+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical predictions for Wales v Republic of Ireland

Tactical predictions for Wales v Republic of Ireland

https://behindthegoal16.wordpress.co...ep-of-ireland/

Features Joe Allen's comparison with some of the top international midfielders, Ireland's lack of options and the teams likely to be picked by both Ryan Giggs & Martin O'Neill.

Let me know what your thoughts.

Re: Tactical predictions for Wales v Republic of Ireland

Ireland are always well organised and tough to beat. They don't seem to have any players who can produce that moment of magic for them for this game but cannot underestimate them.

I am looking forward to seeing Brooks develop and link with Bale and Ramsey. Hopefully Mepham starts at the back too.

Hope to see the progress of some of the younger lads and that we get a positive result and performance.

The Republic will make it difficult, sit deep and try to counter like they did in the last match. Think it will be a tight game.

I think I would prefer Bale up front especially if Ireland are playing 3 at the back and play Brooks make it more difficult for them and have them interchanging rather than just having a static striker as their defence is pretty ok.

Vokes is exactly what Ireland's defence would want, he's more mobile than he's given credit for but putting Bale up front to run in behind would terrify their back four

Can’t say I’ll be too impressed if Tom Lawrence starts, nor Ashley Williams. Could also live without Ledley or Vokes starting.

They'll kick lumps out of us again.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Can’t say I’ll be too impressed if Tom Lawrence starts, nor Ashley Williams. Could also live without Ledley or Vokes starting.
    Lawrence has 3 goals already this season, I'd be miffed if I was him and he didn't start. I'd play Bale in any of the 3 positions behind the striker, the last thing we need is him playing with his back to goal.

Ireland will play like Cardiff city.

Whoever scores first will win

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Lawrence has been one of the best players in the Championship this season, not sure why you wouldn't want him to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Lawrence has 3 goals already this season, I'd be miffed if I was him and he didn't start. I'd play Bale in any of the 3 positions behind the striker, the last thing we need is him playing with his back to goal.

Agree. Bale is not Ronaldo, if he plays as a CF we'll lose our focal point, we need Vokes to lead the line.

I'd go Vokes with Bale, Rambo and Brooks in behind with Lawrence, Wilson and Woodburn off the bench. Those options shows how far we've come.

Mepham not Williams i beg you Mr Giggs

Woodburn and John have been left out of the 23 for tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Woodburn and John have been left out of the 23 for tonight
    Not surprised at John but Matt Smith and Tyler Roberts over Woodburn is a big call.

I think the start of a new tournament is always a good time to try to blend one or two emerging talents into the starting line up. So, I'd have Mepham in for Ashley Williams (Chester to be captain) if we're playing four at the back and I'd like to see Ampadu playing alongside Joe Allen in the deeper central midfield positions.

I'll be disappointed if Giggs opts for a "safety first" selection with plenty of members of what is fast becoming the old guard in.

How would you rank our five best players?

1. Bale
    2. Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post

1. Bale
    2. Ramsey
    I'd have Allen ahead of Ramsey

1. Bale
    2. Ramsey
    In terms of importance:

1. Bale
    2. Ramsey
    3. Allen
    4. Davies
    5. Hennessey

In terms of importance:

1. Bale
    2. Ramsey
    3. Allen
    4. Davies
    5. Hennessey
    Probably this. Williams would have been 3 in recent times but not sure what has happened to him.

Outside of that it's difficult to gauge, all play their part and are equally important. Few younger lads coming through but their impact remains to be seen.

Had a look on the Ireland forum and they largely are more negative than this forum which is impressive. I think they have a good chance to get a point at least as it's the type of team we struggle against.

Goes without saying that Bale if on it can massively impact the 90 minutes.

Personally i would like to see - Lawrence, Brooks and Bale starting this game, that would ultimately see Bale leading the line. Whilst this isn't a friendly, it may be a time to look at this.

Ramsey and Allen are certain in my mind, do you then push and extra one in midfield and play a back four. This would free up Ramsey a bit. Or play 2 in the middle and play wing backs. I would probably look at Ampadu as part of a midfield 3.

Back 4 would be Davies, Mepham, Williams and Gunter.

I would have to look at this game with an eye on the future qualification campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Personally i would like to see - Lawrence, Brooks and Bale starting this game, that would ultimately see Bale leading the line. Whilst this isn't a friendly, it may be a time to look at this.

Ramsey and Allen are certain in my mind, do you then push and extra one in midfield and play a back four. This would free up Ramsey a bit. Or play 2 in the middle and play wing backs. I would probably look at Ampadu as part of a midfield 3.

Back 4 would be Davies, Mepham, Williams and Gunter.

I would have to look at this game with an eye on the future qualification campaign.
    Ramsey has to play in a three for me, with Allen and Ledley/Ampadu.

Why would you leave Chester out?

Id like to see Mepham, and i would give Williams a chance.

Chester is a steady performer. I'd play Ampadu for his passing ability and his defensive work.

Chester is a steady performer. I'd play Ampadu for his passing ability and his defensive work.
    Based on Ampadu's many, many league appearances. We're not playing a friendly tonight, it's a proper game and Chester is our best centre back by a street. Also, Mepham got bullied by Zohore last season.

Based on Ampadu's many, many league appearances. We're not playing a friendly tonight, it's a proper game and Chester is our best centre back by a street. Also, Mepham got bullied by Zohore last season.
    I'd take the attitude that whilst its not a friendly, it's also not a direct qualifier.

By looking at the likes of Brooks, Lawrence, Mepham and Ampadu, we will be learning things when the qualifiers take place.

Its unlikely we will win this whole tournament.

Ledley might start but he won't last the whole match. I'd chuck Ampadu in there and see what he can do. He's a very good player.