+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone on here still buy a newspaper?

Re: Does anyone on here still buy a newspaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    You're not missing anything these days re the Echo.
    Like you, I bought the Echo religiously all my life (as my father before me did). I would drive all over the place looking for one if my local newsagent had run out.
    In the past 5-10 years the quality and content is embarrassingly bad, like The City reporting..
    e.g. 10 things City players like for breakfast!
    I exaggerate there but you get the picture.
    Sadly I wouldn't cross the road to buy it now.
    The main problem with the WME is the horrific cuts to budgets and staff by the unscrupulous Trinity Mirror Group, as they chase profits for shareholders and bonuses for the top brass above anything else. (As is so often the case everywhere a la Carillon etc).

Unfortunately, this has led to the majority of the experienced journalists sub editors and editors being laid off, so you now only have two virtually identical publications.

You also don't have any of the scrutiny of the local elite, that you used to have.

It's almost like that was the plan!

The sooner Trinity fook off, the better.
    The resulting space will soon be filled by real local publications again, and with journalists actually uncovering what the corrupt /incompetent are up to, as used to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Good shout. I buy a paper because I don't do social media or have a smart phone. Like you, i'll sift through a newspaper and come across stuff that I would never think of reading, more often than not, I learn something. I also like the physical aspect of reading a newspaper, and I have to walk to the shop and get it-may even speak to a couple of people along the way-Old fashioned!
    Face-to-face conversation? it'll never catch on!

In Adelaide we have one local paper, the Advertiser, owned by Merdoch.
    Enough said.