+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: washing machine cleaning

washing machine cleaning

Are you supposed to have washing machines serviced or cleaned?

I try to avoid going near the thing as much as possible, however recently it seems to leave a nasty damp smell on clothes and in the utility room.

I always treated them like an appliance you just use until it kicks the bucket and get another 1, however it works fine and is still relatively new (3-4 years)

So in short are you supposed to clean them or service them? (I hope its not a thing everyone does regularly, and passed me by) and if so how!

cheers

Re: washing machine cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Are you supposed to have washing machines serviced or cleaned?

I try to avoid going near the thing as much as possible, however recently it seems to leave a nasty damp smell on clothes and in the utility room.

I always treated them like an appliance you just use until it kicks the bucket and get another 1, however it works fine and is still relatively new (3-4 years)

So in short are you supposed to clean them or service them? (I hope its not a thing everyone does regularly, and passed me by) and if so how!

cheers
    Possible problems are:
    - a detergent residue in the tray for your washing powder etc;
    - stagnant water "trapped" in the door seal;
    - a partially blocked outlet filter.

All easily cleaned.

I run a hot program with something called Dr Beckmann washing machine cleaner or something like that.

Just had to sort out a blocked filter on mine so read the instructions for the first time since we had it (over 7 years ago!)

Turns out there’s a built in cleaning routine hidden in the controls so you might want to read the manual first...

Our new machine has a cycle ( setting ) for Drum cleaning, conveniently its called " Drum clean "

BUT

Our last one that was 10 years old started to smell a little and one wash churned out this grey sludge ( all over a white wash which wasnt great ) anyways, i spent some time looking into it and the popular answer was 1 wash ( of nothing important, we used dog towels ) " a hot wash, use SODA CRYSTALS instead of detergent ", this flushes out everything

it worked well, we used to just wash the dog towels on a Hot wash with soda crystals, the smell and great sludge stopped

By all accounts old washing detergent used to contain soda crystals, but they stopped a while back

You first of all need to drain the filter. On a front-loading washer this is usually found down the bottom on the front panel (see pics). If you haven't drained this before you might be in for a shock as to what will have accumulated there, all the contents of your pockets will find their way into this sump ... coins, tissue paper etc. - it will be a thick black sludge. Use the small hose to drain it first and then unscrew the filter. It's best to have a flat baking tray or similar and a towel to catch the water when you open it.

After you have done this, empty the contents of a small box of baking powder directly into the drum itself and put the machine on to the hottest setting and run. After, repeat the process, but this time instead of baking soda put about a litre of white vinegar into the tub and repeat hot cycle. This will help descale and get rid of any nasty odours in your machine. I do this about once every 2 months.

I recently changed the bearings, direct-drive motor, heater and drum spider, took me 2 bloody days .. never again!

IMG_20180913_084128.jpgIMG_20180913_084158.jpg

Who needs Google when you've got CCMB!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

It’s breathtaking the things we see on here

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    It’s breathtaking the things we see on here
    .....and very useful. Just back from holiday and the washing machine has been making marks on clothing making it dirtier in places compared to when it went in. Cheers CCMB. Problem about to be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    .....and very useful. Just back from holiday and the washing machine has been making marks on clothing making it dirtier in places compared to when it went in. Cheers CCMB. Problem about to be solved.
    What I suggested above might be the solution to your problem. However, if the discolouration that you are noticing resembles black, oily marks, perhaps a bit streaky, then your problem might be a bit more serious .. the bearings might have gone. When this happens there will be movement between the stainless drum and the tub itself. This can result in clothes getting pinched and trapped between the gap, causing those marks.

However, if you don't hear any unusual noise in operation, particularly during the spin cycle, it's unlikely to be bearing trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    What I suggested above might be the solution to your problem. However, if the discolouration that you are noticing resembles black, oily marks, perhaps a bit streaky, then your problem might be a bit more serious .. the bearings might have gone. When this happens there will be movement between the stainless drum and the tub itself. This can result in clothes getting pinched and trapped between the gap, causing those marks.

However, if you don't hear any unusual noise in operation, particularly during the spin cycle, it's unlikely to be bearing trouble.
    It was whitish marks left on clothing after washing. Washing powder residue at a guess and not the bearings going. Spent ages when we first had the washing machine checking it was level and making minor adjustments to prolong the life of the bearings. Done all the cleaning bit and just putting through a test wash.

All is well. Clean washing machine and clean clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    It was whitish marks left on clothing after washing. Washing powder residue at a guess and not the bearings going. Spent ages when we first had the washing machine checking it was level and making minor adjustments to prolong the life of the bearings. Done all the cleaning bit and just putting through a test wash.
    I had this, but it was more greyish in colour, tried Limescale remover ( Viakal ) in the drum, that must have cleaned it a little, as it then had LOADS of grey sludge come out on the dog towels, then i tried the Soda crystals and that worked

When the machine did die, i thought i would strip the thing apart and make a firepit for camping ( if you have camped, you will have seen them on any campsite ) well it was a right bugger to get the drum out of the plastic surround, bloody hell, in the end i used a disk cutter and cut the plastic drum, BUT you should have seen the lining of that plastic drum, solid with a grey coating ( i Guess limescale and dirt and soap powder, you could really see the issue with the " sludge " )

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I had this, but it was more greyish in colour, tried Limescale remover ( Viakal ) in the drum, that must have cleaned it a little, as it then had LOADS of grey sludge come out on the dog towels, then i tried the Soda crystals and that worked

When the machine did die, i thought i would strip the thing apart and make a firepit for camping ( if you have camped, you will have seen them on any campsite ) well it was a right bugger to get the drum out of the plastic surround, bloody hell, in the end i used a disk cutter and cut the plastic drum, BUT you should have seen the lining of that plastic drum, solid with a grey coating ( i Guess limescale and dirt and soap powder, you could really see the issue with the " sludge " )

good luck
    I took my plastic tub to a local car wash and got them to use a pressure washer on it .. it was absolutely stinking black, and this is where your water sloshes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I took my plastic tub to a local car wash and got them to use a pressure washer on it .. it was absolutely stinking black, and this is where your water sloshes around.
    i know, it was amazing, the bottom of the drum had maybe 5mm of that grey stuff attached, you could hammer it and it came of in lumps like concrete

A quid for baking powder down our Co-op and £1.50 for 375ml of caustic soda...and didn't use all of the latter by any means. Less than £2 to keep the washing machine in good condition.

caustic soda bit dangerous that.
    pull the soap dispencer tray out and clean also inside where the soap dispencer theres loads of little holes where the water comes out.
    clean the door seal with diluted bleach and run on a hot wash