+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Quick quiz question

Quick quiz question

What was unusual about yesterday's game that last happened in a City league game over 54 years ago ?

Re: Quick quiz question

Entertainment?
    I joke I joke.

Last time we scored a league goal against Arsenal?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Last time we scored a league goal against Arsenal?
    No - though it's actually 56 years since we did that but as this was only our third league game against them in that time then that's not unusual enough.

Just a guess, the first time in fifty four years that the scorers in a match with five goals all came from different countries?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just a guess, the first time in fifty four years that the scorers in a match with five goals all came from different countries?
    No it's a bit simpler than that though part of your answer is heading in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    No it's a bit simpler than that though part of your answer is heading in the right direction.

A game which involved 5 goals all from different goal scorers?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    A game which involved 5 goals all from different goal scorers?
    No - I think the Birmingham game in March had that happening.

First time we’ve been behind 3 times at home in one game?

Was wondering if we had a Spanish player score for us in the sixties but then remembered that Juan Cala scored for us at Southampton

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    First time we’ve been behind 3 times at home in one game?
    No that's not the right answer although I now feel compelled to try and find out when that last happened.

No that's not the right answer although I now feel compelled to try and find out when that last happened.
    Serves you right

First time we’ve played a side without an English player in the starting line up?
    Although I doubt that would’ve happened 54 years ago.

First time we’ve played a side without an English player in the starting line up?
    You're absolutely right ! Last happened on March 28th 1964 when Swansea beat us 3-0 with a team of eleven Welsh players.

March 2004 v Reading.

March 2004 v Reading.
    And when was the last time we went behind four times in a league game?

Fair play

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    And when was the last time we went behind four times in a league game?
    I'm not sure that's ever happened but happy to be proved wrong. My first thoughts were City v Stoke (4-4) in 59/60 or Rotherham v City (6-4) in 65/66 but it didn't happen in either of those games.

I'm not sure that's ever happened but happy to be proved wrong. My first thoughts were City v Stoke (4-4) in 59/60 or Rotherham v City (6-4) in 65/66 but it didn't happen in either of those games.
    I've lost some confidence in my own memory now but I was sure it's the game at Peterborough in October 87, just after the Michael Fish hurricane. I was there so it will hurt if you're now going to tell me we didn't go 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 then 4-3 down.

I've lost some confidence in my own memory now but I was sure it's the game at Peterborough in October 87, just after the Michael Fish hurricane. I was there so it will hurt if you're now going to tell me we didn't go 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 then 4-3 down.
    i'm sorry I hope this doesn't cause you too much pain but we actually took the lead THREE times in that match. I've just checked with the 88/89 Rothmans book and they have us 2-1 ahead at half-time. it might actually be the only game played where we took the lead three times but still lost. The scorers and times were:

Peterborough - Gooding (25mins), Lawrence (50mins), Luke (57 & 78 mins)
    City - Ford (14mins & 41mins), McDermott (51mins)

i'm sorry I hope this doesn't cause you too much pain but we actually took the lead THREE times in that match. I've just checked with the 88/89 Rothmans book and they have us 2-1 ahead at half-time. it might actually be the only game played where we took the lead three times but still lost. The scorers and times were:

Peterborough - Gooding (25mins), Lawrence (50mins), Luke (57 & 78 mins)
    City - Ford (14mins & 41mins), McDermott (51mins)
    Ouch.

The odd thing is I remembered it up to 5 years ago because I mentioned that game and its very unusual scoring pattern on here and we concluded that it probably hadn't happened before or since in the club's history then that night our DVP team went out and won 4-3 at Brighton having been behind three times which freaked out TOBW and Enoch (and myself) a bit. I've forgotten it since then though. I'll console myself by saying I had to move it out of my memory bank to make way for something more important.

Ouch.

The odd thing is I remembered it up to 5 years ago because I mentioned that game and its very unusual scoring pattern on here and we concluded that it probably hadn't happened before or since in the club's history then that night our DVP team went out and won 4-3 at Brighton having been behind three times which freaked out TOBW and Enoch (and myself) a bit. I've forgotten it since then though. I'll console myself by saying I had to move it out of my memory bank to make way for something more important.
    The Belgian end of season playoff format probably

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The Belgian end of season playoff format probably
    More than likely, yes. I had to forget the names of my wife and children to get that in.

Ask myself why I come on this site sometimes,
    Then a thread like this happens,
    Thanks for making me smile.

More than likely, yes. I had to forget the names of my wife and children to get that in.

Jokes aside, I used to laugh at my mum calling my siblings and I the wrong names but it seems I've been paid back.
    I remember people from the 70's for instance but I'm finding I'm forgetting current, really basic things, like calling close friends by another name!