+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warnock changing our tactical identity then?

Warnock changing our tactical identity then?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45391252

Seems to me he's accepted that the way we've been playing since he came in isn't going to work in the premier league, and will now encourage us to attack more, even if it means defeat, and stop playing with one striker.

This could actually work in our favour. Teams will be studying footage and tactics from our last 2 years in the championship, but on game day, we won't actually be playing that way.

This could be fun.

Re: Warnock changing our tactical identity then?

Well it was a bloody game,well done the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post

Seems to me he's accepted that the way we've been playing since he came in isn't going to work in the premier league, and will now encourage us to attack more, even if it means defeat, and stop playing with one striker.

This could actually work in our favour. Teams will be studying footage and tactics from our last 2 years in the championship, but on game day, we won't actually be playing that way.

This could be fun.
    We have always played an attacking style under warnock. We out shot almost everyone we faced last season, and we certainly weren't looking to shut games down into a turgid midfield tussle.

I put it down to the fact we only had one half fit wk get in Hoillet

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I put it down to the fact we only had one half fit wk get in Hoillet
    I get the impression that it was a bit more than just an enforced shift due to injuries, if that’s what you’re suggesting. Warnock referred to a shift in style during the week and also after yesterday’s game.

Time will tell, but it seemed to be an acknowledgement that we’ll have to evolve this season and not just rely on what served us well in The Championship.

He's right in many ways, we kept clean sheets against newcastle and then Huddersfield but at the cost of not having enough going forward. In the end whatever we deserved for our efforts, 10 man Newcastle easily could have beaten us.

We will still be largely defensive I'm sure but considering we lack out and out goalscorers and our chance per goal ratio probably being higher than most then I'm all for us being braver in attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post

This could be fun.
    We need to and can pass it more now also, we have 3 good engines in midfield. It always going to be a battle, but even if we do go down I have belief that this team if stays together will find life easy next season and will do well.

It's kind of refreshing to see Warnock talking about evolving our style of play. Maybe he's not the dinosaur a lot of people think he is, and will have some tricks up his sleeve.