+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are we witnessing the birth of another ‘golden generation’?

Re: Are we witnessing the birth of another ‘golden generation’?

Quote Originally Posted by The Charterhouse of Parma View Post
    I would say no.
    That was my first thought - I'm not expecting anything similar to Thursday in today's match and would gladly settle for a draw. However, on further thought, I'm beginning to change my mind.

First thing to say is what constitutes a "golden generation"? England were supposed to have had one that was going to win the World Cup in 2006 - Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney et al were most definitely not a golden generation! I only became interested in the Welsh rugby team in the late sixties when players like Edwards, John, Davies (Gerald and Mervyn) and Williams burst on to the scene and formed the basis of a Lions team which went to the home of the best there was around then and beat them - for me Wales had a golden generation in rugby around half a century ago.

Eleven years ago, I can remember Wales Under 21s beating France 4-2 at Ninian Park on their way to giving England an almighty fright in the Play Offs - it felt like I was watching the start of something special that night and, when you look at the names in that French squad, it brings home just what an impressive win it was;-

http://www.skysports.com/football/wa...ance-u21/92225

I'd say six of those Welsh players have made significant contributions to the Welsh senior side, as has Andy King who came into the team for the matches against England - add in Wayne Hennessey, Chris Gunter, Joe Ledley and Dave Edwards, who were all emerging at that time, and the teenage Gareth Bale who had virtually by passed the under 21s on his way into the full squad and you can see why this generation were often given the "golden" treatment.

If you look at Welsh football history, then I would argue that reaching the Semi Finals of a major tournament entitles Bale and co for "golden generation" qualification, but did they ever do anything to a decent full international team like the current generation did to Ireland on Thursday?

The game which sprang to mind for me was this one;-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...es/6985879.stm

However, while there are a few of the "golden generation" dotted about among the squad, it consists primarily of older players and the inspiration for the big win came from a brilliant performance from the 28 year old Craig Bellamy.

I can't think of any other possible answer to that question I asked, so, with four of the current group of youngsters in a starting line up which also included twenty four year olds Ben Davies and Tom Lawrence, two more being brought on from the bench and Ben Woodburn and Harry Wilson, both of whom have made big impacts already for the senior side, not required on this occasion, I'd say the current group have already done something that the "golden generation" from around a decade ago never managed.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That was my first thought - I'm not expecting anything similar to Thursday in today's match and would gladly settle for a draw. However, on further thought, I'm beginning to change my mind.

First thing to say is what constitutes a "golden generation"? England were supposed to have had one that was going to win the World Cup in 2006 - Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney et al were most definitely not a golden generation! I only became interested in the Welsh rugby team in the late sixties when players like Edwards, John, Davies (Gerald and Mervyn) and Williams burst on to the scene and formed the basis of a Lions team which went to the home of the best there was around then and beat them - for me Wales had a golden generation in rugby around half a century ago.

Eleven years ago, I can remember Wales Under 21s beating France 4-2 at Ninian Park on their way to giving England an almighty fright in the Play Offs - it felt like I was watching the start of something special that night and, when you look at the names in that French squad, it brings home just what an impressive win it was;-

http://www.skysports.com/football/wa...ance-u21/92225

I'd say six of those Welsh players have made significant contributions to the Welsh senior side, as has Andy King who came into the team for the matches against England - add in Wayne Hennessey, Chris Gunter, Joe Ledley and Dave Edwards, who were all emerging at that time, and the teenage Gareth Bale who had virtually by passed the under 21s on his way into the full squad and you can see why this generation were often given the "golden" treatment.

If you look at Welsh football history, then I would argue that reaching the Semi Finals of a major tournament entitles Bale and co for "golden generation" qualification, but did they ever do anything to a decent full international team like the current generation did to Ireland on Thursday?

The game which sprang to mind for me was this one;-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...es/6985879.stm

However, while there are a few of the "golden generation" dotted about among the squad, it consists primarily of older players and the inspiration for the big win came from a brilliant performance from the 28 year old Craig Bellamy.

I can't think of any other possible answer to that question I asked, so, with four of the current group of youngsters in a starting line up which also included twenty four year olds Ben Davies and Tom Lawrence, two more being brought on from the bench and Ben Woodburn and Harry Wilson, both of whom have made big impacts already for the senior side, not required on this occasion, I'd say the current group have already done something that the "golden generation" from around a decade ago never managed.
    Excellent post.

