+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tonight's Captain

Re: Tonight's Captain

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    I'm still in Copenhagen, sorry for the delay!

Unfortunately I don't have time to respond to you all individually, apologies for that.

I am glad to report though, that the views of some on this MB, aren't the views of the majority of Welsh fans out here.

They want Welshmen playing for Wales, not English rejects!

Have some pride in your country.

Are these the same welsh fans that were singing Hal Robson-Kanu's name on Thursday and Sunday? Are these the same fans that lost their absolute marbles like I did when Vokes scored vs Belgium in Lille. Or are you just telling pork pies. How boring are you that you go round asking this question every Wales game? I suppose you don't rate Brooks or Ampadu?

Anyone that puts that shirt on and wears it with pride deserves nothing but respect and support. Ash is the best captain we've ever had and possibly ever will have. He's always turned up, he always gives his all and he cares, which is more than can be said for some of our welsh born players in the Toshack era.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    According to Wikipedia...

"In December 2010, Williams established the charity WillsWorld with his wife Vanessa, with a view to helping under-privileged children. He is also a patron of Street Football Wales which fights social exclusion, and the Ethan Perkins Trust (based in Swansea), which raises funds for research, support and awareness into childhood brain tumours."

What a bastard!
    His wife ran the charity for him.

Guess how he repaid her for all her hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    To the OP, how would you feel about Ampadu taking the armband in a few years?
    Ampadu's mother is Welsh, and he's played for Wales since he was a schoolboy.

He'll make a wonderful captain in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Are these the same welsh fans that were singing Hal Robson-Kanu's name on Thursday and Sunday? Are these the same fans that lost their absolute marbles like I did when Vokes scored vs Belgium in Lille. Or are you just telling pork pies. How boring are you that you go round asking this question every Wales game? I suppose you don't rate Brooks or Ampadu?

Anyone that puts that shirt on and wears it with pride deserves nothing but respect and support. Ash is the best captain we've ever had and possibly ever will have. He's always turned up, he always gives his all and he cares, which is more than can be said for some of our welsh born players in the Toshack era.
    "He always turned up"...... I love that one

"He always turned up"...... I love that one
    During the Toshack years half our squad pulled out with "injuries". When did Ash do that?

What Grangetown chooses to ignore is that Wales approached Ashley Williams to play for the country. In addition he has a Welsh grandfather on his mother’s side. He says his mother gets very emotional when she hears the national anthem. I think that’s great.
    I for one am grateful for what he has done with Wales. He is past his best now but he has been a massively reassuring presence in defence for a good number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    During the Toshack years half our squad pulled out with "injuries". When did Ash do that?
    In them days managers called the shots, these days it's players and their agents.
    It's really that simple.

People trying to compare Williams with other 'dual' national players, are really getting confused.

Some of these players have come through the Welsh schoolboy and junior section, and nearly all have one Welsh parent.

If you want a fair comparison, then compare Williams with Ryan Shawcross and Ben Turner. Both have the same eligibility as him, i.e one grandparent, but both politely declined as they were more English, and didn't want to deprive Welsh players of caps.

The fact that Williams accepted tells you all you need to know about the guy, and his ego.

In them days managers called the shots, these days it's players and their agents.
    It's really that simple.
    Eh? If manager’s called the shots why were half the squad pulling out with injuries? Who has been more committed to Wales? Welsh born Ryan Giggs or English born Ashley Williams? Did you celebrate when HRK scored our second v Belgium in the Euro quarter final btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    You know why we lost to Denmark tonight? I'll tell you why! Coz super Captain Ash wasn't on the pitch! What do you have to say to that?
    I know a few thousand Everton and Stoke fans would have a right chuckle at that!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Well it does seem incredibly churlish to bang on about your pet subject immediately after the team just recorded a fabulous victory.
    Win, lose, or draw, it's a subject close to my heart.

At least I'm consistent.

People trying to compare Williams with other 'dual' national players, are really getting confused.

Some of these players have come through the Welsh schoolboy and junior section, and nearly all have one Welsh parent.

If you want a fair comparison, then compare Williams with Ryan Shawcross and Ben Turner. Both have the same eligibility as him, i.e one grandparent, but both politely declined as they were more English, and didn't want to deprive Welsh players of caps.

