+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FT: CHELSEA 4 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: CHELSEA v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

4-1

God help us against Man City next week

FFS Sol. We still had a chance at 2-1, the third knocked the stuffing out of us. There is always a danger of that happening when Bamba plays though

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Mendez Laing and Murphy Injured. Not sure we have a like for like replacement
    But if he's ineffective the formation is too. So if you haven't got the personnel to replace him, change the formation. Whats the worst that could happen by trying something different? Lose 4-1? Saying that though Chelsea are excellent.

Bamba was having a good game until one silly decision.

Positives:

- scored from a set-piece which shows that our efforts can be effective in the premier league.
    - Bamba (error aside) and Etheridge had a good game defensively
    - Ward played ok with little support and Bobby Reid works his nuts off again

Things to work on:

- finding the moments to offer a lot more support to our strikers rather than just 2 going against a 3/4 man defensive unit
    - holding onto the ball to give us a 5-10 minutes rest
    - cutting out the silly errors.

Vinny is going to be asking the question "Why isn't the manager scoring goals?".

I am absolutely gobsmacked that we don't appear to press anywhere on the pitch.

I thought this against Arsenal and after watching that, it was more of the same.

Chelsea were never ever under pressure on the ball. All we did was stand off and watch them and then make last ditch attempts at blocks and tackles in and around our own area. I'm mystified as to what Warnock's thinking is with it.

If you don't make challenges, you'll never win the ball. Every time we had the ball we had 1 or 2, sometimes even 3 Chelsea players on us straight away to win it back. Granted they have better players than us, but it's basics. Harass, tackle, put a foot in, give away a foul if you have to.

None of that today.

Anyway these games won't define our season. They're just quite painful to watch.

Onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shhh View Post
    Why is Hoilett still on? He's offered nothing going forward.
    Good squad player but does not deserve an automatic place. Hoilett offers very little these days.
    Murphy in for him next week against Man City.

One of the things that has surprised me about being in the EPL is how quick and how hard opposing midfielders come in. We give the ball away often with stray passes, but we're also getting it tackled away a lot.

Re: FT: CHELSEA 4 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

A gulf in class not just in technical ability but speed of thought, awareness, recovery and decision making. Understandable, of course. It was a happy half hour until we conceded to one of the best players in the world. Hopefully all these lessons will pay dividends later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    A gulf in class not just in technical ability but speed of thought, awareness, recovery and decision making. Understandable, of course. It was a happy half hour until we conceded to one of the best players in the world. Hopefully all these lessons will pay dividends later on.
    Spot on.

I’d add that Chelsea are top of the league and have a team full of some of the best players in their positions in the world: Hazard, Alonso, Rudiger, Kante all started and they brought on Willian plus Barkley and Zappacosta, who are both pretty decent. Chelsea are like a World All-Stars team and have been for many years.

To put the gulf in status into perspective, we brought on Madine, Jazz and Paterson. Nevertheless we had them worried till the penalty. I thought that Chelsea’s slick interplay, their dribbling, movement and pressing was mesmeric during long periods of the second half, and to hold out as long as we did while creating chances was commendable.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Things to work on:

- finding the moments to offer a lot more support to our strikers rather than just 2 going against a 3/4 man defensive unit
    - holding onto the ball to give us a 5-10 minutes rest
    - cutting out the silly errors.
    This 100%.

Lots of City fans were talking about wanting us to keep possession a bit more instead of slinging everything long all the time last season. This season it's critical we keep a bit more possession.

Ward was very isolated. I wonder if a Zohore/Ward combination would work better, in terms of giving us more chance of making something of an out ball. Sacrifice one of Ralls/Camarasa/Arter and give the role to Reid who is comfortable with the ball, can pass, makes tackles, tracks back and has tricks up his sleeve.

I'm no Bob Wilson but here's my report for cardiffcity-mad.co.uk

Cardiff City suffered defeat in West London yesterday as Eden Hazard turned on the style to put Chelsea top of the Premier League with a 100% record.

Hazard took the match ball home after scoring a hat trick but the best strike of the game came from his teammate William who curled a delicious effort past Neil Etheridge late in the game.

Things started much better for Cardiff. Backed by 2,800 noisy supporters, who to be honest put the home fans to shame with their support, the Bluebirds took the lead. Predictably, some might say, it came from set piece.

Joe Ralls' floated fee kick was met by Seam Morrison who headed back across goal for Sol Bamba to react quickest and volley the ball home.

City held on to the lead despite continuous Chelsea pressure and had Neil Etheridge to thank for two excellent saves before Hazard turned the game upside down before half time. First he was involved in a slick build up to burst free and finish smartly past Etheridge and then City were undone by a quick free kick and after a less attractive set of passes hazard's effort deflected off Bamba leaving Etheridge stranded.

The Belgian took pleasure in parading himself in front of the baying City fans and I don't blame him He was getting stick when taking corners in front of the supporters and enjoyed his celebration to give a bit back.

Cardiff were second best but not out of it. City did manage a couple of corners and got the ball into the Chelsea box but the difference in quality of the players was evident. Still Cardiff worked hard and looked to get the ball forward but for me the quality of Chelsea when they didn't have the ball was as impressive as when they did have it.

