Quote Originally Posted by The Charterhouse of Parma View Post
I would say no.
That was my first thought - I'm not expecting anything similar to Thursday in today's match and would gladly settle for a draw. However, on further thought, I'm beginning to change my mind.

First thing to say is what constitutes a "golden generation"? England were supposed to have had one that was going to win the World Cup in 2006 - Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney et al were most definitely not a golden generation! I only became interested in the Welsh rugby team in the late sixties when players like Edwards, John, Davies (Gerald and Mervyn) and Williams burst on to the scene and formed the basis of a Lions team which went to the home of the best there was around then and beat them - for me Wales had a golden generation in rugby around half a century ago.

Eleven years ago, I can remember Wales Under 21s beating France 4-2 at Ninian Park on their way to giving England an almighty fright in the Play Offs - it felt like I was watching the start of something special that night and, when you look at the names in that French squad, it brings home just what an impressive win it was;-

http://www.skysports.com/football/wa...ance-u21/92225

I'd say six of those Welsh players have made significant contributions to the Welsh senior side, as has Andy King who came into the team for the matches against England - add in Wayne Hennessey, Chris Gunter, Joe Ledley and Dave Edwards, who were all emerging at that time, and the teenage Gareth Bale who had virtually by passed the under 21s on his way into the full squad and you can see why this generation were often given the "golden" treatment.

If you look at Welsh football history, then I would argue that reaching the Semi Finals of a major tournament entitles Bale and co for "golden generation" qualification, but did they ever do anything to a decent full international team like the current generation did to Ireland on Thursday?

The game which sprang to mind for me was this one;-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...es/6985879.stm

However, while there are a few of the "golden generation" dotted about among the squad, it consists primarily of older players and the inspiration for the big win came from a brilliant performance from the 28 year old Craig Bellamy.

I can't think of any other possible answer to that question I asked, so, with four of the current group of youngsters in a starting line up which also included twenty four year olds Ben Davies and Tom Lawrence, two more being brought on from the bench and Ben Woodburn and Harry Wilson, both of whom have made big impacts already for the senior side, not required on this occasion, I'd say the current group have already done something that the "golden generation" from around a decade ago never managed.