The fact that Williams accepted tells you all you need to know about the guy, and his ego.
    So why aren’t you blaming Bryan Flynn for making the approach in the first place? Williams started making his way in the professional game late so missed out on age grade football. Presumably you were against HRK playing for Wales? Vokes? Etc etc.

Win, lose, or draw, it's a subject close to my heart.

At least I'm consistent.
    No you are inconsistent. I don’t see you targeting other players who have chosen to play for Wales on the grounds of having a Welsh grandparent.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I thought your OP did make one or two points,ie,his timing and athleticism is on the wane and he was more exposed than when Colman was manager but you are talking out of your brown hole on the above.
    Really, how do you know? Are you actually saying he would rather play for Wales than his own country?

He's more 'exposed' because the tippy tappy game is finished, and defenders now have to defend a bit.
    He's never been athletic (never had any pace), or had 'timing', and is worse than useless in the air.

Quite comfortable staying on the edge of the 18 yard box, passing to his full backs and goal keeper, and 'blocking' the odd shot with his ample torso.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    So why aren’t you blaming Bryan Flynn for making the approach in the first place? Williams started making his way in the professional game late so missed out on age grade football. Presumably you were against HRK playing for Wales? Vokes? Etc etc.
    I don't like us asking any English players to play for us, just because England don't want them.

I'd rather us play with 11 Welsh players that's all. Why should we be second best?

No you are inconsistent. I don’t see you targeting other players who have chosen to play for Wales on the grounds of having a Welsh grandparent.
    I do single him out I admit.
    Maybe it's because his mate made him captain, he's grossly overrated as a player, and let's just say he's not the nicest human being off the pitch either.

I do single him out I admit.
    Maybe it's because his mate made him captain, he's grossly overrated as a player, and let's just say he's not the nicest human being off the pitch either.
    He has to have had an affair with your wife for you to be this obsessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    He has to have had an affair with your wife for you to be this obsessed.
    Nah, not my my wife, she's far too classy for him.

I know a few thousand Everton and Stoke fans would have a right chuckle at that!
    You know a few thousand Everton and Stoke fans? Good lord.

I don't like us asking any English players to play for us, just because England don't want them.

I'd rather us play with 11 Welsh players that's all. Why should we be second best?
    Yeah but you’re happy to have a player whose parent may be Welsh but who may have never set foot in Wales in their entire life. At least Williams lived in Wales for nine years. If you want to go down your route we will never qualify for anything and yet more great Welsh players will miss out on finals just like Rush, Hughes, Ratcliffe, Giggs, Southall etc.

Nah, not my my wife, she's far too classy for him.
    Did he knock your pint over then? This has to be a hatred inspired by a bad personal interaction between the two of you of some sort.

Yeah but you’re happy to have a player whose parent may be Welsh but who may have never set foot in Wales in their entire life. At least Williams lived in Wales for nine years. If you want to go down your route we will never qualify for anything and yet more great Welsh players will miss out on finals just like Rush, Hughes, Ratcliffe, Giggs, Southall etc.
    Let's go down your route and become England's 2nd XI.

If we don't have players good enough, then we don't qualify. I have no problem with that.

Mind you, it's a lot easier to qualify these days with so many team at major finals, I'm sure we'd be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Did he knock your pint over then? This has to be a hatred inspired by a bad personal interaction between the two of you of some sort.
    I don't like an Englishman captain my country's football team, that's all. I make no apologies for that.

I don't like an Englishman captain my country's football team, that's all. I make no apologies for that.
    Thanks for continuing to reply but it still makes no sense to me for you to just single out one of the many English players who've played for Wales - as many other posts have pointed out already. There are so many shades to why someone would choose to play for Wales rather than England that it's almost impossible to judge one player as more patriotic than another.

Anyway, will leave it there as you've now explained why you dislike him so much. Cheers

[QUOTE=Penarth Blues;4915095]Thanks for continuing to reply but it still makes no sense to me for you to just single out one of the many English players who've played for Wales - as many other posts have pointed out already. There are so many shades to why someone would choose to play for Wales rather than England that it's almost impossible to judge one player as more patriotic than another.

Anyway, will leave it there as you've now explained why you dislike him so much. Cheers[/QUOTE

Just for clarity.
    He didn't choose Wales, Wales chose him.

I single him out beacause he's English, he's useless, he's an egomaniac, and he's not a nice person.

Let's leave it there