+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh font of Knowledge that is CCMB, any career advisers on here

Re: Oh font of Knowledge that is CCMB, any career advisers on here

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    How did the issues with your summer stand-in work out?
    Brother in law did it, he didnt want any of the 900 quid a week as he said we have done enough for them over the years, so it worked out fairly well, i got him a nice bottle of Brandy

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Right lets go

My daughter has just started Yr 11, so come Nov needs to apply for 6 form / college etc etc, she hasnt really got a huge idea on what she wants to do as a job, she mentions something in sport ( which i can see ) but nothing 100%

a bit of background on her at the mo

She loves Sports, plays county netball and plays for 2 top local teams ( one adult, one Jnr ) would like to go and play super league, Her coach last year said she very well could achieve that, we have had a number of chats with Eng U21 coaches about it ( though she has no interest in playing for England, but as she said, IF Eng are interested, Wales will be ( as the Wales Netball are really years behind Eng , due to funding mainly imho ) but my parents head says she needs to have something to " fall back on ", her predicated grades are 7 in most ( 2 are 8, one of them Eng Lang ) , she has just passed her BTEC sports Lv 1 with a Distinction * ( a year early )

She also teaches swimming as a hobby at our local swimming club, also runs her schools netball club and coaches the Yr 7 and 8's, she really appears to enjoy coaching

So she has to choose what route to go

Her school and the local few do Little A levels that really interest her, she has mentioned Eng Lang, Physiology and sports ( sport is not a A level but the equivalent done by another outfit ) , the only 1 she really wants to is the sports one, will she put the effort into the others if she isnt that interested in them ? ? ?

A local College are doing a BTEC sports Lv 3 , now this interests her, but also worries her, as if she gets to the end of it in 3 years time and decides on a Uni course, if it is nothing to do with Sports, that BTEC will be rather pointless ( despite being the equivalent as 3 A Levels )

We are going to speak to our local Uni and the schools Career adviser, but thought someone on here might do it / have done it and we can have a heads-up on it

cheers in advance
    If it was my daughter I would want her to go down the Uni route and do a degree that was sport/sports journalism related. That’s where her passion is. So perhaps suggest she does the three A levels you mention because sports journalism could be an opening for her and an A level in English won’t go amiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I haven't seen any sexist posts, so no
    Hi-ah

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Right lets go

My daughter has just started Yr 11, so come Nov needs to apply for 6 form / college etc etc, she hasnt really got a huge idea on what she wants to do as a job, she mentions something in sport ( which i can see ) but nothing 100%

a bit of background on her at the mo

She loves Sports, plays county netball and plays for 2 top local teams ( one adult, one Jnr ) would like to go and play super league, Her coach last year said she very well could achieve that, we have had a number of chats with Eng U21 coaches about it ( though she has no interest in playing for England, but as she said, IF Eng are interested, Wales will be ( as the Wales Netball are really years behind Eng , due to funding mainly imho ) but my parents head says she needs to have something to " fall back on ", her predicated grades are 7 in most ( 2 are 8, one of them Eng Lang ) , she has just passed her BTEC sports Lv 1 with a Distinction * ( a year early )

She also teaches swimming as a hobby at our local swimming club, also runs her schools netball club and coaches the Yr 7 and 8's, she really appears to enjoy coaching

So she has to choose what route to go

Her school and the local few do Little A levels that really interest her, she has mentioned Eng Lang, Physiology and sports ( sport is not a A level but the equivalent done by another outfit ) , the only 1 she really wants to is the sports one, will she put the effort into the others if she isnt that interested in them ? ? ?

A local College are doing a BTEC sports Lv 3 , now this interests her, but also worries her, as if she gets to the end of it in 3 years time and decides on a Uni course, if it is nothing to do with Sports, that BTEC will be rather pointless ( despite being the equivalent as 3 A Levels )

We are going to speak to our local Uni and the schools Career adviser, but thought someone on here might do it / have done it and we can have a heads-up on it

cheers in advance
    If it was me I’d talk to Cardiff Met and the Uni of south Wales If you’re in this area or Bath if the west of England
    I’d find out What kind of sports related program they offer and what does your daughter need in order to enroll

They all run general programs like Sports psychology or Sports management but they also offer other variants

Your daughters sporting interests and achievements will hold her in good stead provided her academic attainments are up to the required standards

Once you’re enrolled in whichever Uni you choose the opportunities to develop interests and potential careers become much broader than you may have initially considered

