+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tomlin

Tomlin

I read a post on WOL that he is playing for the U23. I understand that to keep him fit.
    But the poster also commented that he was taking all the free kicks thus not offering the opportunity to the young guys to develop. The poster thought it silly. So do I.

Re: Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    I read a post on WOL that he is playing for the U23. I understand that to keep him fit.
    But the poster also commented that he was taking all the free kicks thus not offering the opportunity to the young guys to develop. The poster thought it silly. So do I.
    It works both ways, a good delivery can help a striker, defender, develop. Tomlin can't play these games in order to help others develop, that isn't his problem. There will be people from other clubs watching him and he has to be assertive and take responsibility for his own benefit, although we know that he hasn't really done himself many favours. Maybe one of the younger players should challenge him, or the coaching staff, He's not there to help them. Anyway, u 23 football is a joke, there should be reserve leagues where there's a mix of young prospects, fringe players, Angry old pro's and trialists, the dynamics make it so much more competitive and not like a glorified exhibition match.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Silly in terms of "failing" any youngster coming through, sensible if we want him as a squad option when the January window comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Silly in terms of "failing" any youngster coming through, sensible if we want him as a squad option when the January window comes around.
    He's got quicker feet than any of our current midfieders, and he can weight a pass, just doesn't have that tenacity and work rate.

Bloody Tomlin posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It works both ways, a good delivery can help a striker, defender, develop. Tomlin can't play these games in order to help others develop, that isn't his problem. There will be people from other clubs watching him and he has to be assertive and take responsibility for his own benefit, although we know that he hasn't really done himself many favours. Maybe one of the younger players should challenge him, or the coaching staff, He's not there to help them. Anyway, u 23 football is a joke, there should be reserve leagues where there's a mix of young prospects, fringe players, Angry old pro's and trialists, the dynamics make it so much more competitive and not like a glorified exhibition match.
    I agree with you about the U23's and Tomlin. Years ago the Football Combination was a proper competitive league with teams full of a mixture of promising youngsters and older players not in the first team. All of them were striving to impress.
    Having said that, Monday's game was quite competitive for a change with Dirty Leeds top of the table and having about five players booked which is almost unheard of at this level.
    Most of the bookings were for fouling Tomlin who was outstanding playing up front in the second half and ran them ragged on times. He looked the only player capable of getting us a goal and he forced a number of good saves from their keeper. Presumably, if he had strolled around and let other players do everything that would have been wrong as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I agree with you about the U23's and Tomlin. Years ago the Football Combination was a proper competitive league with teams full of a mixture of promising youngsters and older players not in the first team. All of them were striving to impress.
    Having said that, Monday's game was quite competitive for a change with Dirty Leeds top of the table and having about five players booked which is almost unheard of at this level.
    Most of the bookings were for fouling Tomlin who was outstanding playing up front in the second half and ran them ragged on times. He looked the only player capable of getting us a goal and he forced a number of good saves from their keeper. Presumably, if he had strolled around and let other players do everything that would have been wrong as well?
    You know what, I reckon that Warnock is missing a trick not by not including Tomlin in the 25. I reackon that the Arsenal game was made for him. They allowed us time on the ball and weren't scared to leave spaces in order to stretch us. I don't think think that Tomlin lacks confidence and is probably a big game player who would have a right go at the more articulate teams in this division. I'm aware of his failings, but from what I've seen of him, he is the only midfield player we have who tries to create an angle with a pass, and he also supports the player he has passed the ball to. Probably not a popular opinion, but i'd have liked to have seen him given a chance against the teams that can play and who take risks, as he is in the same mould as a footballer.

You know what, I reckon that Warnock is missing a trick not by not including Tomlin in the 25. I reackon that the Arsenal game was made for him. They allowed us time on the ball and weren't scared to leave spaces in order to stretch us. I don't think think that Tomlin lacks confidence and is probably a big game player who would have a right go at the more articulate teams in this division. I'm aware of his failings, but from what I've seen of him, he is the only midfield player we have who tries to create an angle with a pass, and he also supports the player he has passed the ball to. Probably not a popular opinion, but i'd have liked to have seen him given a chance against the teams that can play and who take risks, as he is in the same mould as a footballer.
    Also Tomlin could have had a go with that free kick at the end that Ralls took. Agree think Neil messed up. Would have been a good option to have.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Also Tomlin could have had a go with that free kick at the end that Ralls took. Agree think Neil messed up. Would have been a good option to have.
    Yup, he's a risk taker, he has confidence on the ball, apart from hoilett, we don't really have anyone else like that, and he naturally supports the front man. I really believe that he would be an asset against the better footballing sides, in games where we have little chance of winning a bit of magic may make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    You simply cannot carry a bad attitude within this Warnock squad. You cannot be shouting at players demanding they be at a certain level of fitness, and then demand a level of pressing and togetherness, and let one player not do this.

