+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wales away - it's not a stag weekend

Wales away - it's not a stag weekend

Couple of posts on twitter now reporting that this latest Denmark trip wasn't as good as recent trips due to small groups of fans treating it akin to a stag do and becoming somewhere between overly oafish and sexist arseholes.

Wales away fans have been great ambassadors for our country and offered great support to both male and female sides especially recently. There's also a quote from that French paper about our fans drinking a lot but seemingly handling it better than most - I think that means not acting like disrespectful tits after. Lots of work has been done via Together Stronger so hopefully people can check themselves without anything further being done, but please remember that it is so nice to have a large group travelling in good spirit and be part of that rather than something else (he says preaching to the choir).

Can also apply to following Cardiff.

Re: Wales away - it's not a stag weekend

I always thought the oafishness was called the english disease so if it true it is saddening to see this being tagged to Wales fans too.

I am currently in Budapest having I few days city break. I can't believe the disgusting behaviour of the english and to be fair Scottish too that I have witnessed here. I had my Wales shirt on and got so much abuse it was untrue. My fault for wearing my shirt I suppose. My missus was shocked at the abuse I was getting. Personally couldn't care less but it highlighted what a bunch of dick heads great britain has produced!

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    I always thought the oafishness was called the english disease so if it true it is saddening to see this being tagged to Wales fans too.

I am currently in Budapest having I few days city break. I can't believe the disgusting behaviour of the english and to be fair Scottish too that I have witnessed here. I had my Wales shirt on and got so much abuse it was untrue. My fault for wearing my shirt I suppose. My missus was shocked at the abuse I was getting. Personally couldn't care less but it highlighted what a bunch of dick heads great britain has produced!
    Really surprised you are getting grief just for wearing Welsh colours. That’s piss poor.

It was pretty childish shit to be honest but annoying all the same as it made my missus scared so we had to leave the really nice bar we were in.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post

I don't think it was widespread and I don't think people saw it as bad as what happens with England fans, but because Wales away is such a great thing and want to keep that way for all supporters. Message is everyone feel welcome to come and enjoy but make sure you don't head off in the wrong direction and spoil it.

I think the location didn't help. I travelled on a 3 hour train from Copenhagen to Aarhus and the same back as most fans booked before the venue was confirmed. Beer is 4/5 times cheaper from supermarkets than in a bar in Denmark. On my train into Aarhus which arrived before noon a number of fans had consumed about 10 33cl cans before they got off the train. I was in a separate part of the ground to other mates who said that there were loads very pissed and a bit leery. The fans in the next compartment to us on the way back polished off two (cheaper than the UK) bottles of vodka and were suitably challenged when they got back to Copenhagen.

It was the worst I had seen for drunkeness for a while and might explain the behaviour even when beer was £7 a pint in bars. Probably not linked but too many of the chants were against the Danish mercenaries rather than in support of the team as well.

Lovely cities and still most fans are a credit though!

Found myself very embarrassed at the behavior of some Welsh people to our superb Danish hosts. This includes a large number of City fans.

I've been travelling away with Wales for many years, but my number one rule now days is to avoid Welsh fans at all costs, and try and fit in with the City you're visiting.

Most Welsh fans just head for the nearest Irish bar, get bolluxed, and leer at the local females passing by.

It's not pretty.

The behaviour isn't just confined to away trips. After the ROI game last week, I witnessed a number of fans leaving the ground chanting "you jack bastards", and witnessed 2 groups of Welsh fans fighting each other.

We're all there to support Wales, if you can't give respect to your fellow Welsh fans you're hardly going to be able to give it to the rival fans.

There's no place for this at Wales games.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    I've been travelling away with Wales for many years, but my number one rule now days is to avoid Welsh fans at all costs, and try and fit in with the City you're visiting.

Most Welsh fans just head for the nearest Irish bar, get bolluxed, and leer at the local females passing by.

It's not pretty.
    Agreed, barley saw any in the meat packing district and only a few well behaved ones in Christina, shame people don't use it as an opportunity to immerse with the locals.

Think people's disappointment with our fans behaviour isn't helped by the view that somehow our fan's are better behaved than our neighbours.

Having gone on lads holidays, City and Wales away trips over the years I can't say the Welsh are generally any better behaved than any other home nation's fans and don't see any reason why they would be.

It's a shame some can't handle alcohol very well but our culture of binge drinking combined with lads on tour doesn't usually result in an incident free environment.

Wales fans are slightly better behaved, and there is rarely any 'trouble' with opposition fans.
    This is because local fans don't bother with us, and are in the main, very friendly.
    However, when England fans travel to Europe they attract every 'ultra' and "knuckle dragging" fan from that City, and it more often than not kicks off. England fans paying the price for their 'reputation' from the 80's I guess.
    I felt sorry for some England fans in France 2016, they all got tarred with the same brush.