+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOTD 2 not impressed with us today at all then!

Re: MOTD 2 not impressed with us today at all then!

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    It wasn't negative at all. He was pointing out we need to be more clinical in the box. We do. And Jenas saying defence backing off too much was spot on.
    It just felt lazy. They focused on the goals only. Of course you can show pretty much any goal anytime and highlight defencive errors- after all how many goals are caused by good defending?

Of course you can always say “he needs to get closer there” but not many teams could do what arsenal did to us yesterday. Had we got closer they’d probably have just skipped past us as once our central defenders are turned that is pretty much that, it was the case in the championship so it will definitely be the case in the premier league.

We went for it yesterday and really went for them the way none of us were expecting. They didn’t even acknowledge that.

Perhaps a test for pundits would be for them to have to predict the score live on air before kick off. You’d imagine those two yesterday would have forecast a 2,3 or even 4 goal canter for Arsenal. Would be hard to justify their criticism after a 2-3 scoreline then. Or would that scenario highlight their ignorance? The City fans I spoke to prior to yesterday’s game were quite bouyant and while not out & out predicting a City victory they were confident that we’d give them a game, which was justified by the close result. City fans 1-Highly paid ‘pundits’ 0 in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Perhaps a test for pundits would be for them to have to predict the score live on air before kick off. You’d imagine those two yesterday would have forecast a 2,3 or even 4 goal canter for Arsenal. Would be hard to justify their criticism after a 2-3 scoreline then. Or would that scenario highlight their ignorance? The City fans I spoke to prior to yesterday’s game were quite bouyant and while not out & out predicting a City victory they were confident that we’d give them a game, which was justified by the close result. City fans 1-Highly paid ‘pundits’ 0 in my opinion.
    Studies like this have been done in football, lots of other sports and even the economy. And in terms of predicting things pundits/experts are no better than the average man on the street.

Prediction is hard as none of them would have known how we would approach the game etc..... However, the value in pundits is being able to explain what has happened and why. I don’t think the MOTD pundits did that.

Eg show me any goal from
    outside the box and the pundits can say “the defender should get closer there.” It’s just lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Studies like this have been done in football, lots of other sports and even the economy. And in terms of predicting things pundits/experts are no better than the average man on the street.

Prediction is hard as none of them would have known how we would approach the game etc..... However, the value in pundits is being able to explain what has happened and why. I don’t think the MOTD pundits did that.
    They’re a waste of time & money in my opinion, I’ve never taken much notice of them with their arrows & that pointing out he should have been there or he should have been over there, all bollocks. Or should managers listen to their advice put their stupid hindsight into action meaning that every game ends up 0-0?
    Reminds me of Brian Moore on The Big Match, he, apparently, used to do 4 or 5 commentaries on a Sunday morning, then pick the best one for the afternoon show. In my daft younger days after getting in from the 12-2 gallop I used to think Christ this man knows his football, he’s nigh on predicting every goal, penalty save, price of the hot dogs etc. The frigging charlatan was commentating nearly 24 hours after the final whistle 😂😂😂