Led by the machine that is Ngolo Kante they were always chasing down and pressurising City into mistakes and giving possession away quickly. The home centre halves led a charmed life for most of the game against Bobby Reid and Danny Ward. That's no slight on the City strikers, they worked hard and chased and Reid was cm's away from bringing City level at 2 - 2 but then Sol Bamba played another massive part in the game.

He went striding across to challenge Willian in the box and it was so obvious that he was going to foul the Brazilian that like a car crash it seemed to happen in slow motion.

Hazard scored easily enough to make it 3 - 1 and Willian then scored a wonderful 4th goal to complete the victory.

City did get one more good chance. Callum Paterson, on as a striker for the last 20 minutes saw his header scrambled off the line by Kepa. The two late goals made the scoreline harsh but it never looked like Chelsea were going to lose the game after they went in front.

Harry Arter left the field at half time after feeling poorly so City's midfield was under-strengthed in the second half and as mentioned Paterson came on for Reid and seem to be playing as a striker and the final sub was Madine for Ward. So I guess Neil Warnock is saving Zohore for Man City next Saturday.

Another sub not used was Josh Murphy, who on yesterday's evidence would have added much more pace that Junior Hoilett offered. The Canadian struggled to get any joy down the flanks.

So that consecutive games where the Bluebirds have scored but both have been defeats. As mentioned next week it's Manchester City at CCS. So it's not going to get any easier just yet.

Chelsea: Kepa; Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Luiz, Alonso; Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic (Barkley, 50); Pedro (Willian, 67), Hazard (Zappacosta, 84), Giroud

Subs not used: Caballero, Christensen, Drinkwater, Morata

Cardiff: Etheridge; Manga, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett; Camarasa, Arter (Richards, 46), Ralls, Hoilett; Reid (Paterson, 71), Ward (Madine, 77).

Subs not used: Murphy, Peltier, Cunningham, Zohore.

Goals: Bamba (16), Hazard (37, 43, 80), Willian (83)

Referee: Jonathan Moss

Attendance: 40,499

Accurate and succinct

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Cardiff City suffered defeat in West London yesterday as Eden Hazard turned on the style to put Chelsea top of the Premier League with a 100% record.

Hazard took the match ball home after scoring a hat trick but the best strike of the game came from his teammate William who curled a delicious effort past Neil Etheridge late in the game.

Things started much better for Cardiff. Backed by 2,800 noisy supporters, who to be honest put the home fans to shame with their support, the Bluebirds took the lead. Predictably, some might say, it came from set piece.

Joe Ralls' floated fee kick was met by Seam Morrison who headed back across goal for Sol Bamba to react quickest and volley the ball home.

City held on to the lead despite continuous Chelsea pressure and had Neil Etheridge to thank for two excellent saves before Hazard turned the game upside down before half time. First he was involved in a slick build up to burst free and finish smartly past Etheridge and then City were undone by a quick free kick and after a less attractive set of passes hazard's effort deflected off Bamba leaving Etheridge stranded.

The Belgian took pleasure in parading himself in front of the baying City fans and I don't blame him He was getting stick when taking corners in front of the supporters and enjoyed his celebration to give a bit back.

Cardiff were second best but not out of it. City did manage a couple of corners and got the ball into the Chelsea box but the difference in quality of the players was evident. Still Cardiff worked hard and looked to get the ball forward but for me the quality of Chelsea when they didn't have the ball was as impressive as when they did have it.

Led by the machine that is Ngolo Kante they were always chasing down and pressurising City into mistakes and giving possession away quickly. The home centre halves led a charmed life for most of the game against Bobby Reid and Danny Ward. That's no slight on the City strikers, they worked hard and chased and Reid was cm's away from bringing City level at 2 - 2 but then Sol Bamba played another massive part in the game.

He went striding across to challenge Willian in the box and it was so obvious that he was going to foul the Brazilian that like a car crash it seemed to happen in slow motion.

Hazard scored easily enough to make it 3 - 1 and Willian then scored a wonderful 4th goal to complete the victory.

City did get one more good chance. Callum Paterson, on as a striker for the last 20 minutes saw his header scrambled off the line by Kepa. The two late goals made the scoreline harsh but it never looked like Chelsea were going to lose the game after they went in front.

Harry Arter left the field at half time after feeling poorly so City's midfield was under-strengthed in the second half and as mentioned Paterson came on for Reid and seem to be playing as a striker and the final sub was Madine for Ward. So I guess Neil Warnock is saving Zohore for Man City next Saturday.

Another sub not used was Josh Murphy, who on yesterday's evidence would have added much more pace that Junior Hoilett offered. The Canadian struggled to get any joy down the flanks.

So that consecutive games where the Bluebirds have scored but both have been defeats. As mentioned next week it's Manchester City at CCS. So it's not going to get any easier just yet.

Chelsea: Kepa; Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Luiz, Alonso; Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic (Barkley, 50); Pedro (Willian, 67), Hazard (Zappacosta, 84), Giroud

Cardiff: Etheridge; Manga, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett; Camarasa, Arter (Richards, 46), Ralls, Hoilett; Reid (Paterson, 71), Ward (Madine, 77).

Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

I think Brian Murphy was on the bench Mike other than that a good read