+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What a test series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What a test series

Although England won 4 -1 it seemed much closer .

Jimmy breaks McGraths record with a stunning middle wicket.

Cooky retires with 100, such a great cricketer, man and role model.

Jimmy and Cooky (best friends hugging and crying)

Ashid broke them though and stopped a draw or defeat .

Curren has a great cameo.

Wow.

Re: What a test series

That ball by Rashid 😱😱😱

Agree with 4-1 flattering England a bit as India made a good fist of the last two tests, in fact I fancied them to at least draw the series after they took the 3rd test.

Fair play to Cooke. He withstood dogs abuse in his latter days as England captain and his batting suffered big time.

I actually thought that he should have stepped down a lot earlier than he did but his mental strength and character shone through and has quite fittingly become one of the great batsmen in test cricket.

Alistair Cooke and Roy Keene... same mum?

What can one say about Jimmy Anderson that hasnt already been said... and he hasn't finished yet!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    That ball by Rashid 😱😱😱
    Up there with Warnies ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Up there with Warnies ??
    no way near warnes , this was day five on a well worn pitch with lots of rough

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    no way near warnes , this was day five on a well worn pitch with lots of rough

Fantastic series and what a team India are. Rashid is no Warne 🤢, just a lucky ball and dismissal.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    Fantastic series and what a team India are. Rashid is no Warne ��, just a lucky ball and dismissal.
    Both his lucky balls won us that game

Fantastic series and what a team India are. Rashid is no Warne ��, just a lucky ball and dismissal.
    That was an amazing ball by Rashid, who dismissed both of the batsmen who were threatening to win the game for India at one time. I'm glad he did something to show what he could bring to the team because his captain seemed scared to bowl him even with 400+ runs to play with.

Lucky . Give the guy some credit. Rash is capable of bowling some extremely good deliveries, and some extremely poor ones too. He's taken 500 FC wickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Lucky . Give the guy some credit. Rash is capable of bowling some extremely good deliveries, and some extremely poor ones too. He's taken 500 FC wickets.

He hit footholds on day 5.
    I've seen Robert Croft bowl them on a bunson burner.

I take back what i said about Cook being left out for this test A superb end to a brilliant career.

England shouldnt think its all rosey. For abroad they need a genuine quick and 2 openers and a no.3 to step up.

Dont know where the opening solution is but Burns is next up.

The fastest bowler in England is Olly Stone . Dodgy fitness record but should be thrown in.

First Team

Attended a couple of days at both of the London test matches.
    Some fantastic cricket and the Indian fans were loud and enthusiastic.
    Result was probably a bit unfair on India but you bank these results as their is always a disaster around the corner.

Thoroughly enjoyed the series.
    Much closer than the 4-1 scoreline suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That was an amazing ball by Rashid, who dismissed both of the batsmen who were threatening to win the game for India at one time. I'm glad he did something to show what he could bring to the team because his captain seemed scared to bowl him even with 400+ runs to play with.
    👍👍👍👍

You've seen Croft an off spinner (a bowler who makes the ball spin in to a right hander), bowl a ball to a right handed batsman which turns a yard and more towards his off stump? I see.

You've seen Croft an off spinner (a bowler who makes the ball spin in to a right hander), bowl a ball to a right handed batsman which turns a yard and more towards his off stump? I see.

Well I am aware that they are different bowlers , off spin and leg spin, but I thought he was assisted considerably by the pitch. If he becomes more consistent and gains in confidence then he may well have a role to play over the next few years.

Well I am aware that they are different bowlers , off spin and leg spin, but I thought he was assisted considerably by the pitch. If he becomes more consistent and gains in confidence then he may well have a role to play over the next few years.
    Are we sure that Warnies was not helped by the pitch,as I thought that's why pitches are roughed up others for the spinners , to make use of those naughty divets

Are we sure that Warnies was not helped by the pitch,as I thought that's why pitches are roughed up others for the spinners , to make use of those naughty divets
    I'm 99 per cent sure that Warne's "ball of the century" happened on a Saturday, in which case it was likely to have been on the third day, because test matches always started on a Thursday back then, so the pitch probably was not as worn as much as it was for Rashid's. I just watched Rashid's ball again on the BBC website and I think it's significant that Geoff Boycott, who must have seen hundreds of thousands of balls bowled in his life, immediately compares it to Warne's - for me, that says a lot about how good Rashid's ball was.

I'm 99 per cent sure that Warne's "ball of the century" happened on a Saturday, in which case it was likely to have been on the third day, because test matches always started on a Thursday back then, so the pitch probably was not as worn as much as it was for Rashid's. I just watched Rashid's ball again on the BBC website and I think it's significant that Geoff Boycott, who must have seen hundreds of thousands of balls bowled in his life, immediately compares it to Warne's - for me, that says a lot about how good Rashid's ball was.
    Fantastic ball, I agree.

Warne's was on the Friday apparently, his first ball in an Ashes test. I'm not sure how many deliveries have their own Wiki page but that one has.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_of_the_Century

And he starts the bowl so wide of the run in ,its an astonishing ball ,one of the best , with or without a worm pitch .
    ABC News in Aussie cover this well with clips of both

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-12/adil-rashid-delivery-compared-to-shane-warne-ball-of-the-century/10236738

First Team

As a spinner when I saw that ball I thought that it was one of the best I have ever seen. I was concerned that he was bowling so wide of the crease that it may have been illegal but that has been discounted by the pundits. I am sure that a fifth day track contibuted to the amount of turn but the vast amount of credit must go to the bowler. As another has said Boycott, who has faced some outrageous balls in his career, has called it as a stunner and I haven't heard much in the way of disagreement from the other pundits.

Was a great delivery and a little bit lucky but it’s no where near the class of warne’s, warne’s even changes direction mid flight tbh I don’t even think it’s as good as the ball to Strauss