+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Cardiff a smaller club than Fulham and wolves ?

Are Cardiff a smaller club than Fulham and wolves ?

Just heard NW on sky saying they don’t have the money like wolves and Fulham have, my question is why, Cardiff get the same TV money,have equal or bigger capacity than wolves, and more than Fulham, so why can’t or more like won’t spend/ invest on a quality striker? I tnink we will know why as the season pans out

Re: Are Cardiff a smaller club than Fulham and wolves ?

We're putting the TV money in our ISA.

Aren’t the owners of Fulham and wolves a lot more cash rich?

Wolves are definitely a bigger club than both in the historical sense of the word.

I wouldn't say we are bigger or smaller than either. It seems like both of them have have loftier ambitions than we do at the moment, I guess we'll see how it works out.

Yes wolves are, if you are aged 70+ not done anything of note in 40 years, same as forest, I think Cardiff will spend 25m in January

Cardiff have learned from the disruption caused by overspending that can come with relegation and complying with FFP rules. Fulham will have similar issues to those we had in the past if they come straight back down. Wolves on the other hand will be in complete meltdown and could be the next Sunderland.

Yes, no, maybe...........................who cares?

Wolves and Fulham were better placed to spend money, they had a more expensive squad already, so perhaps it was less of a gamble.
    If we had spunked 100m on players we would still have been favourites to go down and we would be in serious shit if we did.
    I won't say that wolves are a bigger side than us. Fulham about the same, but their fanbase is from a very wealthy area, and an area much easier to attract players

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Cardiff have learned from the disruption caused by overspending that can come with relegation and complying with FFP rules. Fulham will have similar issues to those we had in the past if they come straight back down. Wolves on the other hand will be in complete meltdown and could be the next Sunderland.
    Fulham have had similar issues, just like we have;-

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/de...club-statement

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36312192

we appear to have decided not again.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Fulham have had similar issues, just like we have;-

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/de...club-statement

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36312192

we appear to have decided not again.
    Exactly Paul. But it now seems City's discretion and low risk/risk free approach to this season's spending (which many of us understand and agree too) is now being bandied around as 'lack of ambition' according to some city fans and media. 3 league games in and we suddenly have grey clouds and much gloom over the CCS. You couldn't make it up.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Fulham traveller View Post
    Just heard NW on sky saying they don’t have the money like wolves and Fulham have, my question is why, Cardiff get the same TV money,have equal or bigger capacity than wolves, and more than Fulham, so why can’t or more like won’t spend/ invest on a quality striker? I tnink we will know why as the season pans out
    Wolves don't care, and they can get their Mendes players on the cheap, comparatively. They also won't have a problem shifting them if the worst was to happen, again through Mendes. Your owner is considerably richer than Tan, and you've decided to ignore the consequences of overspending which could work.

Also helps that both Fulham and Wolves have more "footballers" than Cardiff, that can make the step up. We've also got a much, much smaller wage bill than both clubs, and to sign a striker would mean smashing that. Getting up by being hard to beat, and team spirit can be successful but I can't see how signing a striker on double the wages (at least) of anyone else would be good for the dynamic in the dressing room.

Comes down to Tan having his fingers burnt last time though, he's not willing to have it done again. Also, there's no guarantees that either Fulham or Wolves will stay up. I think they probably could but spending money doesn't guarantee success.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Fulham have had similar issues, just like we have ......... we appear to have decided not again.
    You're spot on. I am really glad that we are being careful with the money as I would much rather be a yo-yo club, a la West Brom in the naughties, and build a solid foundation so that we don't go through the financial meltdown again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Wolves and Fulham were better placed to spend money, they had a more expensive squad already, so perhaps it was less of a gamble.
    If we had spunked 100m on players we would still have been favourites to go down and we would be in serious shit if we did.
    I won't say that wolves are a bigger side than us. Fulham about the same, but their fanbase is from a very wealthy area, and an area much easier to attract players
    I don’t think any City fans wanted or expected us to spend 100m on transfers & I thought 35-45m would have been realistic to give it a proper go. However we spent 24m. We clearly needed another 15-20m striker but it appears that the club didn’t want to spend the money. I believe that come January we will see another striker but will it be too late by then? We will have to wait and see.

Id say we are bigger than Fulham. Wolves are bigger than us.

Fulham will find it easier to attract players who want a London move.

We will never be a big or fashionable club , with regards to us v Fulham ,their in trouble if they are not bigger , as they are off to Wembley aren't they ?? so they must consider they have the fans to do it ? , imagine us thinking that ?

Wolves are a bigger club with good history .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    We will never be a big or fashionable club , with regards to us v Fulham ,their in trouble if they are not bigger , as they are off to Wembley aren't they ?? so they must consider they have the fans to do it ? , imagine us thinking that ?

There has never been any talk of Fulham moving to Wembley. It’s for NFL

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    The point I was making, we all have the same amount of income, so maybe Cardiff are holding back until January

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    There has never been any talk of Fulham moving to Wembley. It’s for NFL
    You sure of that ?

If I was a business man and owned Wembley I'd sell the prime London ground that Fulham so on ?

If I was a pure footy man I wounld't,as its one of the best old grounds left.

Here's the rub, like every big club they need big stadia and dosh .?

CardiffCitySince1927

Both Fulham and Wolves have richer owners. They are willing to invest more capital into the club.
    Vincent Tan has easily invested 1/10th of his wealth into the football club. I cannot see him investing another £100 Million.

Fulham and Wolves have decided that they wanted to drop £100 Million. I don’t think that they spent it effectively however it should keep them up.

Is there room for another “big”club in London ? Arsenal in 62k stadium, Spurs moving into similar size, Chelsea thinking of building a new stadium, WHU in @55k stadium ....is there that much demand for another ? No disrespect to Fulham but I don’t see how a move to Wembley would benefit them ......maybe the owner but not the football club ! There is no way he is going to try and buy it just for a maximum of 9 NFL games a year so is selling Craven Cottage on prime land next to the river the appeal ?

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Is there room for another “big”club in London ? Arsenal in 62k stadium, Spurs moving into similar size, Chelsea thinking of building a new stadium, WHU in @55k stadium ....is there that much demand for another ? No disrespect to Fulham but I don’t see how a move to Wembley would benefit them ......maybe the owner but not the football club ! There is no way he is going to try and buy it just for a maximum of 9 NFL games a year so is selling Craven Cottage on prime land next to the river the appeal ?
    I would hope we stay a small club, and never ever move from out ground, ourhome is our club, to move would be the end of Ffc

Quote Originally Posted by Fulham traveller View Post
    I would hope we stay a small club, and never ever move from out ground, ourhome is our club, to move would be the end of Ffc
    Nice post.

What are ticket prices like these days? I work in Putney a couple of days per week and they used to advertise season tickets at the station and they were peanuts. Obviously you've moved on as a club, but is it still reasonable, or is a small ground and growing demand driving prices up?

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    My thinking exactly.... especially the 'who cares' bit.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Sad if so. The potential for the club is big!

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    You're spot on. I am really glad that we are being careful with the money as I would much rather be a yo-yo club, a la West Brom in the naughties, and build a solid foundation so that we don't go through the financial meltdown again.
    You make it sound so easy to pop back up again if we go down.