+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Are we ever going to try to win a cup tie again?

Are we ever going to try to win a cup tie again?

Most of our fans seem happy for us to play a weakened side if we’re chasing promotion, and also now that we’re gonna be fighting relegation.
    I thought the main point of the game was to try to win?

Re: Are we ever going to try to win a cup tie again?

In fairness, we did try and win the Mansfield replay in last season's FA cup once we knew we'd be playing home against Man City in the next round.

No ,not yet in our evolution.

Not sure I could have possibly cared any less about last nights game if I'd tried. Shame Huddersfield and Newcastle went out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Not sure I could have possibly cared any less about last nights game if I'd tried. Shame Huddersfield and Newcastle went out too.
    Sorry, but I just don't get that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Most of our fans seem happy for us to play a weakened side if we’re chasing promotion, and also now that we’re gonna be fighting relegation.
    I thought the main point of the game was to try to win?
    I agree. We are supposedly in the top 20 teams in Britain. That gives us a chance of winning either cup. Why not have s crack?

In a discussion about the usual cup ties are a distraction stuff, someone made the great point that we are playing eight fewer league matches this season, so why not try and get a couple of early season wins behind us to boost confidence?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    In a discussion about the usual cup ties are a distraction stuff, someone made the great point that we are playing eight fewer league matches this season, so why not try and get a couple of early season wins behind us to boost confidence?
    It always baffles me. If a team is winning games in the league, then playing your strongest 11 in a cup tie can only benefit their winning mentality. If you lose, then you’ve gone down trying your hardest. If your losing games in the league, then it’s a chance to regain the winning mentality.
    What’s the point of even entering a cup competition if you’ve no ambition to win it?
    The 1st yr that Burnley got promoted to the premier league, they went deep into both cups as well.
    When I first started going down the City, if someone had said to me your gonna see them 4 times at Wembley, I’d have thought they were on drugs.
    Now it seems like a kind of arrogance that it doesn’t matter anymore.

Nothing winds me up more than not trying in the cups, I can see why managers do it because all the owners care mostly about the league and a cup run can get them sacked. But still it's so annoying for the fans, a cup run is all most teams can get excited about in the season. Give me an FA cup final over a season in the Premier League any day.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    But we're playing the same number of games this season as everyone else in the division. This isn't a defence of our attitude, but I don't see it as that relevant.

It's such a piss take how much contempt modern managers show for the cup competitions.

Would Jacks or Blues fans trade their league cup wins or Wigan and Pompey fans their FA Cup wins for a couple more seasons in the premier league? Not a chance. Is there a statue of any Captain or Manager commemorating a 17th place finish? The fact is that since the war every single club in the football league bar Arsenal has been relegated. It happens. It's not the end of the world.

On the other hand the names of the legendary cup winners are etched into their clubs histories, Wigan, Portsmouth, Wimbledon, Coventry, Blackpool, Cardiff, Bolton. Victories that continue to be spoken about decades after they occurred.

Danny Blanchflower once said "the game is about glory", he must be turning in his grave to see how the game now is all about riding the gravy train and mundane matters like actually winning something seem to be almost confined to the dustbin of history.
    Last edited by Cardiff Ultra; 30-08-18 at 09:46. Reason: Error

The team we put out should have been good enough to win that game. I think NW is still giving fringe players the chance to stake a claim in the 1st team. They largely failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    It's such a piss take how much contempt modern managers show for the cup competitions.
    Neil Warnock can be accused of many things, but being a 'modern' manager certainly isn't one of them.....

What you say largely echos my feelings, although in recent years I think Man City have tended to field strong sides in cup matches, so maybe Pep Guardiola shares some of your views.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Neil Warnock can be accused of many things, but being a 'modern' manager certainly isn't one of them.....

What you say largely echos my feelings, although in recent years I think Man City have tended to field strong sides in cup matches, so maybe Pep Guardiola shares some of your views.
    I think Man City have the squad deep enough to be able to afford to rotate enough throughout the season to get away with it.

I think the problem is mostly that managers are now more than ever judged on league results with not much thought given to cup runs so see it as self preservation.

It's all down to prize money which is a pretty shite way to look at football really.

Spurs haven't won anything in years but still have little or no interest in the cups because the champions league is now seen as much more prestigious.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think Man City have the squad deep enough to be able to afford to rotate enough throughout the season to get away with it.
    You might be right, but there's a distinct difference between rotating players and making wholesale changes.

I was genuinely surprised when I read the BBC report of Tuesday's game and saw the team Warnock had fielded. I thought he'd be sure to go with the same midfield so that Arter, Ralls and Camarasa would have more time playing together, and I was also sure he'd give Zohore 90 minutes hoping that he'd get a goal or two.

For clubs at the top of the tree who have European games to take into consideration, I can understand fielding much-changed teams in League and FA Cup matches, but it's always seemed bizarre to me that clubs like Cardiff do the same. I can't see any benefit to it whatsoever, but unfortunately a large percentage of modern-day football fans seem content for their seasons to revolve around nothing more than league matches.

It felt to me like Warnock was looking for someone to put their hand up as a plan B, unfortunately no one did

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You might be right, but there's a distinct difference between rotating players and making wholesale changes.

I was genuinely surprised when I read the BBC report of Tuesday's game and saw the team Warnock had fielded. I thought he'd be sure to go with the same midfield so that Arter, Ralls and Camarasa would have more time playing together, and I was also sure he'd give Zohore 90 minutes hoping that he'd get a goal or two.

For clubs at the top of the tree who have European games to take into consideration, I can understand fielding much-changed teams in League and FA Cup matches, but it's always seemed bizarre to me that clubs like Cardiff do the same. I can't see any benefit to it whatsoever, but unfortunately a large percentage of modern-day football fans seem content for their seasons to revolve around nothing more than league matches.
    Yeah it’s frustrating, the best seasons we’ve had have involved cup runs.

I can see why he’d want to give some fringe players a chance but not so many, especially when there’s a break next week anyway for most of our players.

Does anyone expect Matt Connolly to feature in the league this season?

Maybe the managers worry about injuries in a competition that isn’t going to keep them in a job, but still it seems a joke.

It all comes down to money.

Cup competitions are now an afterthought and fans of the clubs only take a big interest around the quarter final stage.

The armchair subscription fan in the main are just interested in the PL.

For the genuine fan nothing beats attending a game.

But why make the effort when the clubs involved are not treating the cups with any importance.