+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone on here still buy a newspaper?

Does anyone on here still buy a newspaper?

I stopped getting them a few yrs ago now. Just catch up with the latest goings on on my phone now.

Re: Does anyone on here still buy a newspaper?

Same here there are so many platforms to get the latest info from these days. You can't imagine anyone buying a paper after reading the metro on the bus. I think the older generation still buy newspapers but I think their days are numbered which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    Same here there are so many platforms to get the latest info from these days. You can't imagine anyone buying a paper after reading the metro on the bus. I think the older generation still buy newspapers but I think their days are numbered which is a shame.
    I guess days are numbered for both old generation and papers!
    Yes, as an oldie I do buy a paper, and I do get my news off apps and social media. I genuinely think there will be a place for newspapers for many years to come, even though usage is declining.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

. I think the older generation still buy newspapers but I think their days are numbered which is a shame.

Newspapers or the older generation ?

The Echo has gone downhill, the online version, Walesonline is lazy and pathetic.

For horse racing purposes the papers are still useful. Easier on the eye seeing the full cards all in one hit.

I stopped reading them, when chip shops stopped wrapping my fish & chips in them.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Newspapers or the older generation ?
    Well I am older generation and after looking after the grandkids I feel like my days are definitely numbered.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Well I am older generation and after looking after the grandkids I feel like my days are definitely numbered.
    👍🤪

Bring The Football Echo back (The Pink). Grabbing a copy on the way to the boozer.

I’d buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Culver Blue View Post
    Bring The Football Echo back (The Pink). Grabbing a copy on the way to the boozer.

I’d buy that.
    The Football Echo and a pint after a Saturday game ... perfect combination!

I must admit, when I was living in Cardiff last (left in 2003) I NEVER missed buying the evening Echo - I'd rather go without food than miss that. I'm not sure of the quality these days, but I used to find it a great read.

I buy the i, in fact subscribe to get it cheaper, but after reading, I like to do the puzzles.
    With hereditary dementia in the family, I need to keep my mind active!

I still bu the Echo, mainly as above to do the crosswords and Sudoku. By the time I get the paper I have seen all the City news, usually the day before.

I'm a journalist and I don't buy papers anymore. Admittedly I can read them all at work, but I use apps to keep up to date when I'm not in the office.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

I must admit, when I was living in Cardiff last (left in 2003) I NEVER missed buying the evening Echo - I'd rather go without food than miss that. I'm not sure of the quality these days, but I used to find it a great read.
    You're not missing anything these days re the Echo.
    Like you, I bought the Echo religiously all my life (as my father before me did). I would drive all over the place looking for one if my local newsagent had run out.
    In the past 5-10 years the quality and content is embarrassingly bad, like The City reporting..
    e.g. 10 things City players like for breakfast!
    I exaggerate there but you get the picture.
    Sadly I wouldn't cross the road to buy it now.

Only on a Saturday for the racing

Just as a wee aside, I was working as a sports reporter in the Midlands when the pink paper was just about still going up there. 2009 or something like that.

You’d ring the office 6 times during the 90 minutes and give them some words over the phone. The Saturday girls would take down the copy and then obviously by full time there’d be a full report there.

It was amazing how quickly the papers were on the shelves, but some of the mistakes that were there because they’d misheard you were cringey. I stopped reading the reports back in the end.

I get the times on a Saturday or Sunday times - but only because it’s free at waitrose

Have not bought the echo since they printed those photos of city fans at Stoke on the front and back pages. Talk about kangaroo justice, some of those fellas lost their jobs and were totally innocent of any wrong doing. Poxy rag.

Yes I do Sunday Times is a great read , and you can have a deal where you get the Times cheaper on subscription plus have it on line every day .

I might buy the I for a quick read if I'm not in work .

Read Guardian , Times , Newsnow.UK on line, plus BBC for headline stuff.

I stopped on 7th January 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Culver Blue View Post

I’d buy that.
    Bloody hell , Nirvana times.

I buy the Echo but only because my missus wants it. I personally wouldnt bother. Very poor standard of reporting, boring news generally. Most articles are somebody doing a charity walk etc. The worse thing of all its now a morning paper whereas it used to be printed in the afternoon hence the Late Echo. I assume the Western Mail and the Echo are not much different.

I picked up the Western Mail yesterday because I wanted to read about the Wales game. I was staggered when I saw that it was £2! So I put it back down.

I buy a paper on Saturdays sometimes. Apart from enjoying the format, I find that with online media I apply my filters and only read what I'm already interested in, whereas in print I usually have a go at almost every article in the paper - and I believe that's good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinblue View Post
    I buy a paper on Saturdays sometimes. Apart from enjoying the format, I find that with online media I apply my filters and only read what I'm already interested in, whereas in print I usually have a go at almost every article in the paper - and I believe that's good for me.
    Good shout. I buy a paper because I don't do social media or have a smart phone. Like you, i'll sift through a newspaper and come across stuff that I would never think of reading, more often than not, I learn something. I also like the physical aspect of reading a newspaper, and I have to walk to the shop and get it-may even speak to a couple of people along the way-Old fashioned!