+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: English players playing time in the EPL

English players playing time in the EPL

Interesting stats here from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45437421

And I think it is a shame that City have no current Welsh internationals in the team as well.

Re: English players playing time in the EPL

i wonder what percentage that would be if you only picked from the top 6 in the prem . i reckon it would be below 10% ?

is it just importing cheaper players from abroad or players from abroad far more technical and skilfull ? i,ll go for the latter. our youth academies are failing me thinks and i hate this excuse of bridging the gap between under 21 and senior football too

Cahill is leaving Chelsea according to the internet.

The PL has so much money running all the way down it means they can out spend and out pay those in the other leagues.

There are lots of English professional footballers it's just the league system is so strong they are having to play in lower leagues. I don't believe for a second that if you stick a kid in he's going to become an international player he will probably just be exposed. Otherwise those that drop down the leagues would just rise back up.

Look at Belgium it's not that they have 100s of excellent pros it's only a case you need 25 good enough to improve a national team which they have.

You are less likely to come through at a top club because the players they have are far superior.

If they want lots of English players playing then you wont have such a good league.

It's a bit broad. I'm sure England will be able to pick a squad of players who've had plenty of game time.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    The PL has so much money running all the way down it means they can out spend and out pay those in the other leagues.

There are lots of English professional footballers it's just the league system is so strong they are having to play in lower leagues. I don't believe for a second that if you stick a kid in he's going to become an international player he will probably just be exposed. Otherwise those that drop down the leagues would just rise back up.

Look at Belgium it's not that they have 100s of excellent pros it's only a case you need 25 good enough to improve a national team which they have.

You are less likely to come through at a top club because the players they have are far superior.

If they want lots of English players playing then you wont have such a good league.
    Absolutely. If there were more top quality English players, then they would be playing in the top flight. Take France in the world cup - the players they were able to leave out was frightening. Can't blame the league, blame the production line. If anything, having some of the best players in the world in our top flight should raise the standard of British players.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Absolutely. If there were more top quality English players, then they would be playing in the top flight. Take France in the world cup - the players they were able to leave out was frightening. Can't blame the league, blame the production line. If anything, having some of the best players in the world in our top flight should raise the standard of British players.
    You could say that it has for us Eric, Welsh players playing in the top flight are there on merit and earning their places in their respective teams despite the non British players being dominant. When there were plenty of Welshmen in the old division one we were a bloody parks standard team, the professionalism & dedication of the imported players has perhaps rubbed off and improved Wales more than any other home nation.