+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Events conspire against Wales, but better team wins on the day.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Events conspire against Wales, but better team wins on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    One positive for me yesterday was seeing how intelligent Lawrence has become in possession. Won free kicks in very good areas when there was nowhere to go and he was making runs that were far more intelligent than Bale made all game.

It was a very “2017 Chris Coleman” style performance yesterday. I wonder if that’s because Gunter was back in the side. I like Gunter but most of the time he was slowing play down, though he made a couple of forward passes that I’ve not seen him do for ages. This is a clear instruction by Giggs of course.

We are not going to be beating Denmark with ease, they are a quality team. I’m really not sure what some people were expecting?!

The U21s tomorrow have a real test on their hands against a Portugal side with Jota leading the line!
    That was a typical Gunter Reading type performance. He moved forward with the ball, checked, turned around and ran backwards before passing the ball back or at best sideways. It kills the momentum. There was no need to drop Brooks. I think Gunter has done well to win 89 caps. It really is time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    That was a typical Gunter Reading type performance. He moved forward with the ball, checked, turned around and ran backwards before passing the ball back or at best sideways. It kills the momentum. There was no need to drop Brooks. I think Gunter has done well to win 89 caps. It really is time for a change.
    Depends on what style you want to play and how much of the ball you are expecting to enjoy. For example, I imagine Gunter's positional sense and safe style on the ball is a better option if we were playing against a Belgium side away whereas Ireland at home absolutely called for different option - or at least Gunter playing 3rd CB rather than RB/RWB.

I thought we could have made greater use of Ledley and Vokes yesterday. As individuals they are not the most exciting but Ledley could have sat between back line and Ampadu/Allen slightly higher, or at least higher without the risk of leaving massive gap behind, while Vokes could have been used to play in Bale and Lawrence/Ramsey. Might not suit the high press or long term thinking Giggs wanted to employ but I doubt Eriksen would have scored that first goal and then Vokes as a useful Plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Depends on what style you want to play and how much of the ball you are expecting to enjoy. For example, I imagine Gunter's positional sense and safe style on the ball is a better option if we were playing against a Belgium side away whereas Ireland at home absolutely called for different option - or at least Gunter playing 3rd CB rather than RB/RWB.

I thought we could have made greater use of Ledley and Vokes yesterday. As individuals they are not the most exciting but Ledley could have sat between back line and Ampadu/Allen slightly higher, or at least higher without the risk of leaving massive gap behind, while Vokes could have been used to play in Bale and Lawrence/Ramsey. Might not suit the high press or long term thinking Giggs wanted to employ but I doubt Eriksen would have scored that first goal and then Vokes as a useful Plan B.
    Agree about horses for courses. Leaving Eriksen unmarked in the penalty box is never a good idea. I’m a bit fed up with Gunter, He’s not great. He doesn’t stop crosses often enough and backs off too often, Too many poor Reading performances for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Agree about horses for courses. Leaving Eriksen unmarked in the penalty box is never a good idea. I’m a bit fed up with Gunter, He’s not great. He doesn’t stop crosses often enough and backs off too often, Too many poor Reading performances for me.
    That's fair comment. I'd always be willing to listen to someone like yourself, who sees the player on a week-in-week-out basis. However, I wouldn't swap our team for Denmark's. Denmark hit so many stray passes, directly into touch or simply not finding their man.