Sir Garfield Sobers - Six 6’s in an over

Re: Sir Garfield Sobers - Six 6’s in an over

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    Is it really

Malcolm Nash
    We've come long way since....
    oh hang on!

Nash took just under 1000 first-class wickets (including Sobers more than once) at a good average of just over 25.
    His best bowling figures were 9 for 56 (the tenth wicket fell to a run out) in the first innings against Hampshire in 1975, when he took 14 wickets in the match.

He took 7 for 15 to dismiss Somerset for 40 in 1968.

He also scored two hundreds with the bat, and hit four consecutive sixes himself in one over.

His top score was 130, made against Surrey in the first game of the 1976 season. Coming in with the score 65 for 6 in reply to 338, Nash reached his century in 76 minutes.

His other century came in 1978 against Leicestershire, when he came in at 78 for 7 and made 124, including five sixes, one of which brought up his century.

When Glamorgan won the County Championship in 1969, going through the season undefeated, Nash was the side's leading wicket-taker, with 71 at 18.98 in 21 matches; he also made 435 runs at 22.89.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Nash took just under 1000 first-class wickets (including Sobers more than once) at a good average of just over 25.
    His best bowling figures were 9 for 56 (the tenth wicket fell to a run out) in the first innings against Hampshire in 1975, when he took 14 wickets in the match.

He also scored two hundreds with the bat, and hit four consecutive sixes himself in one over.

His top score was 130, made against Surrey in the first game of the 1976 season. Coming in with the score 65 for 6 in reply to 338, Nash reached his century in 76 minutes.

His other century came in 1978 against Leicestershire, when he came in at 78 for 7 and made 124, including five sixes, one of which brought up his century.

When Glamorgan won the County Championship in 1969, going through the season undefeated, Nash was the side's leading wicket-taker, with 71 at 18.98 in 21 matches; he also made 435 runs at 22.89.
    Fair play, I was a bit flippant with my remark with the intention of bringing in some humour regarding the current sad state of affairs over at Sophia Gardens.

Nobody can argue that Malcolm was a top player in one of the great Glamorgan sides, which the stats you have so painstakingly put together show.

Unfortunately for him, and Glamorgan, he will always be remembered by many for being on the wrong end of sir Garfield's devastating bat that day at St Helens.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Fair play, I was a bit flippant with my remark with the intention of bringing in some humour regarding the current sad state of affairs over at Sophia Gardens.

Nobody can argue that Malcolm was a top player in one of the great Glamorgan sides, which the stats you have so painstakingly put together show.

Unfortunately for him, and Glamorgan, he will always be remembered by many for being on the wrong end of sir Garfield's devastating bat that day at St Helens.
    Can’t argue with stats in cricket and they show what a fine player he was,cricket at that time was a far more honourable game he was bowling slow left arm spin that day he could have bowled a wide gone off his longer run after all he was a fast medium bowler and a very occasional spinner or he could have done a Chappell and bowled under arm but thankfully he didn’t ,know that would have been unfortunate

The footage of St Helens looks great with a decent crowd in. It’s a far superior cricket ground than Sophia Gardens and in some ways they should have redeveloped that ground instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    The footage of St Helens looks great with a decent crowd in. It’s a far superior cricket ground than Sophia Gardens and in some ways they should have redeveloped that ground instead.
    I used to love watching cricket at St Helens as a kid. So much better than Sophia Gardens. One of England's early odi's was played there against New Zealand in 1973 and I was in awe as a 9 year old at Dennis Amiss hundred that day. Greg Chappells ton against Glamorgan in 1975 ( I think), beating Leicestershire in the Gillette Cup semi final in 1977. St Helens just seemed to be the natural home for Glamorgan in a way that Sophia Gardens followed by the Swales could never be.

Must admit I did enjoy the St Helens fixture, as I did the games at Llanelli, Ebbw Vale, Neath, Ponty and Colwyn Bay, as it was like going to an away game but it was"free", being a Glam member.

Membership was also reasonable, unlike nowadays post-SWALEC.

Must admit I did enjoy the St Helens fixture, as I did the games at Llanelli, Ebbw Vale, Neath, Ponty and Colwyn Bay, as it was like going to an away game but it was"free", being a Glam member.

Membership was also reasonable, unlike nowadays post-SWALEC.
    My dad used to take us on holidays every year to Port Eynon and our trips to St Helens in the sixties when they had a great side were a highlight remember a fantastic final day when we managed to beat the Aussies in front of a massive holiday crowd should never have moved to Cardiff in my opinion

Boycott on tms today was talking about the 6 sixes over . Lewis the Glam captain said to Nash after 4 sixes maybe revert back to your medium pace balls instead of spin Nash replied no way I think I'm gonna get him out !

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

I can also remember Nash causing havoc very early on in the England innings in an England v the Rest test trial (remember them?) down at Hove when the tide must have been in (or out?) and the ball was swinging around. I suppose the modern Glamorgan player to compare him to is Graham Wagg, who I'd rate as a better batsman than Nash. They both dabbled with a bit of spin, but Nash was definitely the better seamer and swing bowler - I've always got the impression that he wasn't too upset about the place in history he has as the "fall guy" in something amazing, but it's a shame such a fine county cricketer is remembered in this way.
    As for Gary Sobers - simply the best cricketer ever as opposed to Bradman being the best batsman ever and Warne the best spinner - I seem to remember reading somewhere that besides being high international class with his batting, fielding and three different types of bowling, he was also a good wicket keeper and I believe he has been a scratch golfer in his time.