+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nations League thoughts so far

Nations League thoughts so far

It's all been quite complicated for people to fully understand due to so many possible permutation.

However so far think it's been a really good idea. I've actually enjoyed this national team break where I am usually just wanting league football to start.

The games certainly look competitive which is an improvement also it's good teams are competing against those of similar quality.

I like the fact groups are small and that all 3 teams are going to be in different leagues next time.

Obviously the lure of qualification for the euros is certainly the carrot. I do wonder what will happen with the next one where there is no spot for anything and actually wouldn't be surprised if some teams tried to get relegated to get an easier option to the following euros.

I think if you are in league 2 you are probably going to go into the play offs one way or another apart from a couple.

I see they are considering adapting it for world cup places however that probably wouldn't be until the numbers get increased.

Also are there any countries which aren't recognised by fifa but are by UEFA I know Gibraltar were but aren't now which could be an issue

Re: Nations League thoughts so far

1000x improvement on meaningless friendlies

Yes, enjoyed the fact that subs were limited, I hate watching friendlies and seeing 5, 6 or 7 subs coming on. The games certainly appeared to be far more competitive.

The thought did cross my mind that if this had been done 20yrs ago Giggs would have probably 15 or so more caps to his name and Fergie would have had to lump it.

I love it, I think its great

Seeing as if you're 1st/2nd in League B you'll go into pot 2 odds are the majority of League A & B will qualify through the usual qualifiers so the playoffs will mainly be made of Leagues C & D

It's gotta be a good thing, especially for the spectator.
    Nobody likes to pay good money to watch players go through the motions in a friendly.
    The best team available is usually on show too.

got to be better that watching games that mean nothing

great that we can cap younger players aswel

its all good imho

While it's better than "meaningless" friendlies I'm afraid I can't raise any enthusiasm for it.
    Essentially it's UEFA exerting control over the games outside qualifiers to limit the "gaming" of the rankings systems in friendlies by making sides play four games against teams at a similar level home and away.
    Unfortunately the 3 team group approach makes the competition a little unbalanced in that each round of fixture one side will play twice while the other play once.
    God forbid that anyone would "game" the new system by picking a reserve team for a non-competitive friendly before playing a Nations League game!

I think it's great, bit more on the line than a friendly and means Wales will play more regularly rather than avoid arranging friendlies.

Theme music is awful ,is it trying to be the champions league ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    1000x improvement on meaningless friendlies
    Why are there friendliest still being played then ��

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    2 fixture dates in each International "window". Nations League has groups of 3 hence in each window 1 side has two semi-meaningless friendlies in the Nations League while 2 sides have one Nations League fixture and one completely meaningless friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    2 fixture dates in each International "window". Nations League has groups of 3 hence in each window 1 side has two semi-meaningless friendlies in the Nations League while 2 sides have one Nations League fixture and one completely meaningless friendly.
    The nations league games aren't semi meaningless or friendlies.
    If we qualify for the euros from this route there wouldn't be many complaining

The nations league games aren't semi meaningless or friendlies.
    If we qualify for the euros from this route there wouldn't be many complaining
    They only have any meaning if sides fail to qualify for the Euros - from the qualifiers. Hence, they are really semi meaningless friendlies. I hope they prove to have been irrelevant to Wales.

They only have any meaning if sides fail to qualify for the Euros - from the qualifiers. Hence, they are really semi meaningless friendlies. I hope they prove to have been irrelevant to Wales.
    Not really, there's a separate trophy to be won, as well as promotion and relegation, it gives teams a shot at qualifying who never usually have anything to play for.

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    So that associations can make a bit of extra money by playing teams from the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    So that associations can make a bit of extra money by playing teams from the rest of the world.
    Also they don't get that many opportunities to play, you don't want to go into an important game without your side having played together for 8 months

Not really, there's a separate trophy to be won, as well as promotion and relegation, it gives teams a shot at qualifying who never usually have anything to play for.
    Yes. Not unlike our domestic play off situation where mid to lower league teams could still make a play off position, whereas back in the day, mid table teams just go through the motions with no hope of promotion and no fear of relegation.

A trophy mini-tournament for the top group only. "Promotion and relegation" to try and keep the semi meaningless friendlies between sides of a similar standard while not destroying the fixture list with the same fixtures in each edition of the "League".
    You are right though that it gives sides who can't qualify from the qualifiers "proper" another chance at qualifying. Personally I think it will unravel after the quality of the sides coming through from the lower groups have embarrassed themselves at a finals.

A trophy mini-tournament for the top group only. "Promotion and relegation" to try and keep the semi meaningless friendlies between sides of a similar standard while not destroying the fixture list with the same fixtures in each edition of the "League".
    You are right though that it gives sides who can't qualify from the qualifiers "proper" another chance at qualifying. Personally I think it will unravel after the quality of the sides coming through from the lower groups have embarrassed themselves at a finals.
    However negatively you want to look at it surely it’s better than friendlies though? These last 2 matches were much more interesting than any friendly I’ve ever watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    However negatively you want to look at it surely it’s better than friendlies though? These last 2 matches were much more interesting than any friendly I’ve ever watched.
    Yes, probably. IMHO it would be better if they re-designed the qualifiers though to reduce the number of friendly dates.

They also have a bearing on rankings in relation to the 2020 Euro draw

internationals screw up the league season, the latter is far more important imho!

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Yet, I daresay there will be a bigger crowd for the Spain game than there was for the Republic of Ireland match - I don't see the Nations League having a long term future.

That’s because it’s against one of the best teams in the world though. I don’t begrudge people wanting to see that.

I think the problem with the nations league isn’t the format it’s the lack of advertising of what it is.