. We should definitely have brought in a quality striker & come January we may well have left it too late. Many of the available strikers have been snapped up, clubs generally ask for more & we may be way behind our competitors.

Is there a possibility that the club have the finance but because NW such a great job in getting us promoted on a shoestring budget that the club think he can work the same miracles in the Premier League on a shoestring
    Premiership budget? For a comparison, Stoke have spent more than City & Forest the same amount as us! There are probably a few more Championship clubs that have spent similar and they don’t get the 100-120m.

So was Highbury.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    So was Highbury.
    And the listed parts weren’t demolished.

That’s by the by anyway considering they renovating it.

If they were that desperate for land there you think they’d build over that huge park before the stadium.

And the listed parts weren’t demolished.

That’s by the by anyway considering they renovating it.

If they were that desperate for land there you think they’d build over that huge park before the stadium.
    If it ever came to that, they could build with old stand included, let’s not go down that path to depressing

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    I’m in tne believe it when I see it camp, been down this road before