+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing idea.

Amazing idea.

We could signed Vokes or Walters from Burnley in January.

Realistic. Relatively cheap. Provide support/advice for Ken.

They’d fit in perfectly with our system. We are never going to play two up front.

Re: Amazing idea.

Walters is 35 next month and has not started a league game in the last 18 months.

His last season at Stoke he scored 8 goals.

Is he actually the answer to our lack of goals?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    We could signed Vokes or Walters from Burnley in January.

Realistic. Relatively cheap. Provide support/advice for Ken.

They’d fit in perfectly with our system. We are never going to play two up front.
    I think the club already have a couple of rollers to flatten the grass

Vokes has scored fewer than 10 league goals in 3 top flight seasons.

Jon Walters once missed a pelanty and scored two own goals in the same game (V Chelsea).

Should have signed Troy

Regarding goals. You’d have to say that both have played mainly as substitutes for the last three , maybe four seasons.

They have the desired experience at the top level at least. Moreover, considering our reputation, financial clout and rigid one man up front tactics, I think you could do worse than either of these two.

We are direct and need a BIG striker who can score headers and hold up the ball. They are not attractive signings by any stretch but neither are our tactics and they are the most pragmatic option IMO.

Heisenberg

Regarding goals. You’d have to say that both have played mainly as substitutes for the last three , maybe four seasons.

They have the desired experience at the top level at least. Moreover, considering our reputation, financial clout and rigid one man up front tactics, I think you could do worse than either of these two.

We are direct and need a BIG striker who can score headers and hold up the ball. They are not attractive signings by any stretch but neither are our tactics and they are the most pragmatic option IMO.
    Vokes may have been an option, but Walters is going on loan to bottom-of-The-Championship Ipswich. Surely that's a sign of where his current footballing ability lies?

The problem is neither of them is very good, Vokes could work but I think deeney would have been a much better option.

John Walters is past it now and never really was that good outside of a few warmer patches at stoke.

The preoccupation of some with wanting a striker to score goals feels a little naïve to me. What we don’t have is the ability or maybe it’s creativity to create chances at this level. To do that we ha e to have the ball and probably move it quickly. We don’t do that, so we’re probably going to have to rely on pressing higher up the field and turning play over and likely have to play off mistakes by the opposition but the reality is we’re not going to see much of the ball.

I’m ok with that - we won’t concede a hatful either against most teams but let’s not delude ourselves that a striker is the solution and getting a reserve from another team or someone with Premier League experience isn’t going to improve the situation. 2 or 3 pacey, skillful midfielders who can tackle as well might do the trick for us but a single striker in the mould of Vokes won’t solve anything. What about Jon Parkin?😂

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Should have signed Troy
    Don't think that was ever an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Vokes has scored fewer than 10 league goals in 3 top flight seasons.
    He scored 10 in 2016/17, I'd say Vokes is better than Ken and it would be nice to have more Welsh internationals at the club

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He scored 10 in 2016/17, I'd say Vokes is better than Ken and it would be nice to have more Welsh internationals at the club
    Nice???? What are you on?

Let’s sign Ledley, Williams and Gunter and throw in Robson-Kanu for good measure 😂

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Nice???? What are you on?

Let’s sign Ledley, Williams and Gunter and throw in Robson-Kanu for good measure 😂
    I think you should stop being so arrogant and at least TRY to frame your argument in a way that isn’t so unnecessarily confrontational. I find it tends to promote enjoyable discussion for all parties.

RE the “we need to create more so need 3 midfielders” , I think it’s clear we ain’t going to get that. To say that we don’t need a striker is difficult for me to understand though. I think the only one you can put a little bit of faith in is Ken and even then it’s a leap....if we are going on goals, KZ’s record is not that much better than Vokes’ and that’s at championship level. Whatever the case may be, you have to go with KZ as one of the main striking options simply because of his attributes and our playing style. Outside that, if we are talking about back up that fit the bill in terms of either quality or role, none of the other strikers fit the lone front man role and have the type of quality/pedigree you’d want to give us some hope.

We may need more creativity, but we definitely need more options for the lone front man role.

Madine doesn’t look to have the quality. Reid and Ward don’t look to have the right stature.

I’ll throw another into the ring. Not exactly the biggest lump but half decent in the air and can hold up the ball, also not bad on the deck. Shane Long.

Should have signed Troy
    The Watford captain who has started all of their games, helping them to 3 out of 3 wins?

