+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serena Williams cries sexism

Serena Williams cries sexism

Spoilt manipulative brat or does she have a point?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...ennis/45468290

I've heard the argument that women react differently to criticism and the umpire was wrong in his actions.
    Unbelievably, IMO, the tennis authorities have backed her!

Is this the beginning of the end for men officiating on women's tennis?

Re: Serena Williams cries sexism

Must have been a right kick in the balls for her losing that final!

She can act like a petulant child as she has such an inflated ego. She's got previous for this sort of thing and I genuinely she believes is bigger than womens tennis. She knows regardless of what she does Nike are lining her pocket more than winnings can, probably the bigger her profile stays more money she makes.

Bloody awful WomMAN.

Makes me laugh , banging on about her kids thinking shes a cheat , well she said it loud enough to bring it to their attention

Then moved it to sexism

Phew we escaped the racism one I guess .

Dislike them both , they are not normally built women, and its been an unfair contest for a while in my humble view

Poor winner

I love tennis and was watching this unfold. I can't say I'm particularly a fan of Serena, but have seen her twice at Wimbledon.

It was cringeworthy. She was acting like a brat, but the umpire kept his professionalism and dignity.

There are always sports people who think they ARE the game. (Ronaldo, Hamilton, Serena Williams, o'Sullivan, Detorri). Personally, I can't think of any other successful sportswoman who has a similar attitude to her, but can chose loads of men.

Gender is irrelevant though, and if they break the rules, they should be penalised.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Spoilt manipulative brat or does she have a point?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...ennis/45468290

I've heard the argument that women react differently to criticism and the umpire was wrong in his actions.
    Unbelievably, IMO, the tennis authorities have backed her!

Is this the beginning of the end for men officiating on women's tennis?
    Most of her male and female colleagues seem to agree with her. So I'd say she has a point.

The stats do not back her up

"What do the stats say?

Williams, a 23-time Grand Slam champion, was one of 10 women punished for code violations at this year's US Open, while 26 men were fined.

Most of the fines issued were for racquet violations - 14 men and five women.
    Three men and three women were penalised for an audible obscenity, five men were fined for time delays, while four men and one woman were penalised for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bloody awful WomMAN.

Makes me laugh , banging on about her kids thinking shes a cheat , well she said it loud enough to bring it to their attention

Then moved it to sexism

Dislike them both , they are not normally built women, and its been an unfair contest for a while in my humble view

Poor winner
    Nothing sexist about this post. MUCH!

Bloody awful WomMAN.

Then moved it to sexism

Poor winner
    Usain Bolt was not a normally built man.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Most of her male and female colleagues seem to agree with her. So I'd say she has a point.
    I'm assuming that you are on her side of the pond and basing your post on what you've heard on the 'loaded' news or newspapers.
    Either that or those colleagues are 'Nike' sponsored also, in which case should their opinions not count?

I ask this because the colleagues I have heard disagree with her.
    As has been said, rules are rules and this particular umpire has been shown to be consistent in enforcing them for both genders.

Williams has become increasingly vocal, both on and off court, and thinks she is bigger than the sport.
    Looks like she is!
    Last edited by MacAdder; 10-09-18 at 15:26. Reason: bad paste

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    She can act like a petulant child as she has such an inflated ego. She's got previous for this sort of thing and I genuinely she believes is bigger than womens tennis. She knows regardless of what she does Nike are lining her pocket more than winnings can, probably the bigger her profile stays more money she makes.
    Agree with much of this but I think it's more about the narcissism than the money.

Her antics have robbed the new US Open champion, whose name escapes me , of the joy and glory she deserves.

The woman has zero class.

Load of bollox. She's having a laugh. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Nothing sexist about this post. MUCH!

Be good to get your view on the OP AA.

Good to see the reasonable well balance views of the ccmb lads

Always though she was a man?

Quote Originally Posted by KenfigBlues View Post
    Always though she was a man?
    Her physic is certainly different to most average lady tennis players ,special genetics perhaps ??

According to Celebrity Net Worth, Williams is worth a staggering £140million ($180m

Heisenberg

Her physic is certainly different to most average lady tennis players ,special genetics perhaps ??

According to Celebrity Net Worth, Williams is worth a staggering £140million ($180m
    F**king hell.

I personally thought she was a disgrace and took all the lime light from the actual champion, they talk equality but I don’t hear them saying they should be playing 5 sets

Official kept to the letter of the law and therefore should be supported - he didn't deserve such abuse. Would he have kept to the letter of the law if it had been a male tennis player? Have the papers reported it differently compared to a man? Is that sexism? Serena is wrong for the way she behaved and reacted but does that mean there isn't sexism present?

Many female and Americans agree with her. Those outside this category seem to back the umpire.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Be good to get your view on the OP AA.
    I thought she was totally out of order and deserved to be punished.

However, what she doesn’t deserve are the disgusting comments made by sexist and racist pigs who think it’s OK to attack a woman for the way she looks and the colour of the pigment in her skin.

Some of the comments on her are just vile and some of you should be ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Official kept to the letter of the law and therefore should be supported - he didn't deserve such abuse. Would he have kept to the letter of the law if it had been a male tennis player? Have the papers reported it differently compared to a man? Is that sexism? Serena is wrong for the way she behaved and reacted but does that mean there isn't sexism present?
    Btw, I appreciate the humour in someone calling sexism because they haven't been treated unfairly.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Many female and Americans agree with her. Those outside this category seem to back the umpire.
    Fellow tennis professionals?

Only the vocal ones. She doesn't have a point, she embarrassed herself, realised she had embarrassed herself and instead of getting on with it, tried to play the victim card.

Fellow tennis professionals?
    BBC had an article covering different opinions. Andrew Castle (as far as I know he's not regarded as a dinosaur of opinion) for example suggested Serena was in the wrong. See also: http://www.skysports.com/tennis/news...-greg-rusedski

Serena cannot defend the way she spoke to the umpire. All she's claiming is that a male tennis player would have been given more delicate treatment before going to the rule book to correctly call the several violations but, surely, no one can claim calling out any of the several violations was wrong. If we looked at in football or rugby, for example, her behaviour deserved one booking after another until she was sent off.

Isn't it pretty bad that the argument seems to be that in this case the female tennis player should be allowed to get away with bad behaviour because men can rather than male tennis players should in general play to the rules as well? Has Serena apologised for her verbal abuse yet?