+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Serena Williams cries sexism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Serena Williams cries sexism

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Most of her male and female colleagues seem to agree with her. So I'd say she has a point.
    Many female and Americans agree with her. Those outside this category seem to back the umpire.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Many female and Americans agree with her. Those outside this category seem to back the umpire.
    Fellow tennis professionals?

Fellow tennis professionals?
    BBC had an article covering different opinions. Andrew Castle (as far as I know he's not regarded as a dinosaur of opinion) for example suggested Serena was in the wrong. See also: http://www.skysports.com/tennis/news...-greg-rusedski

Serena cannot defend the way she spoke to the umpire. All she's claiming is that a male tennis player would have been given more delicate treatment before going to the rule book to correctly call the several violations but, surely, no one can claim calling out any of the several violations was wrong. If we looked at in football or rugby, for example, her behaviour deserved one booking after another until she was sent off.

Isn't it pretty bad that the argument seems to be that in this case the female tennis player should be allowed to get away with bad behaviour because men can rather than male tennis players should in general play to the rules as well? Has Serena apologised for her verbal abuse yet?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    BBC had an article covering different opinions. Andrew Castle (as far as I know he's not regarded as a dinosaur of opinion) for example suggested Serena was in the wrong. See also: http://www.skysports.com/tennis/news...-greg-rusedski

Serena cannot defend the way she spoke to the umpire. All she's claiming is that a male tennis player would have been given more delicate treatment before going to the rule book to correctly call the several violations but, surely, no one can claim calling out any of the several violations was wrong. If we looked at in football or rugby, for example, her behaviour deserved one booking after another until she was sent off.

Isn't it pretty bad that the argument seems to be that in this case the female tennis player should be allowed to get away with bad behaviour because men can rather than male tennis players should in general play to the rules as well? Has Serena apologised for her verbal abuse yet?
    The point is that even in every day life, men get away with it and women (especially black women) get called out on it. I haven't seen any threads about other tennis players having meltdown on court. I haven't seen it on the national news.

The point is that even in every day life, men get away with it and women (especially black women) get called out on it. I haven't seen any threads about other tennis players having meltdown on court. I haven't seen it on the national news.
    I haven’t seen federer,nadal or Djokovic have a meltdown and start giving it the big un that that call wouldn’t be made against a female if they did there would be outrage

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I haven’t seen federer,nadal or Djokovic have a meltdown and start giving it the big un that that call wouldn’t be made against a female if they did there would be outrage
    Google "Federer meltdown".

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I think she had a point about being coached from the stand... it happens all the time and I thought it was unfair for the Umpire to call her out on that while so many other players get coached from the stand.. Saying that her reaction was outrageous and sets a bad example. If she had swallowed her pride and made a complaint about this behind closed doors that would have been the best approach. She has been in the game long enough to know on court ranting is unproductive. I have no issue with the Umpire disciplining her for her conoduct and for smashing her racket. It is such a shame as it deflected away from her opponents great win. She completely disrespected her opponent by her antics.

But Serena hasn't said that she shouldn't get away with it? She verbally abused an official and is raising an issue about sexism. It would be a more focussed discussion if she apologised for her behaviour so the second part can be talked about only.

I bet you there was a thread about Buffon abusing the ref in the recent champions league game. I bet that was in national news.

Are all you saying its sexism purposely missing the facts?
    The stats do not back her up

"What do the stats say?

Williams, a 23-time Grand Slam champion, was one of 10 women punished for code violations at this year's US Open, while 26 men were fined.

Most of the fines issued were for racquet violations - 14 men and five women.
    Three men and three women were penalised for an audible obscenity, five men were fined for time delays, while four men and one woman were penalised for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Are all you saying its sexism purposely missing the facts?
    The stats do not back her up

"What do the stats say?

Williams, a 23-time Grand Slam champion, was one of 10 women punished for code violations at this year's US Open, while 26 men were fined.

Most of the fines issued were for racquet violations - 14 men and five women.
    Three men and three women were penalised for an audible obscenity, five men were fined for time delays, while four men and one woman were penalised for unsportsmanlike conduct.
    Were they docked points or games?