+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Video analysis of Wales attacking and defensive play v Denmark

Video analysis of Wales attacking and defensive play v Denmark

http://behindthegoal.cymru/2018/09/1...ideo-analysis/

On watching the game back, Davies didn't have a great game at all. Communication seems to be a big fault.

Re: Video analysis of Wales attacking and defensive play v Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    http://behindthegoal.cymru/2018/09/1...ideo-analysis/
    On watching the game back, Davies didn't have a great game at all. Communication seems to be a big fault.
    There were 5 Welsh players marking 3 Danish players when Eriksen drifted into space for the first goal. Either Davies should have stepped forward to meet him or Gunter should have tracked him when he was on his side of the pitch. I think Ampadu was right to close down the approaching opposition midfielder, given those numbers behind him. If Ampadu or Allen had tracked back with Eriksen, the three Danish midfielders would have taken a different option, so I would say the first goal was all down to bad communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    There were 5 Welsh players marking 3 Danish players when Eriksen drifted into space for the first goal. Either Davies should have stepped forward to meet him or Gunter should have tracked him when he was on his side of the pitch. I think Ampadu was right to close down the approaching opposition midfielder, given those numbers behind him. If Ampadu or Allen had tracked back with Eriksen, the three Danish midfielders would have taken a different option, so I would say the first goal was all down to bad communication.
    I think your spot on. I also think Mepham could have pressed Eriksen and left Chester to deal with the attacker in front of him.

It’s all easy saying this now, but surely they spoke about given Eriksen no time on the ball. That one chance he had and he buried it, the guy is a superb footballer. I can’t believe he was allowed that much room.

I think this is where having a leader in Williams helps, in organising who picks up who at the back.

I think your spot on. I also think Mepham could have pressed Eriksen and left Chester to deal with the attacker in front of him.

It’s all easy saying this now, but surely they spoke about given Eriksen no time on the ball. That one chance he had and he buried it, the guy is a superb footballer. I can’t believe he was allowed that much room.

I think this is where having a leader in Williams helps, in organising who picks up who at the back.
    I just mentioned it because WOL were blaming Ampadu for the goal. If he had tracked back with Eriksen there would have been three advanced Danish midfielders moving on the Welsh goal unopposed.

Yes, that was another option, so 3 missed opportunities to close him down, and we were rightly punished for it.

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 22.19.50.jpg

If you look at that graphic from my video, Gunter and Chester are marking the same player and nobody is on Eriksen. Ampadu has every right to be where he is because he was pressing the midfielder who had the ball before that.

Allen has to sprint back because he notices nobody is on Eriksen. He was marking the other midfielder in view before that, I think it's Sisto, but decides Eriksen is more of a priority. By that time, it's too late.

Whichever way you look at it, it's really poor defending to let Eriksen have that much room. 5 players marking 3 is not good, but we will learn from that.

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 22.19.50.jpg

If you look at that graphic from my video, Gunter and Chester are marking the same player and nobody is on Eriksen. Ampadu has every right to be where he is because he was pressing the midfielder who had the ball before that.

Allen has to sprint back because he notices nobody is on Eriksen. He was marking the other midfielder in view before that, I think it's Sisto, but decides Eriksen is more of a priority. By that time, it's too late.

Whichever way you look at it, it's really poor defending to let Eriksen have that much room. 5 players marking 3 is not good, but we will learn from that.
    If you go back a few frames, Eriksen was on the other side next to Gunter, who let him wonder off into free space. I was a bit annoyed that WOL decided to single out Ampadu for the goal, I thought it was very poor journalism The frame you have shown clears shows the 3 Danish midfielders in dangerous positions. Ramsey was a bit late on the scene too.

When I saw the Eriksen goal at the time I thought we deserve to lose for this alone. Basic stuff, awful goal to concede.