Should have signed Troy
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Jon Walters once missed a pelanty and scored two own goals in the same game (V Chelsea).
    And kicked himself in the face with the ball.

I think you should stop being so arrogant and at least TRY to frame your argument in a way that isn’t so unnecessarily confrontational. I find it tends to promote enjoyable discussion for all parties.

RE the “we need to create more so need 3 midfielders” , I think it’s clear we ain’t going to get that. To say that we don’t need a striker is difficult for me to understand though. I think the only one you can put a little bit of faith in is Ken and even then it’s a leap....if we are going on goals, KZ’s record is not that much better than Vokes’ and that’s at championship level. Whatever the case may be, you have to go with KZ as one of the main striking options simply because of his attributes and our playing style. Outside that, if we are talking about back up that fit the bill in terms of either quality or role, none of the other strikers fit the lone front man role and have the type of quality/pedigree you’d want to give us some hope.

We may need more creativity, but we definitely need more options for the lone front man role.

Madine doesn’t look to have the quality. Reid and Ward don’t look to have the right stature.

I’ll throw another into the ring. Not exactly the biggest lump but half decent in the air and can hold up the ball, also not bad on the deck. Shane Long.
    You completely missed my point (which was admittedly in my first response). We could have Lukaku, Aguero, Morata or Kane as our single centre forward and we wouldn’t create a chance for them without creativity in midfield

You completely missed my point (which was admittedly in my first response). We could have Lukaku, Aguero, Morata or Kane as our single centre forward and we wouldn’t create a chance for them without creativity in midfield
    Oh and by the way don’t mistake my utter incredulity for arrogance. You’re clutching at straws.

I get your point and it has been mentioned before , though a Feeney type player with better experience in this league may have ran in different channels to create the space and different opportunities that Ken has yet too find , or work out.

It's important to remember not many of our players have experience of this league and its tactics, were a learning club , and these draws though will be invaluable, come the season end, on a positive note we've not had a trouncing or been outclassed yet .

Next few games will determine the direction of our season in a big way , another set of draws will do me fine .

Oh and by the way don’t mistake my utter incredulity for arrogance. You’re clutching at straws.
    It’s your use of sentences like “what are you on” and “you’re clutching at straws” that are unnecessarily confrontational. It sounds like you want to end every point/post you make with a Trumpesque catchy put down. You could forego those sentences and you’d sound like a more normal person.

If you’re open to other points of view I’d counter your ‘more creativity’ argument with a couple of ideas. First, I think that between Mendez-Lang, Murphy, Paterson, Gunnarrson, Hoilett, Camarasa, Arter and Reid we have players who are either tricky, fast or know how to pass the ball. Whilst we could maybe do with a Whittingham type player I think there are enough players there to create SOME chances. Would you not feel better if we had someone like Vokes or Long (or maybe both ) in the squad? If you compare our midfield options with our options up front I just think that beyond KZ we have nobody who can fit into the role and cause problems for the opposition. Madine? Ward? Reid as a lone striker? Completely unconvincing at this level.

Can you imagine the type if impact it could have on the game and the crowd if we could bring Vokes on at 60 minutes, or have a fresh KZ smashing it for the last 25. Rotating between Vokes, Long and Zohore would pose loads more questions and give a lot extra bite up front. Whether you find it a bit of nothing point as well, I think that Vokes playing in Wales the CCS could work in terms of the realtionship he has with the fans and the familiarty of surroundings too. I’d even say that someone like Long would embrace the atmosphere we can generate at home games.

Now, whether or not getting that calibre of player is beyond our financial scope or reputation I don’t know. I don’t think they are the type of players who would command huge fees or wages and I think a starting role at a club like Cardiff City could be attractive to either.

Talking about pragmatism, why not change our tactics instead of lining up as though we had a mythical striker player for us?

As amazing ideas go...

Next few games will determine the direction of our season in a big way , another set of draws will do me fine .
    Agree with Feeney point. Movement is key, especially when we need to pinch goals from crosses and hold up play. It's much easier to create chances for strikers who can find space, jump higher or use their body to control the ball. That's also why I think it's probably the last three games as opposed to the next two that have shown us the direction we need to go. Any points at all against the top six will be a bonus. Wins against the likes of Newcastle, Hudds and Bnmouth will be key to us getting a foothold in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Talking about pragmatism, why not change our tactics instead of lining up as though we had a mythical striker player for us?
    Moderately amazing idea considering the window is closed for the next three months. What would you suggest we do ?

I see NW sticking with the same formation hoping that Zohore comes good.