+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: What a test series

  1. #1

    What a test series

    Although England won 4 -1 it seemed much closer .

    Jimmy breaks McGraths record with a stunning middle wicket.

    Cooky retires with 100, such a great cricketer, man and role model.

    Jimmy and Cooky (best friends hugging and crying)

    Ashid broke them though and stopped a draw or defeat .

    Curren has a great cameo.

    Wow.

  2. #2

    Re: What a test series

    That ball by Rashid 😱😱😱

  3. #3

    Re: What a test series

    Agree with 4-1 flattering England a bit as India made a good fist of the last two tests, in fact I fancied them to at least draw the series after they took the 3rd test.

    Fair play to Cooke. He withstood dogs abuse in his latter days as England captain and his batting suffered big time.

    I actually thought that he should have stepped down a lot earlier than he did but his mental strength and character shone through and has quite fittingly become one of the great batsmen in test cricket.

    Alistair Cooke and Roy Keene... same mum?

    What can one say about Jimmy Anderson that hasnt already been said... and he hasn't finished yet!

  4. #4

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    That ball by Rashid 😱😱😱
    Up there with Warnies ??

  5. #5

    Re: What a test series

    I take back what i said about Cook being left out for this test A superb end to a brilliant career.

    England shouldnt think its all rosey. For abroad they need a genuine quick and 2 openers and a no.3 to step up.

    Dont know where the opening solution is but Burns is next up.

    The fastest bowler in England is Olly Stone . Dodgy fitness record but should be thrown in.

  6. #6
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nigeria/ Surrey
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: What a test series

    Attended a couple of days at both of the London test matches.
    Some fantastic cricket and the Indian fans were loud and enthusiastic.
    Result was probably a bit unfair on India but you bank these results as their is always a disaster around the corner.

  7. #7

    Re: What a test series

    Thoroughly enjoyed the series.
    Much closer than the 4-1 scoreline suggests.

  8. #8

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Up there with Warnies ??
    no way near warnes , this was day five on a well worn pitch with lots of rough

  9. #9

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    no way near warnes , this was day five on a well worn pitch with lots of rough

    Fantastic series and what a team India are. Rashid is no Warne 🤢, just a lucky ball and dismissal.

  10. #10

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    Fantastic series and what a team India are. Rashid is no Warne ��, just a lucky ball and dismissal.
    Both his lucky balls won us that game

  11. #11

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    Fantastic series and what a team India are. Rashid is no Warne ��, just a lucky ball and dismissal.
    That was an amazing ball by Rashid, who dismissed both of the batsmen who were threatening to win the game for India at one time. I'm glad he did something to show what he could bring to the team because his captain seemed scared to bowl him even with 400+ runs to play with.

  12. #12

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That was an amazing ball by Rashid, who dismissed both of the batsmen who were threatening to win the game for India at one time. I'm glad he did something to show what he could bring to the team because his captain seemed scared to bowl him even with 400+ runs to play with.
    👍👍👍👍

  13. #13

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    Fantastic series and what a team India are. Rashid is no Warne ��, just a lucky ball and dismissal.
    Lucky . Give the guy some credit. Rash is capable of bowling some extremely good deliveries, and some extremely poor ones too. He's taken 500 FC wickets.

  14. #14

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Lucky . Give the guy some credit. Rash is capable of bowling some extremely good deliveries, and some extremely poor ones too. He's taken 500 FC wickets.

    He hit footholds on day 5.
    I've seen Robert Croft bowl them on a bunson burner.

  15. #15

    Re: What a test series

    You've seen Croft an off spinner (a bowler who makes the ball spin in to a right hander), bowl a ball to a right handed batsman which turns a yard and more towards his off stump? I see.

  16. #16

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You've seen Croft an off spinner (a bowler who makes the ball spin in to a right hander), bowl a ball to a right handed batsman which turns a yard and more towards his off stump? I see.

    Well I am aware that they are different bowlers , off spin and leg spin, but I thought he was assisted considerably by the pitch. If he becomes more consistent and gains in confidence then he may well have a role to play over the next few years.

