+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Off to see the Cyclones opener shortly.....anyone know what I'm referring to?

Off to see the Cyclones opener shortly.....anyone know what I'm referring to?

Re: Off to see the Cyclones opener shortly.....anyone know what I'm referring to?

Give us a clue.

Re: Off to see the Cyclones opener shortly.....anyone know what I'm referring to?

Jack Trice

A windy cricketer

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ Jack View Post
    Hey, thanks for trying but no, the Cyclones are the student football team for Iowa State University. We've just moved here (Ames that is) as my missus is now teaching at the U.

Jack Trice is, I guess, the guy who donated most of the cash for their 60,000 seater stadium:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jack...mcgaFfREhSuyM:

Apparently the Cyclones haven't got a great history but have been on the up for the past few years and had a really good season last year. They play in the 'Big 12' conference and I'm not sure just where that is in terms of the US as a whole. Sounds good though.

Going as a guest, hospitality and half-way line seats. Can't be bad.

Will report more tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Hey, thanks for trying but no, the Cyclones are the student football team for Iowa State University. We've just moved here (Ames that is) as my missus is now teaching at the U.

Jack Trice is, I guess, the guy who donated most of the cash for their 60,000 seater stadium:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jack...mcgaFfREhSuyM:

Apparently the Cyclones haven't got a great history but have been on the up for the past few years and had a really good season last year. They play in the 'Big 12' conference and I'm not sure just where that is in terms of the US as a whole. Sounds good though.

Going as a guest, hospitality and half-way line seats. Can't be bad.

Will report more tomorrow.
    Your guess about who Jack Trice was is wrong. Have a read of this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Trice

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Your guess about who Jack Trice was is wrong. Have a read of this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Trice
    That's me being lazy - every building on campus is named after someone usually the benefactor, its an American thing. Thank you for looking this up, which you're right, I didn't. Good work

As for the game - it began well with the home team running in a 60-yard touchdown in the 10th minute. Then, as promised by the forecasters, the mother of all thunderstorms began and the players were ordered off until it passed by. Under H&S regulations in Iowa, the game doesn't restart until 30 minutes after there hasn't been lightning within 8 miles of the stadium. When that didn't happen after an hour or so, we left for home and the game itself was then cancelled an hour later

No replay, no refund- typical of the yanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    That's me being lazy - every building on campus is named after someone usually the benefactor, its an American thing. Thank you for looking this up, which you're right, I didn't. Good work

As for the game - it began well with the home team running in a 60-yard touchdown in the 10th minute. Then, as promised by the forecasters, the mother of all thunderstorms began and the players were ordered off until it passed by. Under H&S regulations in Iowa, the game doesn't restart until 30 minutes after there hasn't been lightning within 8 miles of the stadium. When that didn't happen after an hour or so, we left for home and the game itself was then cancelled an hour later

No replay, no refund- typical of the yanks
    I thought the phrase "rain check" originated from situations like that. If the game was rained off you were given a chitty that let you back in when it went ahead