I'll should point out that in those line ups v France U21's, Owain Fon Williams is down as playing centre back

I think the definition of a "golden generation" would be something like "a team of the same age group that achieves success". How that success is decided will be varied. Spain's golden generation would have to win the World Cup or Euro's, for us a semi-final appearance will more than suffice.

This new group of players obviously haven't achieved anything yet, but on Thursday night's showing, this group of players are going places. Ampadu will captain Wales for years when he hits his early twenties and I couldn't be more sure about that.

In recent years, we have only seen a couple of players added to squads but not become regulars - Tom Lawrence didn't play in the 2016 qualification campaign until the final match v Andorra, George Williams never featured in that campaign after the 4th game in November 2014 and hasn't played a competitive match since.

Players like Declan John, Adam Henley, Emyr Huws, Jonny Williams, Paul Dummett, Jake Taylor, Gwion Edwards weren't breaking into the team when they were all 22 or under - it was only Ben Davies from that crop who was able to hold down a place in the 11.

By comparison, David Brooks, Ethan Ampadu, Harry Wilson, Chris Mepham, Connor Roberts, Ben Woodburn could all comfortably challenge for a spot in the starting 11 for Wales. Tyler Roberts, Matthew Smith, Tom Lockyer, Joe Rodon, Dan James etc. will all be good backups for the time being. Add in the slightly older players 25 or under - Ben Davies, Tom Lawrence, Lee Evans, Declan John, Danny Ward, Emyr Huws, Jonny Williams and that is a great bunch of names to see listed.

We haven't had this for 8+ years, when Bale, Ramsey, King, Gunter, Allen, Collison Ledley (though he made his debut in 2005!), Vokes, Robson-Kanu, Church, Edwards, Taylor, Blake, Matthews etc. were put together with the slightly older heads of Bellamy, Gabbidon, Vaughan, Earnshaw, Collins, Ricketts, Williams, Crofts.

If this team doesn't qualify for EURO 2020 and the 2022 World Cup I will be gobsmacked. We took Ireland apart in that first half on Thursday like I've never seen a Wales side do before. The bigger test is Denmark tonight and I can't wait to see how the game turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Ampadu could be at the level of his quality in 10 years but obviously in a different position.

I highly doubt we’ll ever see someone of Bale’s attacking quality for a very long time.
    Its arguable that a few of our attacking players could come fairly close to Bale, its unlikely they'll match him but the likes of Woodburn & Wilson could become top players

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I hate to disappoint you Bob - but do you realise that you just responded to Cedric?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Its arguable that a few of our attacking players could come fairly close to Bale, its unlikely they'll match him but the likes of Woodburn & Wilson could become top players
    And Brooks, he was England's best player at u20.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous Angel View Post
    I hate to disappoint you Bob - but do you realise that you just responded to Cedric?
    I didn't it was him - no harm done as long as I ended up disagreeing with him, which I did in the end.

no

Gold plated more like

I think I said nope much earlier.

Whilst I thought it a bit early to be calling this golden generation, we were the better side for the first 25 mins or so and should have gone ahead.

Some naivety on Giggs part possibly with nobody on the bench to change the game if need be.

Never a penalty for me but the Danes did seem very comfortable after they went 2 nil.

Perhaps Ireland were shit after all!

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Whilst I thought it a bit early to be calling this golden generation, we were the better side for the first 25 mins or so and should have gone ahead.

Some naivety on Giggs part possibly with nobody on the bench to change the game if need be.

Never a penalty for me but the Danes did seem very comfortable after they went 2 nil.

Perhaps Ireland were shit after all!
    Well their best midfielder Arry ,was missing.

Hate to say this, but in truth they battered us and that could've been 5 or 6 nil.

They were simply more streetwise than us, won every 50/50, made the ball stick when they had it and completely nullified our threats.

Our set pieces were absolute pwp, and we looked rushed on the ball. The penalty killed us though as I think an equaliser would've sent the game our way.

I'm not too put out though, as it's very early days and I'm excited about what this squad can achieve when we gel properly.