If Uni is not a realistic route then Btec is the next option but the opportunities for a career become more limited as a result

If you can encourage her to pursue her academic achievements the world becomes a much easier place to develop her career interests

All this is my opinion and based on my experience of guiding my son when he was the same age and hundreds of students since

Is it gospel I’m not sure but it’s a way of thinking about how to arrive at the best decision that you can

I hope it all works out well and your daughter can go on to achieve her potential in her chosen career

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    If it was me I’d talk to Cardiff Met and the Uni of south Wales If you’re in this area or Bath if the west of England
    I’d find out What kind of sports related program they offer and what does your daughter need in order to enroll

They all run general programs like Sports psychology or Sports management but they also offer other variants

Your daughters sporting interests and achievements will hold her in good stead provided her academic attainments are up to the required standards

Once you’re enrolled in whichever Uni you choose the opportunities to develop interests and potential careers become much broader than you may have initially considered

If Uni is not a realistic route then Btec is the next option but the opportunities for a career become more limited as a result

If you can encourage her to pursue her academic achievements the world becomes a much easier place to develop her career interests

All this is my opinion and based on my experience of guiding my son when he was the same age and hundreds of students since

Is it gospel I’m not sure but it’s a way of thinking about how to arrive at the best decision that you can

I hope it all works out well and your daughter can go on to achieve her potential in her chosen career
    thanks

The options both ended up in uni doing the same course, it was just how she got in

3 X A levels OR the BTEC Lv 3 ( which they say is the same as 3 X A Levels ) if you see what i mean

yes its Bath Uni she is interested in ( we live 20 mins away ) She has spoken to them ( or i should say, they have spoken to her ) " ref her netball "

The Bath uni course asks for AAB for A levels OR BTEC Lv 3 D*D*D BUT her netball coach played for Team Bath netball and got on the course in Bath Uni with a BTEC Lv 3 ( so it must work ) though Bath Uni is very well respected in the sports world, so can name the price they want

It doesnt have to be Bath Uni, she has mentioned Cardiff, as after the 1st year she can go and stay with my mum in Barry, Loughborough has also been mentioned, if Team Bath are interested in her, then Lightening should be ( Loughborough's netball team )

The AAB at A Level does seem steep compared to the BTEC Lv 3 ( both will be 2 years, so the time scale is the same )

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    If it was my daughter I would want her to go down the Uni route and do a degree that was sport/sports journalism related. That’s where her passion is. So perhaps suggest she does the three A levels you mention because sports journalism could be an opening for her and an A level in English won’t go amiss.

thanks

The options both ended up in uni doing the same course, it was just how she got in

3 X A levels OR the BTEC Lv 3 ( which they say is the same as 3 X A Levels ) if you see what i mean

yes its Bath Uni she is interested in ( we live 20 mins away ) She has spoken to them ( or i should say, they have spoken to her ) " ref her netball "

The Bath uni course asks for AAB for A levels OR BTEC Lv 3 D*D*D BUT her netball coach played for Team Bath netball and got on the course in Bath Uni with a BTEC Lv 3 ( so it must work ) though Bath Uni is very well respected in the sports world, so can name the price they want

It doesnt have to be Bath Uni, she has mentioned Cardiff, as after the 1st year she can go and stay with my mum in Barry, Loughborough has also been mentioned, if Team Bath are interested in her, then Lightening should be ( Loughborough's netball team )

The AAB at A Level does seem steep compared to the BTEC Lv 3 ( both will be 2 years, so the time scale is the same )
    Bath is an good uni. So is Loughborough. With some unis, they give the student a place if they are a grade or two below the offer, so Bath may do the same thing. As a poster said, the fact that your daughter is involved in sports teams helps and is worth a mention in the personal statement.

Regarding careers, I heard that most graduates are in roles unrelated to their degrees but I study economics and politics and most jobs involve business or the public sector so when I get a job, I would not have first hand experience if that is true.

It is also worth looking up career prospects of the course and uni at UniStats as well. Also look up any training that would be needed for her future jobs (ie teacher/coach training)

I think the A-levels route, they tend to be regarded slightly better than BTEC's and provides more scope for the future as you said.

When it comes to Uni if not 100% decided I would advise anyone to take a year or two out and travel/work abroad, that extra maturity and time to decide between 18 and 20 is huge! I have worked a Ski season in Italy and worked as a sports coach in camp america, both were the best experience of my life, made friends for live from all over the world. Sounds as if this would really suit her as she already teaches sports.