+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Poor defensively today

Poor defensively today

Not something we've said too often, but Morrison and Bamba will not be ooking back with much satisfaction. Too many mistakes, not keeping tiget in the box, led to all the goals.
    Still a learning curve, but both will have to shape up quickly.
    Manga did ok IMO, although he made mistakes with just Bennett looking as if he can step up.
    Warnock and his coaches will need to do a lot of work on the training ground before Chelsea.

Re: Poor defensively today

To be fair they were up against two strikers today with a combined value of £120m.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    To be fair they were up against two strikers today with a combined value of £120m.
    Which makes it even worse that Bamba didn’t mark a simple run for the 1st goal. And despite the other 2 being fantastic strikes, they were still given far too much space to shoot, which is basic.

Just hope it was one off day and our 2 centre backs, who are a big part of the reason we’re in the premier league, learn from the experience yesterday.

Poor to concede from a set piece.

I think for the other two as a team we went into our shell a bit, perhaps combined with fatigue.

The numbers they threw forward combined with the movement off the ball must be a made for an awkward day defensively for everyone.

Learning curve though and I think so far we have shown we can compete, about getting wins from somewhere now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post
    Which makes it even worse that Bamba didn’t mark a simple run for the 1st goal. And despite the other 2 being fantastic strikes, they were still given far too much space to shoot, which is basic.

Just hope it was one off day and our 2 centre backs, who are a big part of the reason we’re in the premier league, learn from the experience yesterday.
    I though5 all 3 goals were avoidable. Bamba was v poor for the first he just switched off, morrison simpley turned sideways and gave the forward an easy shot it looked terrible tbh and bamba let the forward get a couple of yards on him to smack the 3rd in. We have to do much better than that

Bamba completely switched off for the 1st and the 3rd. The second is poor but nowhere near as bad as the other two. If he scores from there, fair play but it should have been blocked. I think Morrison is worried about getting underneath the run and getting skinned if Aubameyang chops it back onto his left.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Not something we've said too often, but Morrison and Bamba will not be ooking back with much satisfaction. Too many mistakes, not keeping tiget in the box, led to all the goals.
    Still a learning curve, but both will have to shape up quickly.
    Manga did ok IMO, although he made mistakes with just Bennett looking as if he can step up.
    Warnock and his coaches will need to do a lot of work on the training ground before Chelsea.
    You can't talk like that. In fact, you're not even allowed to discuss the game itself. Just support the boys and make some noise. Feel free however, to wax lyrical about the effort, the desire, the passion and what a bonus this season is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Bamba completely switched off for the 1st and the 3rd. The second is poor but nowhere near as bad as the other two. If he scores from there, fair play but it should have been blocked. I think Morrison is worried about getting underneath the run and getting skinned if Aubameyang chops it back onto his left.
    It was interesting that MOTD picked out Bennett as being out of position for the 3rd goal, suggesting he should have covered the space in towards Lacazette. Still no excuse for Bamba not getting tight enough, something they praised the Watford defenders for doing in the game before!

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

I think for the other two as a team we went into our shell a bit, perhaps combined with fatigue.

The numbers they threw forward combined with the movement off the ball must be a made for an awkward day defensively for everyone.

Learning curve though and I think so far we have shown we can compete, about getting wins from somewhere now.
    We are normally strong defending corners, but missed Zahore on the near post / 6 yard box, he wins a lot of defensive headers for us.

Their 2nd and 3rd were world class, can't blame defenders for those.

Big improvement, and I feel more optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    We are normally strong defending corners, but missed Zahore on the near post / 6 yard box, he wins a lot of defensive headers for us.

If that was Ash conceding them you’d be slaughtering him for 3 days

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post

Yes you can. The third in particular.. Bamba went to sleep again. He should never have let the forward have that much space. A decent defender and we would have at least drawn and that's the difference. Let's hope he learns quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Errors like this could have been spotted and worked on if we'd had a pre-season against challenging teams, as Wolves and Fulham did. Premier league teams don't pre-season against village teams. We may be having our pre-season now. Things will improve but points are being lost when they might have been saved with better preparation against higher standard clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It was interesting that MOTD picked out Bennett as being out of position for the 3rd goal, suggesting he should have covered the space in towards Lacazette. Still no excuse for Bamba not getting tight enough, something they praised the Watford defenders for doing in the game before!
    I would say that's extremely harsh as he's picking up Bellerin and has just followed him into the box. Think it is more of a case that Bamba can usually get us out of jail by being half a yard off the striker in the Championship and has enough time to get back, now if he's not tight, they won't give him enough time to get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mansfield View Post
    Errors like this could have been spotted and worked on if we'd had a pre-season against challenging teams, as Wolves and Fulham did. Premier league teams don't pre-season against village teams. We may be having our pre-season now. Things will improve but points are being lost when they might have been saved with better preparation against higher standard clubs.
    I think there's something truth in that. We are having to learn, on the job. Even the manager is learning. Hopefully after we play our next 2 games the Premier league will not be such a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I would say that's extremely harsh as he's picking up Bellerin and has just followed him into the box. Think it is more of a case that Bamba can usually get us out of jail by being half a yard off the striker in the Championship and has enough time to get back, now if he's not tight, they won't give him enough time to get back.
    So true. My lad talked about Bamba a lot last season, saying that those heroic blocks and last ditch tackles he was making were, more often than not, down to him being slightly out of position in the first place and that he'd get punished for it in the Premier League. So many good strikers in this league, it's something he'll need to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    So true. My lad talked about Bamba a lot last season, saying that those heroic blocks and last ditch tackles he was making were, more often than not, down to him being slightly out of position in the first place and that he'd get punished for it in the Premier League. So many good strikers in this league, it's something he'll need to deal with.
    Exactly what I think about him, he is a decent player but if his positional play was better we wouldn’t be seeing anywhere near as many of those heroics.