Interesting latest post on his Twitter account, as if he's advertising his services (https://twitter.com/Leetomlin10). It's a bit late now, unless he's made a free agent? He also answers one of the comments about why he's in limbo.....

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    You simply cannot carry a bad attitude within this Warnock squad. You cannot be shouting at players demanding they be at a certain level of fitness, and then demand a level of pressing and togetherness, and let one player not do this.
    Maybe he just can't do it, can't play that way. As for fitness, well, he does look unfit, but maybe he's match fit, and we could have played to his strengths. Fitness is a funny thing, some people are more natural athletes than others. I'm pretty sure that Tomlin could improve his stamina, but his overall fitness-I doubt it. Fitness levels shouldn't be determined on who can run for the longest time, they should be determined on how hard a player works and in which areas. If Mendez and Tomlin had a race, mendez would destroy him, but it would not mean that Mendez worked harder than Tomlin during the race, it may be that Tomlin has to put in an extra 20% just to finish 20 yards behind him.

Maybe he just can't do it, can't play that way. As for fitness, well, he does look unfit, but maybe he's match fit, and we could have played to his strengths. Fitness is a funny thing, some people are more natural athletes than others. I'm pretty sure that Tomlin could improve his stamina, but his overall fitness-I doubt it. Fitness levels shouldn't be determined on who can run for the longest time, they should be determined on how hard a player works and in which areas. If Mendez and Tomlin had a race, mendez would destroy him, but it would not mean that Mendez worked harder than Tomlin during the race, it may be that Tomlin has to put in an extra 20% just to finish 20 yards behind him.
    I would imagine that Warnock would have expected him to come in and train and perform to certain level, and show a level of commitment that Tomlin didn't buy into, and instead of sacrificing the squad for the player he sacrificed the player instead of the squad.

Surely that is the correct way of doing things, as we have seen the squad gain promotion, whilst despite his talents there are not clubs falling over themselves to sign him.

Warnock sacrificed a squad over a player before in the case of Taarabt, and whilst it worked in the championship, it fell apart spectacular in the Premier league, and was a major player in him eventually losing his job. He may feel he doesnt fancy going that route again.

I have to disagree with the statement about being given time on the ball by Arsenal. It seemed whenever we got possession of the ball, we were pressured into giving it away again. The Premier League, so far, has not been the more pedestrian affair I thought it might be, far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    I would imagine that Warnock would have expected him to come in and train and perform to certain level, and show a level of commitment that Tomlin didn't buy into, and instead of sacrificing the squad for the player he sacrificed the player instead of the squad.

Surely that is the correct way of doing things, as we have seen the squad gain promotion, whilst despite his talents there are not clubs falling over themselves to sign him.

Warnock sacrificed a squad over a player before in the case of Taarabt, and whilst it worked in the championship, it fell apart spectacular in the Premier league, and was a major player in him eventually losing his job. He may feel he doesnt fancy going that route again.
    Maybe, who knows, but Warnock brought him in for a sizeable fee, and it seems he's got it badly wrong. My pitch is that he possesses a style of play that could suit us against sides where we have little chance of winning or more importantly, creating anything, nothing to lose in my book, although I take on board what you've said.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I have to disagree with the statement about being given time on the ball by Arsenal. It seemed whenever we got possession of the ball, we were pressured into giving it away again. The Premier League, so far, has not been the more pedestrian affair I thought it might be, far from it.
    There were more spaces to exploit than in the championship, and the way that Arsenal played invited us to play, they played with 6 in midfield when they were attacking. A quick thinking player may have unlocked their defence-It's a long shot, but I think that Tomlin could do a job against the better teams.