+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Printed road maps.. following on from phone books

Printed road maps.. following on from phone books

Just had a look around and I can't see any in the house. I can't remember the last time I used a printed road map. Does anyone still use them? I can't see them still being made for much longer.

Re: Printed road maps.. following on from phone books

Love to look at paper maps but now they are on-line they too will become obsolete.

I'm a cartographer and lead walks - and I have to confess that I use the OS app on my phone rather than purchase the wonderful OS paper maps. And prior to travelling in obscure countries I use 'offline' (GPS) Osmand maps having plotted all my waypoints on them in advance.

Still have one and used it over the last few days. Road maps are more useful for the first 90% of a journey and then a sat nav comes into its own for the final part.

Yes for hiking, no in car

I still have a couple of 20 years old A to Z books in the van and still use them now and then.

I love a US road map. A page for every state. All the state info: size, population, capital etc.

For walking I use the OS app but I'll usually print off a section of map that covers the walk just incase the phone died while I'm out.
    I have a road atlas in the car but can't remember when I last used it.

Just bought a Road Atlas as the sat nav in the Peugeot is shite at diversions & the resolution is too fine, might be car of the year but the software is pants

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'm a cartographer and lead walks - and I have to confess that I use the OS app on my phone rather than purchase the wonderful OS paper maps. And prior to travelling in obscure countries I use 'offline' (GPS) Osmand maps having plotted all my waypoints on them in advance.
    I usually print off a map of the area I'm walking, but back it up with GPS and OS map on my phone. Many times a footpath may not be evident when you're walking and you can end up in a bog and have to retrace your steps. Using GPS keeps you much more on the straight and narrow.

Although I use SatNav to find an address, a road map is an essential if you're touring. You can see so much more of the area around you and take to the B roads ETC.

Both have their uses.

I see we have a few walkers on here. What sort of walking you in to?

Ive done the GR20 down the spine of Corsica and the Tour Mont Blanc. Also large sections of the GR10 across the Pyrenees and going back down to Spanish Pyrenees next week to do the Ordesa Canyon. Also enjoy the Beacons.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    I see we have a few walkers on here. What sort of walking you in to?

Ive done the GR20 down the spine of Corsica and the Tour Mont Blanc. Also large sections of the GR10 across the Pyrenees and going back down to Spanish Pyrenees next week to do the Ordesa Canyon. Also enjoy the Beacons.
    Nothing as challenging as that. Mostly, Gower, The Beacons and some Mid Wales. The area above Dan Yr Ogof, up toward Trecastle is a favourite. Llyn Y Fan Fawr & Fach are good walks. I have the Crash Sites book and I've walked to a few of those.

I wish I'd done more when I was younger, as I have to resort to drugs now. Ibuprofen is my best pal.

Ive done the crash sites behind dan yr ogof, enjoyed it but it was a very misty, autumnal weekend. Woke up in the morning could hardly see my tent from 10 paces away! Not explored the Gower, Im put off by the parking and crowds, is it any good for long weekend walk?
    Im past 50 now and noticed my first aid kit is getting heavier with tablets by the year too. Theres nothing like a wild camp carrying everything you need on your back. A week in the wilderness really does reset the mind and body.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ Jack View Post
    I usually print off a map of the area I'm walking, but back it up with GPS and OS map on my phone. Many times a footpath may not be evident when you're walking and you can end up in a bog and have to retrace your steps. Using GPS keeps you much more on the straight and narrow.

Although I use SatNav to find an address, a road map is an essential if you're touring. You can see so much more of the area around you and take to the B roads ETC.

Both have their uses.
    I like to set my satnav to "shortest" rather than "fastest" route. You get to use some "interesting" roads, but it can take ages