+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 4 million UK children too poor to have a healthy diet

4 million UK children too poor to have a healthy diet

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...et-study-finds

But the rich are getting richer and we’ve got our country back. Well done you vile Tories and all who voted for them.

Re: 4 million UK children too poor to have a healthy diet

Dreadful In this modern age .

The only point i'd like to make based on some personal close up experience of the issue of low income /benefits families and diets ,where we the decision is made to buy food lets say spuds , they buy frozen chips , not a bag of real spuds ,which are cheaper and longer lasting and healthier , as mash or jackets, it seems they default is frozen chips .

I also notice that in Asda / Aldi you can buy for fresh fruit , salads and soups , bread beans for a reasonable price now , it always though seems , they default to processed option or chippies or pizzas .

I think the report is well meaning and needs to be trumpeted ,but I also think the effort and attitudes of some parents in the lower income/benefits brackets is questionable .

In my personal experiences , when i'm now asked for money , which is often I now go and buy a healthy shop , just to help the children .

Can you give us documented facts about your frozen chip theory please?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Dreadful In this modern age .

The only point i'd like to make based on some personal close up experience of the issue of low income /benefits families and diets ,where we the decision is made to buy food lets say spuds , they buy frozen chips , not a bag of real spuds ,which are cheaper and longer lasting and healthier , as mash or jackets, it seems they default is frozen chips .

I also notice that in Asda / Aldi you can buy for fresh fruit , salads and soups , bread beans for a reasonable price now , it always though seems , they default to processed option or chippies or pizzas .

I think the report is well meaning and needs to be trumpeted ,but I also think the effort and attitudes of some parents in the lower income/benefits brackets is questionable .

In my personal experiences , when i'm now asked for money , which is often I now go and buy a healthy shop , just to help the children .
    I genuinely couldn't take your post seriously since you believe potatoes are longer lasting than frozen chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Can you give us documented facts about your frozen chip theory please?
    I'd rather not ,as its personal to my family , its a simple observation ,they are on benefits , its not a lot ,they struggle , but they sometimes could make better use of the little money they receive, and perhaps cook fresher food some of which is cheap ,such as spuds , beans , weetabix , milk etc , however they do opt for the more expensive processed options ,take away , frozen food ,and heavy sugared cereals , fizzy pops all quick options.

I'm not making a political point by the way ,its an observation, as I say I do help , hey perhaps its just them, and no ones else behaves this way , who knows ?

I'd rather not ,as its personal to my family , its a simple observation ,they are on benefits , its not a lot ,they struggle , but they sometimes could make better use of the little money they receive, and perhaps cook fresher food some of which is cheap ,such as spuds , beans , weetabix , milk etc , however they do opt for the more expensive processed options ,take away , frozen food ,and heavy sugared cereals , fizzy pops all quick options.

I'm not making a political point by the way ,its an observation, as I say I do help , hey perhaps its just them, and no ones else behaves this way , who knows ?
    My family members who are on benefits eat as healthily as they possibly can.

One family eating unhealthy does not mean that’s the norm.

My family members who are on benefits eat as healthily as they possibly can.

One family eating unhealthy does not mean that’s the norm.
    Whilst, equally, another family on benefits who eat healthily does not mean that the norm either.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Whilst, equally, another family on benefits who eat healthily does not mean that the norm either.
    Obviously. According to the study published in the article, they can't afford to!

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Obviously. According to the study published in the article, they can't afford to!
    Well Aunty Andy's friends who are on benefits manage to eat healthily on their benefits. It seems that they can afford to.

Perhaps, therefore, we are not comparing like for like?

Heisenberg

Well Aunty Andy's friends who are on benefits manage to eat healthily on their benefits. It seems that they can afford to.

"healthily as possible" was what she said - but either way, you were quick to slam the WAG for children in Wales going hungry in another thread, so I'm sure you will be forthcoming with your outrage of the UK Government following this news story, right?

Or is that "not comparing like for like"?

Gammon, just pure gammon

Gammon, just pure gammon
    I wouldn't say gammon is particularly healthy for anyone to be honest. Perhaps that's where you are going wrong.

Interestingly the families I know seem to have absent fathers as well , who should provide .

Interestingly the families I know seem to have absent fathers as well , who should provide .
    Obviously the father. But if the father is a typical man and doesn’t cough up for the kids then let the little bastards starve. After all it’s all the children’s fault

Heisenberg

Obviously the father. But if the father is a typical man and doesn’t cough up for the kids then let the little bastards starve. After all it’s all the children’s fault
    Nice.

You really do have a morbid hatred of men don't you? All men.

Heisenberg

You really do have a morbid hatred of men don't you? All men.
    You were quick to slam the WAG for children in Wales going hungry in another thread, so I'm sure you will be forthcoming with your outrage of the UK Government following this news story, right?

(you still haven't condemned the UK Government. Come on, Nick. Think of the kids!)

You were quick to slam the WAG for children in Wales going hungry in another thread, so I'm sure you will be forthcoming with your outrage of the UK Government following this news story, right?

(you still haven't condemned the UK Government. Come on, Nick. Think of the kids!)
    I merely agreed with the opening poster of the thread you referred to. It was her who slammed the WG initially.

Heisenberg

I merely agreed with the opening poster of the thread you referred to. It was her who slammed the WG initially.
    And you went on a little tirade of your own against them - but nothing about the Tory Government, unsurprisingly.

Nope only you! But I doubt you are what I would call “a real man” wink wink.

Nice.
    I’m just showing how silly it is to generalise.