+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We thought the naming of the first bridge crossing was poor , this is beyond the pale ?

We thought the naming of the first bridge crossing was poor , this is beyond the pale ?

Cornwall Council has voted to add an official apostrophe to "Land's End".

Clarification on the punctuation was needed because of proposed changes to electoral boundaries that left some council ward areas needing new names.

A debate on ward names lasted 90 minutes, and included grammatical input from a Cornish history expert.

Councillors heard Land's End has been spelled with the apostrophe in two different places or not at all, which has led to the uncertainty.

Re: We thought the naming of the first bridge crossing was poor , this is beyond the pale ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Cornwall Council has voted to add an official apostrophe to "Land's End".

Clarification on the punctuation was needed because of proposed changes to electoral boundaries that left some council ward areas needing new names.

A debate on ward names lasted 90 minutes, and included grammatical input from a Cornish history expert.

Councillors heard Land's End has been spelled with the apostrophe in two different places or not at all, which has led to the uncertainty.
    I realise your point is made in jest but these boundary changes seeks to secure future Tory advantage and leads to maintaining overly-loud English voice in Westminster so it could be linked to naming of the bridge which was a Tory (and british-labour) having little regard for Wales.

Re: We thought the naming of the first bridge crossing was poor , this is beyond the pale ?

'Beyond the Pale' is in Ireland, not Cornwall.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    'Beyond the Pale' is in Ireland, not Cornwall.
    That depends on how far beyond the pale you go. If you go far enough you could end up in Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    That depends on how far beyond the pale you go. If you go far enough you could end up in Cornwall
    Or where the land ends

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I realise your point is made in jest but these boundary changes seeks to secure future Tory advantage and leads to maintaining overly-loud English voice in Westminster so it could be linked to naming of the bridge which was a Tory (and british-labour) having little regard for Wales.
    I know it outrageous , even Jeremy Corbyns seat is at risk, plus a number of far right Brexiteers seats . Its part of the agreed reduction in 50 MP's .

That’s “Corbyn’s.....” of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    That’s “Corbyn’s.....” of course.
    Or Corbyns'

Wales to lose 11 MP's out of the 40 currently sitting in the UK Government.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Or Corbyns'
    Or Corbyns for plurality

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I used to live in St John’s Crescent
    The sign at one end read ‘St Johns’ and at the other end read ‘St John’s’
    Talk about confusion
    I didn’t know if I was coming or going
    It all got too much and I had to move in the end

Boundary changes will result in the loss of the following percentage of MP's from the UK Nations.
    NI - 5%
    England 6%
    Scotland 10%
    Wales 28%

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Wales to lose 11 MP's out of the 40 currently sitting in the UK Government.
    Really? That's appalling.

This should be a bigger story.

Boundary changes will result in the loss of the following percentage of MP's from the UK Nations.
    NI - 5%
    England 6%
    Scotland 10%
    Wales 28%
    So what do the numbers look like now / And does the other tier of Parliament members effect this in as much you have Westminster elected ones Welsh Assembly and MEP 'S ? , I thought from many debates on the board about Wales ,it was felt it was top heavy,28% seems a lot ,whats the % now ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    So what do the numbers look like now / And does the other tier of Parliament members effect this in as much you have Westminster elected ones Welsh Assembly and MEP 'S ? , I thought from many debates on the board about Wales ,it was felt it was top heavy,28% seems a lot ,whats the % now ?
    Not sure what you mean by the % now? Wales is going to lose 28% of its MP's in the UK parliament.

Putting it in numbers, Wales has 40 MP's in the UK parliament out of 650 MP's. We will lose 11 MP's giving us 29 out of the 600 that will be sitting in the UK Parliament.

Welsh Government only deals with devolved issues - many of which have just been clawed back by the UK Government in readiness for Brexit, and of course there will be no MEP's after March.

Not sure what you mean by the % now? Wales is going to lose 28% of its MP's in the UK parliament.

Putting it in numbers, Wales has 40 MP's in the UK parliament out of 650 MP's. We will lose 11 MP's giving us 29 out of the 600 that will be sitting in the UK Parliament.

Welsh Government only deals with devolved issues - many of which have just been clawed back by the UK Government in readiness for Brexit, and of course there will be no MEP's after March.
    Cheers , I wonder what equation they used to work this out, as its seems very weighted badly for Wales , is it because are geography results in more urban area s , and more towns merging with the suburbs of a central city , say like Cardiff , as a nation we are very rural.

I Would say this would guarantee being Labour forever , as the Tories will lose those posh end rural seats due to the urban votes being greater than say the Vale or Monmouth ??.

As for legislation bodies , how many levels do we want .

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    I used to live in St John’s Crescent
    The sign at one end read ‘St Johns’ and at the other end read ‘St John’s’
    Talk about confusion
    I didn’t know if I was coming or going
    It all got too much and I had to move in the end
    Do you think that verbose people should have long sentences?