  17. #17

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    Well I am aware that they are different bowlers , off spin and leg spin, but I thought he was assisted considerably by the pitch. If he becomes more consistent and gains in confidence then he may well have a role to play over the next few years.
    Are we sure that Warnies was not helped by the pitch,as I thought that's why pitches are roughed up others for the spinners , to make use of those naughty divets

  18. #18

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Are we sure that Warnies was not helped by the pitch,as I thought that's why pitches are roughed up others for the spinners , to make use of those naughty divets
    I'm 99 per cent sure that Warne's "ball of the century" happened on a Saturday, in which case it was likely to have been on the third day, because test matches always started on a Thursday back then, so the pitch probably was not as worn as much as it was for Rashid's. I just watched Rashid's ball again on the BBC website and I think it's significant that Geoff Boycott, who must have seen hundreds of thousands of balls bowled in his life, immediately compares it to Warne's - for me, that says a lot about how good Rashid's ball was.

  19. #19

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    He hit footholds on day 5.
    I've seen Robert Croft bowl them on a bunson burner.
    No, you haven't. That's turned an absolute mile, he's hit footholes but every spinner hits footholes and they don't turn it that much especially not an offie. Rashid has absolutely ragged that one. It's lucky but it's also down to having the talent to spin it that far in the first place.

  20. #20

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm 99 per cent sure that Warne's "ball of the century" happened on a Saturday, in which case it was likely to have been on the third day, because test matches always started on a Thursday back then, so the pitch probably was not as worn as much as it was for Rashid's. I just watched Rashid's ball again on the BBC website and I think it's significant that Geoff Boycott, who must have seen hundreds of thousands of balls bowled in his life, immediately compares it to Warne's - for me, that says a lot about how good Rashid's ball was.
    And he starts the bowl so wide of the run in ,its an astonishing ball ,one of the best , with or without a worm pitch .
    ABC News in Aussie cover this well with clips of both

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-12/adil-rashid-delivery-compared-to-shane-warne-ball-of-the-century/10236738

  21. #21

  22. #22
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nigeria/ Surrey
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    As a spinner when I saw that ball I thought that it was one of the best I have ever seen. I was concerned that he was bowling so wide of the crease that it may have been illegal but that has been discounted by the pundits. I am sure that a fifth day track contibuted to the amount of turn but the vast amount of credit must go to the bowler. As another has said Boycott, who has faced some outrageous balls in his career, has called it as a stunner and I haven't heard much in the way of disagreement from the other pundits.

  23. #23

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    No, you haven't. That's turned an absolute mile, he's hit footholes but every spinner hits footholes and they don't turn it that much especially not an offie. Rashid has absolutely ragged that one. It's lucky but it's also down to having the talent to spin it that far in the first place.
    I have seen him rip it, but the batsman padded it away, the umpire gave the batsman the benefit of the doubt as it was prior to DRS.

    To compare Rashid or any spinner to players prior to DRS is a silly.

    How many wickets would Swan have got without the assistance of DRS?

    Most modern batsmen know that if they use their pads these days they may well be given out under DRS.

    The days of thrusting the pad out are long gone and Croft would have take a bucket load more wickets if DRS was available.

  24. #24

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm 99 per cent sure that Warne's "ball of the century" happened on a Saturday, in which case it was likely to have been on the third day, because test matches always started on a Thursday back then, so the pitch probably was not as worn as much as it was for Rashid's. I just watched Rashid's ball again on the BBC website and I think it's significant that Geoff Boycott, who must have seen hundreds of thousands of balls bowled in his life, immediately compares it to Warne's - for me, that says a lot about how good Rashid's ball was.
    Fantastic ball, I agree.

    Warne's was on the Friday apparently, his first ball in an Ashes test. I'm not sure how many deliveries have their own Wiki page but that one has.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_of_the_Century

  25. #25

    Re: What a test series

    Was a great delivery and a little bit lucky but it’s no where near the class of warne’s, warne’s even changes direction mid flight tbh I don’t even think it’s as good as the ball to Strauss

  26. #26

    Re: What a test series

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    I have seen him rip it, but the batsman padded it away, the umpire gave the batsman the benefit of the doubt as it was prior to DRS.

    To compare Rashid or any spinner to players prior to DRS is a silly.

    How many wickets would Swan have got without the assistance of DRS?

    Most modern batsmen know that if they use their pads these days they may well be given out under DRS.

    The days of thrusting the pad out are long gone and Croft would have take a bucket load more wickets if DRS was available.
    Leg spinners still can't get many LBWs as it will pitch outside leg.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •