+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: World Cup Bid

World Cup Bid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45349026

I'm not sure this is a good idea. It'll give the other FIFA Nations yet another excuse to demand a Team GB.

Re: World Cup Bid

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45349026

I'm not sure this is a good idea. It'll give the other FIFA Nations yet another excuse to demand a Team GB.
    Why would it? With 48 team world cups, the days of one country hosting a tournament are going to be extremely rare. You need 48 training grounds for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Why would it? With 48 team world cups, the days of one country hosting a tournament are going to be extremely rare. You need 48 training grounds for starters.
    Very true, but where does this leave the automatic qualification for hosting it? Is that going to be abandoned or will it go to the 'bigger' country out of the partnership of countries hosting it?

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Very true, but where does this leave the automatic qualification for hosting it? Is that going to be abandoned or will it go to the 'bigger' country out of the partnership of countries hosting it?
    I don't know, it hasn't been announced for 2026 either but I'd imagine it would be difficult to let 4 countries qualify automatically.

The euros next time are across Europe; Mexico, Canada and USA have won their World Cup bid.

Just the direction it's going at the moment, no worries for the home nations because of this.

Not sure I'm a fan of it but as said for all but the largest of nations its probably going to be needed.

I don't know but I guess there'll be a lead country in the bid (probably same as where the final will be) and they'll be deemed host. Although if it goes to 48 teams then there's room to maneuvre, and maybe take one or two qualifying places from the host federation.

Think it would be great idea but until they sort out the transport infrastructure here I don’t think they’ll give us a game

I'm aware of joint bids being accepted, and the "North American" bid. But, there is not a clamour in FIFA for Canada, USA and Mexico to compete as one team, either in their hosting of the WC or in all other competitions. Whereas, FIFA (which was set up to rival the IFB of which Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland were the founder members) has a huge number of Countries that want to see the 4 "home nations" compete as one. This is aggravated by the FA's continuous campaigns to have a Team GB in the Olympics.

As far as I'm aware, NI only has Windsor Park available for Internationals, Wales could probably use CCS, Liberty and (hopefully not) the Millennium stadium. Scotland probably have Celtic Park, Ibrox, Hampden and Murryfield.

A bid by Wales and ROI would be a better option in my view.

No countries want to see the home nations compete as one, it is just bullshit.

The thing that other countries want changed is the international football association board.
    This is the body that determines the rules of the game.
    There are 5 members
    The FA
    The SFA
    The FAW
    The IFA
    And
    FIFA
    Each of the home nations has one vote and the rest of FIFA has 4.
    So Wales has a disproportionately larger say over the rules of the game than the likes of Brazil, Germany, France or Italy.

When the home nations start scaremongering about being made to merge into one team it is really that they are worried about losing this priveliged position at the top table

I'm aware of joint bids being accepted, and the "North American" bid. But, there is not a clamour in FIFA for Canada, USA and Mexico to compete as one team, either in their hosting of the WC or in all other competitions. Whereas, FIFA (which was set up to rival the IFB of which Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland were the founder members) has a huge number of Countries that want to see the 4 "home nations" compete as one. This is aggravated by the FA's continuous campaigns to have a Team GB in the Olympics.

As far as I'm aware, NI only has Windsor Park available for Internationals, Wales could probably use CCS, Liberty and (hopefully not) the Millennium stadium. Scotland probably have Celtic Park, Ibrox, Hampden and Murryfield.

Why hopefully not the millennium stadium?

Wales and ROI don't have enough stadia to do it unfortunately, nowhere near enough.

Particularly if we're not using the millennium

You need 48 training grounds, as well as at least 16 stadiums with a capacity of over 40k. Wales currently as 1, ROI has 2. England has to bid for it to be even slightly feasible, and in all honesty, England probably need us, ROI, Scotland and NI for the training facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Wales and ROI don't have enough stadia to do it unfortunately, nowhere near enough.

Particularly if we're not using the millennium
    I thought of this after I'd posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Why hopefully not the millennium stadium?
    Because it's a rugby stadium.

Because it's a rugby stadium.
    It's a great stadium though, great atmosphere when it's full. It would be perfect for a world cup.
    The fact they play the occasional game of rugby there is irrelevant.

It cost Russia £12Billion to put on the World Cup. No way could Wales & ROI put up that costs.

4 home nations + ROI would be the sensible way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It's a great stadium though, great atmosphere when it's full. It would be perfect for a world cup.
    The fact they play the occasional game of rugby there is irrelevant.
    Ok.

Reserve

Could always bring back the home internationals as a decider

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Bluebird View Post
    Could always bring back the home internationals as a decider
    I think all the hosts will qualify, and come out of the number that will qualify for that region